Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky
I say Pea gets ****ed in this fight. Yes he had great defense but his offense wasn't really there despite what these ****ing clowns tell you.

Pea may have cause to dispute his loss against De La Hoya but the fact is, it was a very close fight - De La Hoya has never had the defensive ability nor offensive style of a Floyd Mayweather

Lets say this fight takes place at 140 - Floyd still had decent power, speed that would make Pernell look average and a defensive pattern which would kill Pernell

Stop orgasmining over the past, Pernell gets ****ed.
stopped reading here.
o_money is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Not me again? Explain that.

Who cares what the majority of fighters are considered, Oscar was at his best at 140 really and was a 3 time champ by the time he fought Whitaker, the extra 7 pounds really just meant he didn't have to cut as much, I doubt it hindered his performance, especially against a smaller fighter. Oscar was not green or anything close to it as some would have you believe.
I agree. I would say that when oscar fought pea he was pretty dam close to his best. So close that him not having peaked yet shouldn't really be an argument.

Yes it was oscar first fight at the weight but its not like pea was a natural WW anyways.

Yes oscar was probably not as physically strong as he eventually became. But he wasn't far off. He was as quick as he ever was and (most importantly) didn't have the stamina problems that developed in his late twenties.

And as for green. Come on the guy had something like 250 amateur fights. A gold medal and three world titles at 2 different weight classes.
And wins over molina, ruelas, hernandez, Gonzalez, and chavez all world titlist. (to name a few)
o_money is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Oh Blocky Blocky Blocky...why do I always have to set you straight.

Whitaker was one of the fastest fighters in history....faster than Floyd. Yet another time you prove that you NEVER saw a prime Whitaker.

Now as for the DLH fight, most consider (myself included) that Sweet Pea won a close, but CLEAR UD. He was the busier fighter, he was the better defender, he landed the cleaner punches (even dropped Oscar) and kept the fight at the pace he wanted.

But, through all of that you must remember....THAT WAS NOT A PRIME SWEET PEA!!!!

The ONLY advantage Floyd (who is one of my favorite fighters....so this is NOT a biased opinion) would have is power. Thats it.

He wasnt the smarter fighter.
He wasnt the faster fighter.
He wasnt the better defender (Pea is generally considered the best EVER, Floyd isnt even the best of this generation).
He wasnt more accurate.
He DEFINATELY didnt have a better workrate.
He doesnt have the better PROVEN chin.
He has more experience.
He has more championship experience.

Its just a mismatch. Tho, with Floyd's unbelievable talent, it would still be a close fight. BUT, Sweet Pea takes it UD.
One thing thats factually wrong that you state here. Mayweather did have a better chin than Whitaker. Mayweather has never been down as a pro, apart from touching down against Judah, which was not scored a knockdown, but should have been. Whitaker has been down many times. Although most were nothing knockdowns, usually little clips to the top of the head as he was squating down. Roger Mayweather, Buddy McGirt II, and Vasquez, some others I can't mind. I will however say that most of Whitaker's knockdown's were when he was a bit off balance when getting knocked down, usually squating down low. But knockowns. He was never hurt, and got up with imediate effect.

I don't have the stats on exactly how many times Whitaker was knocked down, but its between 4 and 6 times.

And regarding the knockdown he scored against De La Hoya. Thats exactly the type of knockdown I'm talking about which happened to Whitaker most of the time during his career. I watched the fight last week, and De La Hoya was clearly off balance and falling downwards before Whitaker clipped him with that little chopping left inside. I viewed the replay of it from different angles, and the aerial view clearly shows it was an off balance slip/knockdown. Correctly scored a knockdown, but it was helped with De La Hoya slipping and being off blance before the punch was delivered.

Whitaker UD over Mayweather.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #19
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
One thing thats factually wrong that you state here. Mayweather did have a better chin than Whitaker. Mayweather has never been down as a pro, apart from touching down against Judah, which was not scored a knockdown, but should have been. Whitaker has been down many times. Although most were nothing knockdowns, usually little clips to the top of the head as he was squating down. Roger Mayweather, Buddy McGirt II, and Vasquez, some others I can't mind. I will however say that most of Whitaker's knockdown's were when he was a bit off balance when getting knocked down, usually squating down low. But knockowns. He was never hurt, and got up with imediate effect.

I don't have the stats on exactly how many times Whitaker was knocked down, but its between 4 and 6 times.
Well I said that Whitaker had the better proven chin...not nessesarilly the better chin. That is arguable.

But if you look at who has been in there with the better fighters...its easily Whitaker. And if you look at who has been in there with the bigger punchers...its also easily Whitaker. In other words he has proven it...time and time again. And like you said, I have seen pretty much EVERY meaningful Whitaker fight and as you said, I have never seen him hurt (except vs Tito, but that was an old, past his prime, ruined by drug abuse, right out of rehab Sweet Pea).

Again, proven chin....

Quote:
And regarding the knockdown he scored against De La Hoya. Thats exactly the type of knockdown I'm talking about which happened to Whitaker most of the time during his career. I watched the fight last week, and De La Hoya was clearly off balance and falling downwards before Whitaker clipped him with that little chopping left inside. I viewed the replay of it from different angles, and the aerial view clearly shows it was an off balance slip/knockdown. Correctly scored a knockdown, but it was helped with De La Hoya slipping and being off blance before the punch was delivered.
Again, I never said it was a big shot...or that he hurt Oscar with it. I stated that he dropped him...in other words a two point round. Couple that with the other things I stated about the fight and its exactly what I said...A close, but CLEAR UD for Sweet Pea.

Quote:
Whitaker UD over Mayweather.
DAMN RIGHT!!!

sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #20
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I think Floyd beats Pea, but it'd be a close fight.

I think Floyd at that weight had more power and wasn't as hesitant as he is now in the larger weights to engage. Pea never fought a guy like Floyd, and I think Floyd gives Pea all kinds of problems.

I'm a huge Pea fan though, and I'd want him to whoop on Floyd, I just don't think he could.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Well I said that Whitaker had the better proven chin...not nessesarilly the better chin. That is arguable.

But if you look at who has been in there with the better fighters...its easily Whitaker. And if you look at who has been in there with the bigger punchers...its also easily Whitaker. In other words he has proven it...time and time again. And like you said, I have seen pretty much EVERY meaningful Whitaker fight and as you said, I have never seen him hurt (except vs Tito, but that was an old, past his prime, ruined by drug abuse, right out of rehab Sweet Pea).

Again, proven chin....

Again, I never said it was a big shot...or that he hurt Oscar with it. I stated that he dropped him...in other words a two point round. Couple that with the other things I stated about the fight and its exactly what I said...A close, but CLEAR UD for Sweet Pea.

DAMN RIGHT!!!

No problem mate. I tried to add you on MSN dude, but don't think you use it, or you maybe declinded my invite as never knew who I was.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
No problem mate. I tried to add you on MSN dude, but don't think you use it, or you maybe declinded my invite as never knew who I was.
Nah I didnt decline it...I hardly ever use it (and its [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]). Add me on AIM....same name as my forum name (sues2nd).

I should really update that damn profile, lol!
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
fightking12
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Mayweather win UD his defense is too good
fightking12 is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightking12
Mayweather win UD his defense is too good
Never saw Pea's defense have ya?

Trust me...its much better.

Like I said earlier....Sweet Pea is widely considered the best defender EVER...Floyd isnt even the best defender of this generation.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #25
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

If anyone here wants Whitaker signed items, give me a shout. The guy I deal with was the first dealer to officially do a signing with him. He met Whitaker at the Mayweather v Gatti fight in June 2005, and Whitaker agreed to do a signing for him.

He's one of the biggest memorabilia dealers in the US.

Gloves
16x20 v De La Hoya
16x20 v Trinidad
8x10 standing in corner, signed by Whitaker and Duva.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #26
bigtime9
Contender
ESB Senior Member

floyd by UD no way pea beats him.
bigtime9 is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #27
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Whitaker and Mayweather are both great boxers. The way it should be done inside the squared circle. Complete prize fighters. None of this Chavez and Hatton coming straight ahead like bulls nonsene.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #28
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtime9
floyd by UD no way pea beats him.
OH NO HERE WE GO!!!

hurhurhurhurhurhurhur!!!!
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #29
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

How much for an 8x10 or some gloves?
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #30
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousxtian
How much for an 8x10 or some gloves?
Have a look on my profile on here, and you'll see the link for his site.

Signed glove $60

8x10 in corner with Duva, signed by both $30

16x20 v Trinidad $40
16x20 v De La Hoya $40

All come with COA and photo from the signging with each item.

His link is on my profile, you'll see his website. He distributes to other dealers as well. He's without question the biggest in the US. Duran, Frazier, Barrera, Lopez, Lamotta, Carter, L Spinks, Holmes, and others.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum