Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Name them, and why they were/ are so difficult to fight against...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

I'll start with Tommy Hearns, 6"1, had a long reach and carried massive power in his right hand. His jab was one of the best ever and his overall skills and movement were also exceptional. He was never really outboxed in his career, that shows how difficult it was to beat him.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Vantage_West
ヒップホップˇプロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

winky
toney
calzaghe
casamayor
ali(at the time very awkward)
augustus (not very talented but his style defintly wins him the fights)
ruiz
jones
hearns
whitaker

to be honest im just picking the best stylist of the sport
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
I'll start with Tommy Hearns, 6"1, had a long reach and carried massive power in his right hand. His jab was one of the best ever and his overall skills and movement were also exceptional. He was never really outboxed in his career, that shows how difficult it was to beat him.

Good example, a fighter with his size, reach, skills and power would be difficult for EVERY 147 lbs´er ever...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Vantage_West
ヒップホップˇプロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Good example, a fighter with his size, reach, skills and power would be difficult for EVERY 147 lbs´er ever...
even at other wieghts he was still spectacular.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dracula Mountain.
Posts: 4,246
vCash: 224
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

can see paul williams making this sort of list in the future.

anywany, corbett must have been a nightmare to match up against back in that day and age, with his scientific approach that so many would have been alien to.

Last edited by ThePlugInBabies; 11-15-2007 at 10:00 AM.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Vantage_West
ヒップホップˇプロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

i would like to bring your attention to john ruiz becuase i think he a horrible tough style he can punch has wieght and a bit of hieght which he uses to crush squash and manipulate his opponant.

hugging is a good phrase to use but the guy can defintly win against alot of fighters
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Vantage_West
ヒップホップˇプロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlugInBabies
can see paul williams making this sort of list in the future.

anywany, corbett must have been a nightmare to match up against back in that day and age, with his scientific approach that so may would have been alien to.
very good one.

what about greb threw alot of punches was small slipped and did this for the whole fight throuhg there is no way you can look good against him
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
even at other wieghts he was still spectacular.

Yeah, you´re right, but I meant at 147 lbs he would be even for the greatest 147 lbs´er a brutal matchup (SRR, Napoles, etc.), at 154 lbs and especially 160 lbs he would be still very good and dangerous but not as dangerous as at 147 lbs...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Valuev is also a candidate, his all-in-one-package of size, weight, chin, stamina is pretty nasty IMO...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
Vantage_West
ヒップホップˇプロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Valuev is also a candidate, his all-in-one-package of size, weight, chin, stamina is pretty nasty IMO...
but he never had a good workrate this was the problem he would never throw more than 50 punches at most.

his power came from hieght and wieght not natural power.

but yeah a good call very hard to look good against chagaev didnt look so slick agains thim either.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

1) Vito Antufermo, if he didn't cut he had a strong crowding style and threw good combo's,made Hagler struggle in 1st fight,tender skin and a protruding forehead hurt him, 2) Sweet Saol Mamby, hard guy to fight,a boxer with weird angles and moves. 3) Jimmy Young, no power, but he had defensive skills, good legs and fast flurries,pop,pop,pop, 4) Rocky Marciano, fought out of a lean back crouch and when you reached in to punch would catch you off guard with a flurries and hit you in places like collar bone,neck,ear,funny bone, not a comfortable guy to fight and deceptive defence and offence 5) Walcott, great legs, good hand speed and angle, great balance,pinpoint power in both hands, 6) Joe Calzage, southpaw speed, good movement, 7) Sweet pea Whitaker, good speed,fighting low,hiding through ropes,good jab and movement,angles Vitali Klitschko, tall, fast, weird angles and off beat rytym, solid chin, power in both hands and awkward style....this list is not in order
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
but he never had a good workrate this was the problem he would never throw more than 50 punches at most.

his power came from hieght and wieght not natural power.

but yeah a good call very hard to look good against chagaev didnt look so slick agains thim either.

For a man of his size and weight, he has a pretty high pace, and with his power, well, when he was hyped in the States power-wise (after the Barrett- fight) I was the one who said, that he isn´t a puncher, he just wears his opponents down with his enormous size and weight, but like I wrote, his combinations of chin, size, weight, pace, etc. is pretty hard, I would prefer fighting someone like Briggs than Valuev...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,457
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

I'll have a pop.


Holman Williams - Very difficult to hit due to quicks and smarts, a superb boxer who is adept at building points and pinching rounds, chin like a horse.

Jersey Joe Walcott - Hard to analyse and spar for, cute, a powerful puncher who is adept at punching around a corner and over a short distance. Durable, fantastic ring general.

Carlos Monzon - Impossible to draw out of his own game plan, which he is absolutley expert at. Great and fast puncher. Big.

Marco Atonio Barrera - What a great, adaptable fighter. Want to slug with him? 50/50 are the best your chances will be. Feel like boxing? You will lose, unless you are an absolute master. Also awkward because he is a fantastic "one arm" combination puncher, so left hook, left uppercut is possible for him. Horrible.

Archie Moore - Shares Walcott's awkwardness, but with an added understanding of the human condition. I will never forget reading stories of how he would expose the scar tissue on his stomach (post op) to a supposed punch and then coutnering before his man even landed. The KO king.

Sugar Ray Leonard - Just so elusive when it was neccesary. People try to devalue his win over Hearns because it's aid that Hearns was weight drained, but I think slugging it out with him at exactly the right moment was a beutiful thing, regardless.

Ricky Hatton - I don't care who you name - if he weighs under 140 at the weight in he is having a horrible, horrible night of it with Ricky, win, lose or draw.

Fritzie Zivic - Tactical genius. Dirty bastard. Butter wouldn't melt facial expressions when called out by the ref.

Jim Jeffries - Yeah keep hitting and keep missing. Come round 18 you'll be ready to go whatever your name is.

Charley Burley - Because if I do a list, Charley is on it. He's also a pinpoint puncher with an almost hypnotic control over the pace of any given fight. This should be Hearns really, but someone already mentioned him.

Honourable mention for the Coco Kid.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #15
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I'll have a pop.


Holman Williams - Very difficult to hit due to quicks and smarts, a superb boxer who is adept at building points and pinching rounds, chin like a horse.

Jersey Joe Walcott - Hard to analyse and spar for, cute, a powerful puncher who is adept at punching around a corner and over a short distance. Durable, fantastic ring general.

Carlos Monzon - Impossible to draw out of his own game plan, which he is absolutley expert at. Great and fast puncher. Big.

Marco Atonio Barrera - What a great, adaptable fighter. Want to slug with him? 50/50 are the best your chances will be. Feel like boxing? You will lose, unless you are an absolute master. Also awkward because he is a fantastic "one arm" combination puncher, so left hook, left uppercut is possible for him. Horrible.

Archie Moore - Shares Walcott's awkwardness, but with an added understanding of the human condition. I will never forget reading stories of how he would expose the scar tissue on his stomach (post op) to a supposed punch and then coutnering before his man even landed. The KO king.

Sugar Ray Leonard - Just so elusive when it was neccesary. People try to devalue his win over Hearns because it's aid that Hearns was weight drained, but I think slugging it out with him at exactly the right moment was a beutiful thing, regardless.

Ricky Hatton - I don't care who you name - if he weighs under 140 at the weight in he is having a horrible, horrible night of it with Ricky, win, lose or draw.

Fritzie Zivic - Tactical genius. Dirty bastard. Butter wouldn't melt facial expressions when called out by the ref.

Jim Jeffries - Yeah keep hitting and keep missing. Come round 18 you'll be ready to go whatever your name is.

Charley Burley - Because if I do a list, Charley is on it. He's also a pinpoint puncher with an almost hypnotic control over the pace of any given fight. This should be Hearns really, but someone already mentioned him.

Honourable mention for the Coco Kid.

Great post! Completely agree with your picks...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013