Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default How would a Moorer vs Bowe fight played out in 1994-1996?

How would a Moorer vs Bowe fight played out in 1994-1996?

I tend to think this would be a great fight while it lasted, with Bowe scoring a mid round TKO. Moorer has good skills, and power. Morrer was was not durable, but he tended to fight back hard when he was hurt.

Its too bad we never saw this fight. If Bowe defeated Moorer, his legacy goes up a notch and might pass Holyfield's since Moorer defeated Holyfield once.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Default Re: How would a Moorer vs Bowe fight played out in 1994-1996?

Interesting topic. Some good points, I had a thought about this one when you initially made the post and had meant to reply earlier but forgot. I'm mostly in agreement- Bowe's legacy would improve a tad, except I'd still rate Holyfield ahead even had Bowe faced Moorer and won, though it'd be closer than is the case. (Evander's win against Tyson trumps anything Bowe ever did.)

In reality I can't really see past Bowe in this matchup. Moorer wasn't without talent and his southpaw style could prove awkward to fight against and he carries a fair deal of power, however his deficiency in the chin department would be all wrong against somebody with Bowe's power. The fight may well be closely poised for the first couple of rounds, however once Bowe lands cleanly with an accumulation of heavy leather Moorer is in trouble. The ref steps in to intervene somewhere near the mid-rounds.

Bowe TKO6 Moorer
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Bowe's size, power, and boxing ability prevails over Michael Moorer, but it might be interesting to see how he'd do against a left hander of Moorer's ability though.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't see why Moorer's chin is suspect, honestly.

The Foreman fight was a good shot from arguably the greatest puncher in history, and the Tua fight was well past his prime. David Tua is no featherfist, either...

Look at Jaidon Codrington in his fight with Bika. He showed pretty good chin in that fight, but he got KTFO by Green at the very start of round 1 (similiar to Moorer-Tua). Alot of people were saying he had the most china of chins after the Green fight, but he really came out and proved them wrong in the Contender finale. Codrington doesn't have an iron chin (he was hurt for pretty much the whole fight) but he certainly took a ridiculous amount of punishment from Bika before finally getting stopped.

Look at Ruiz, too. He also got KTFO by Tua early, but Ruiz actually has a good chin.

ANYONE can get KTFO at the very start of round 1 by Tua beating them into a corner...so getting beaten in that manner really isn't too telling of a china chin.

With all that said, I think this would be a very close fight, actually. Bowe was so undisciplined, as long as Moorer is smart enough to avoid the brawl (which was the only area that Bowe really had his number in) I'm fairly confident he would win easily.

Moorer (when smart) fights nothing at all like Evander did in his first fight with Bowe. Bowe-Holyfield I was exactly Bowe's kind of fight, and Moorer would try to avoid that.

...Then again, Moorer did decide to trade with Foreman (and got KTFO out for it), so it's anyone's fight!

EDIT - forgot to mention that Moorer is a southpaw as well!
radianttwilight is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum