Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #16
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 10 fighters with the most difficult styles to fight against

Niccolino Loche ( Commit and you may be made to look foolish
- dont commit and you will be made to look foolish )

Joe Frazier ( unrelenting (unless your Foreman) Suffocating Pressure
No time to think or breathe...and that Left Hook

Carlos Monzon ( Tall Lean Back from Shots made him hard to Tag
not stylish but certainly effective )

Alexis Arguello ( Long Streight Punches made him effective from distence )
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Great post! Completely agree with your picks...
Cheers bro. I left out Jack Johnson especially for you
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #18
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Cheers bro. I left out Jack Johnson especially for you

Hey, I have nothing against him, you know that, I even wrote yesterday I believe, that he would be hard to fight against, but IMO fighters like Valuev, Burley, Hearns, etc. are the better choices...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #19
pryorgatti
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bob Foster
pryorgatti is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
1) Vito Antufermo, if he didn't cut he had a strong crowding style and threw good combo's,made Hagler struggle in 1st fight,tender skin and a protruding forehead hurt him, 2) Sweet Saol Mamby, hard guy to fight,a boxer with weird angles and moves. 3) Jimmy Young, no power, but he had defensive skills, good legs and fast flurries,pop,pop,pop, 4) Rocky Marciano, fought out of a lean back crouch and when you reached in to punch would catch you off guard with a flurries and hit you in places like collar bone,neck,ear,funny bone, not a comfortable guy to fight and deceptive defence and offence 5) Walcott, great legs, good hand speed and angle, great balance,pinpoint power in both hands, 6) Joe Calzage, southpaw speed, good movement, 7) Sweet pea Whitaker, good speed,fighting low,hiding through ropes,good jab and movement,angles Vitali Klitschko, tall, fast, weird angles and off beat rytym, solid chin, power in both hands and awkward style....this list is not in order
Good list... can you tell more about Sweet Saol Mamby? I don't know much about him.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
I'll have a pop.

Holman Williams - Very difficult to hit due to quicks and smarts, a superb boxer who is adept at building points and pinching rounds, chin like a horse.

Jersey Joe Walcott - Hard to analyse and spar for, cute, a powerful puncher who is adept at punching around a corner and over a short distance. Durable, fantastic ring general.

Carlos Monzon - Impossible to draw out of his own game plan, which he is absolutley expert at. Great and fast puncher. Big.

Marco Atonio Barrera - What a great, adaptable fighter. Want to slug with him? 50/50 are the best your chances will be. Feel like boxing? You will lose, unless you are an absolute master. Also awkward because he is a fantastic "one arm" combination puncher, so left hook, left uppercut is possible for him. Horrible.

Archie Moore - Shares Walcott's awkwardness, but with an added understanding of the human condition. I will never forget reading stories of how he would expose the scar tissue on his stomach (post op) to a supposed punch and then coutnering before his man even landed. The KO king.

Sugar Ray Leonard - Just so elusive when it was neccesary. People try to devalue his win over Hearns because it's aid that Hearns was weight drained, but I think slugging it out with him at exactly the right moment was a beutiful thing, regardless.

Ricky Hatton - I don't care who you name - if he weighs under 140 at the weight in he is having a horrible, horrible night of it with Ricky, win, lose or draw.

Fritzie Zivic - Tactical genius. Dirty bastard. Butter wouldn't melt facial expressions when called out by the ref.

Jim Jeffries - Yeah keep hitting and keep missing. Come round 18 you'll be ready to go whatever your name is.

Charley Burley - Because if I do a list, Charley is on it. He's also a pinpoint puncher with an almost hypnotic control over the pace of any given fight. This should be Hearns really, but someone already mentioned him.

Honourable mention for the Coco Kid.

Very good list. Ali would be an obvious choice.

I'll add Whitaker, Holmes, Norton, Johnson and Hamed to the debate.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #22
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jimmy Young, Whitaker, young Ali, Hopkins
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1031

Bomber Graham and Kirkland Laing deserve mentions. And even if the opposition beat him, did anyone ever look good against Johnny Nelson?

Historically Burley, Moore, Zivic, Pedroza, Loche and Jofre scream out to me.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #24
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
And even if the opposition beat him, did anyone ever look good against Johnny Nelson?

Historically Burley, Moore, Zivic, Pedroza, Loche and Jofre scream out to me.

Last edited by bb251; 09-19-2006 at 07:59 PM.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #25
Nick Balsamo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Aaron Pryor => He won't let you get your rythm, he'll impose his suffocating attack on you, no matter what you have to offer in return. He's also punching in bunches with bothering unpredictability.

Salvador Sanchez => He's too calm, he's too cool, how can you reach that guy ? He's slippery, moves his head slightly to avoid your bombs and then comes back with sharp attacks. He's excellent on the outside and maybe even better to bang on the inside. He's a complete fighter, very difficult to adjust to.

Thomas Hearns => What about that giant welterweight ? He's tall, rangy, fast and powerful. The only way to beat him is to be able to take his bombs (which 80 % of fighters couldn't do) and then get inside, trying to KO him. Without a very good chin, you cannot beat Hearns.

Chris Eubank => Strong, patient, ****y... he's a nightmare to fight. You never know what punch he'll come at you with. He waits, waits.. he tries to make you sleep.. and then, he tries to take you out without you even noticing. His granite jaw and good power prevents you to get too much excited when he's shows lethargic tendencies.

Marlon Starling => With pee-a-boo style and unusual and unpredictable movement, this ring technician is difficult to hit cleanly and repeatedly. He's not special at anything but he's good at everything.
Nick Balsamo is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

86-88 Tyson - Unrelententing speed, power, pressure. Nightmare for any small heavyweight to fight.

Hearns - Huge welter with a bomb of a right hand. Jab/grab is sooo effective when you can back it up with the bombs.

W. Klitschko - See Hearns. Height and skill with the jab make him nearly impossible to outbox, and he definately has the cross/left hook power to keep anyone honest.

Muhammad Ali - 60s Ali was a nightmare of movement, 70s Ali was a nightmare of head games, endurance, chin, and clinch tactics.

Whitaker - His slickness knows no boundries.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. - Defensive mastermind with excellent speed and stamina, nearly impossible to hit clean without taking alot of punishment in return.

George Foreman - If your style has anything to do with getting inside and/or KO, Foreman is the guy to destroy you. Inhuman power.

John Ruiz - No need to explain this, his super awkward semi-illegal style has made him a 2 time heavyweight belt holder

Harry Greb - The Human Windmill. Punches in bunches from every angle and endless stamina.

(old) Bernard Hopkins - The master at fighting dirty. Look at what he did to Winky - a defensive master - and you'll see how good he is at throwing people off their game plan. Elbows, headbutts, illegal punching...Hopkins does it all, and he has impressive stamina, too. The modern day Archie Moore, a "wily veteran".

Just the first ten I could think of, and in no real order!
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #27
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Balsamo
Chris Eubank => Strong, patient, ****y... he's a nightmare to fight. You never know what punch he'll come at you with. He waits, waits.. he tries to make you sleep.. and then, he tries to take you out without you even noticing. His granite jaw and good power prevents you to get too much excited when he's shows lethargic tendencies.
Great pick. Any all time great you care to mention at 168 and under is having a hell of a night with this guy.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #28
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

OK ..it has to be said ....Gypsie Joe Harris...
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #29
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano said that if he fought Tiger Ted Lowry a hundred times, he'd go the distance a hundred times. "I never could get used to his style of fighting." Considering who is saying this about Lowry, that's an amazing claim.

Ocasio could be a real miserable bastard to have to deal with. Young failed to solve him twice, while Dokes and Coetzer needed a second try to get it right. A peak Holmes was the only one really able to dominate an actively resisting Jaws on a first time basis for many moons. (Does anybody truly believe that Gardner/Ocasio was on the level?)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #30
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Glad to see there are still Ocasio fans, if there ever were any.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum