boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #16
the_what
Bolo Punch KO
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Its been a hard year for UFC, since boxing has finally had a good one

UFC cannot market itself with non-anglo American champs. Most of their champs are either black Americans or guys from southern America and Europe. It was easier with guys like Couture, Ortiz, and Liddell. Not so much anymore.
the_what is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #17
warrior85
R.I.P THUNDER
East Side Guru

vCash: 334
Default Re: Its been a hard year for UFC, since boxing has finally had a good one

mma/ufc will never surpass boxing.NEVER!!
warrior85 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

The UFC is hurting right now for a marquis champ.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyraus
The Ultimate Fighters ratings continue to go down on Spike. Their biggest draw has lost his last two fights (Liddell). Their second biggest draw quit because of their shady business (Couture). They blew their chance to get the best heavyweight in the sport, Fedor. Their 185 pound poster boy Franklin has been dominated twice by a far less marketable Anderson Silva. Their lightweight champion Sherk was busted for steroids and suspended for a year. Their 170 pound poster boy GSP was KTFO by lightly regarded Matt Serra. Their big name Pride acquisitions like Crocop and Shogun have been complete busts. Their overall PPV numbers have been down this year from last.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say 2007 wasn't the best year for the UFC.

The only two good things they have going for them are Rampage Jackson and Forrest Griffin. But Rampage, for all his personality and style is not NEARLY as marketable as guys like Liddell or Couture, and Forrest just isn't consistently good enough to build their product around.
Great post. Sums up perfectly why UFC is sucking. Just one thing to add, which is that the alternative (Pride) was also bought by the organization which is sucking as of now in UFC.
acb is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #20
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
UFC made Boxing step up and this year Boxing was clearly better now I hope both step up in 2008 to have a unforgetable year.
Agreed.
Even if a person hates UFC, how can they argue with the idea that boxing might have felt some heat from a rival for their viewership, and produced better fights because of it.
Hell, I hope UFC remains popular and pushes the boxing world to realize they have to maintain a high level of quality if they don't want to lose viewers.

I'd hate to see boxing think that because they don't have any competition, they don't have to try as hard.
Boinko is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

UFC vs Boxing is the dumbest **** ever.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #22
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

boxing is great
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

UFC's growing popularity and success was a wake-up call for promoters and managers. Maybe fighters as well. Now boxing is getting better and better!
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #24
Darthmage
SILENCE! I KEEL J00!
ESB Full Member

I know, I hope boxing continues to get better and we have unification matches all around.
Darthmage is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #25
Sedona
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

It's the ebb and flow of life.

UFC - Liddell, Hughes & many stars defeated and Fedor won't sign up.

Boxing - the great fights started in March w/ the quez's and haven't stopped!
Sedona is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #26
Fedor Em
Enforcement, VRWC style
ESB Addict

Boxing has been making huge fights consistently for over 100 years, as long as the talent is there and the fights are being made then boxing will stay strong. Most people would rather see a straight right KO someone rather than a sub on the ground anyday. I love UFC but the science cannot be replaced.
Fedor Em is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #27
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycuban
All these UFC fighters, including their president have been talking alot of **** about Boxing, but we can all see that they were just taking advantage a the last few years that boxing has been doing bad, but now that boxing has finally had a really good year, i barely hear anybody talk about UFC anymore, so there goes to prove that you can fight a dog vs a lion no matter how tough they dog looks.

Boxing the No.1 sport in the world to be fan off, And Im a basketball player llol.
Let them continue to roll around on the ground all they want. Boxing will ALWAYS be better. **** UFC.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #28
BoardBULLY
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

most mma fans only know chuck, randy, forrest , tito and the black guy who beat chuck
BoardBULLY is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 AM   #29
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardBULLY
most mma fans only know chuck, randy, forrest , tito and the black guy who beat chuck

You mean the tall skinny one from down yonder or the one who howls before fights?
acb is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 01:50 AM   #30
lyraus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
Those UFC fighters are big names to casual fans. I am not talking about them. Wow, you named two fights in who long and they were on HBO. One UFC on Spike, which is basic cable, has two fight ofhat rating in one night. If you are a fan. If you are mostly a boxing fan then you would not think so.

True. To people like you and I. My point was that the guys who no NOTHING about MMA, BOXING etc and think UFC is MMA, they know the fighters on the cards. I don't know if it has to do with promotion or what. But I feel that as a die hard fan with knowledge of many fighters your opinion may be biased because honestly, no-one I know knows most of the boxers you mentioned. Just SMM, Gatti and maybe Cotto.
Honestly I am going to have getting people over for the PBF fight because none of them know who Hatton is. But the all know Nick Diaz.

I know but pride is gone now. It's a shame because that was the best show MMA will ever see.
If everyone you invite over to your house knows Nick Diaz but not Hatton, all that proves is that you are inviting a bunch of MMA fans over to your house and not boxing fans. The average sports fan or person on the street doesn't know who either is. Diaz wasn't even on TUF. The fact is most casual UFC fans know TUF fighters more than they know guys like Sherk, Anderson Silva, or Crocop. The only guys they know are the fighters and coaches on TUF. Guys like Liddell and Couture became well known because they were coaches in the first season of TUF then they fought each other. When you base your entire products popularity around a reality show, what happens when the ratings of that show keep going down and it eventually goes off the air?? Is that really a stable platform to build your product on?
lyraus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum