Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #31
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightking12
Mayweather win UD his defense is too good
He is great defensively, but he is no Pernell Whitaker
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #32
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Prime 4 Prime??
Sweet Pea gives Floyd a few lessons in the sweet science.
Floyd fans talk soooooo much shit but PBF can be outboxed. This would be one of those matchup's that prove it!!!


Sucks we gotta wait for Heaven to find out
C Money is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #33
SUNOF7
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 42
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
Prime 4 Prime??
Sweet Pea gives Floyd a few lessons in the sweet science.
Floyd fans talk soooooo much shit but PBF can be outboxed. This would be one of those matchup's that prove it!!!


Sucks we gotta wait for Heaven to find out

FLOYD OUTBOXED??? come on man. some of you guys have zero respect for mayweather because he is so good that his fights are boring. just because the opponent is not able to land many punches people hate floyd's style... Whitaker had nothing to keep Mayweather off of him. he might too many's suprise take the beating of his life. PBF has gone to 154 pounds unscathed!!! the guy is a tremendous fighter no matter what people who hate his style say
SUNOF7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #34
SugarRay
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 322
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNOF7



FLOYD OUTBOXED??? come on man. some of you guys have zero respect for mayweather because he is so good that his fights are boring. just because the opponent is not able to land many punches people hate floyd's style... Whitaker had nothing to keep Mayweather off of him. he might too many's suprise take the beating of his life. PBF has gone to 154 pounds unscathed!!! the guy is a tremendous fighter no matter what people who hate his style say
Unscathed??? Who has he fought? A past-the-prime dela Hoya??? Give me a break. A past-the-prime Whitaker beat a prime dela Hoya. There is no one on Mayweather's record apart from an aging dela Hoya who is even comparable to Chavez, Nelson, dela Hoya, along with a few others.

Mayweather won't be busy enough to beat Whitaker. Whitaker will embarass Mayweather like his other oponents at whatever weight. Whitaker UD.

Whitaker vs Mosley would be a more even comparison.
SugarRay is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #35
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston...
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRay
Unscathed??? Who has he fought? A past-the-prime dela Hoya??? Give me a break. A past-the-prime Whitaker beat a prime dela Hoya. There is no one on Mayweather's record apart from an aging dela Hoya who is even comparable to Chavez, Nelson, dela Hoya, along with a few others.

Mayweather won't be busy enough to beat Whitaker. Whitaker will embarass Mayweather like his other oponents at whatever weight. Whitaker UD.

Whitaker vs Mosley would be a more even comparison.
Well said...tho I do think it would be a pretty close fight. But I think you hit the nail on the head with what I highlighted.

And your right, I think Mosely matches up better with Pernell than Floyd does.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 AM   #36
omega dega Doom
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 33
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarRay
Unscathed??? Who has he fought? A past-the-prime dela Hoya??? Give me a break. A past-the-prime Whitaker beat a prime dela Hoya. There is no one on Mayweather's record apart from an aging dela Hoya who is even comparable to Chavez, Nelson, dela Hoya, along with a few others.

Mayweather won't be busy enough to beat Whitaker. Whitaker will embarass Mayweather like his other oponents at whatever weight. Whitaker UD.

Whitaker vs Mosley would be a more even comparison.
well said brotha!
omega dega Doom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #37
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNOF7



(1) FLOYD OUTBOXED??? come on man. some of you guys have zero respect for mayweather because he is so good that his fights are boring. just because the opponent is not able to land many punches people hate floyd's style... (2) Whitaker had nothing to keep Mayweather off of him. he might too many's suprise take the beating of his life. (3) PBF has gone to 154 pounds unscathed!!! the guy is a tremendous fighter no matter what people who hate his style say
1. If anybody could outbox Floyd, it's Pernell who was always busy, throwing in combinations, moving his upperbody, and sticking out his sharp jab. And yes Floyd could be outboxed...Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Wilfred Benitez could have outboxed him.

2. Chavez, Ramirez, and Vasquez had chins just as good, if not better than Floyd (Chavez and Ramirez surely had better chins) and Whitaker earned their respect. And Whitaker didn't take a beating from any of them...and Chavez and Ramirez true pressure fighters - Mayweather is not. Whitaker never took a beating until he fought Felix Trinidad late in his career. Why would Floyd give him the beating of his life?

3. He beat De La Hoya in a tougher fight than many expected, albeit, he deserved the win. Whitaker went up to 154 against a prime Julio Cesar Vasquez who was making his 11th defense of his 154 pound title coming off wins over Winky Wright and Javier Castillejo, and Whitaker dominated him winning big on all 3 judges scorecards. Whitaker went up to 154 unscathed as well.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #38
SUNOF7
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 42
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
1. If anybody could outbox Floyd, it's Pernell who was always busy, throwing in combinations, moving his upperbody, and sticking out his sharp jab. And yes Floyd could be outboxed...Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Wilfred Benitez could have outboxed him.

2. Chavez, Ramirez, and Vasquez had chins just as good, if not better than Floyd (Chavez and Ramirez surely had better chins) and Whitaker earned their respect. And Whitaker didn't take a beating from any of them...and Chavez and Ramirez true pressure fighters - Mayweather is not. Whitaker never took a beating until he fought Felix Trinidad late in his career. Why would Floyd give him the beating of his life?

3. He beat De La Hoya in a tougher fight than many expected, albeit, he deserved the win. Whitaker went up to 154 against a prime Julio Cesar Vasquez who was making his 11th defense of his 154 pound title coming off wins over Winky Wright and Javier Castillejo, and Whitaker dominated him winning big on all 3 judges scorecards. Whitaker went up to 154 unscathed as well.

Get your facts straight. Whitaker and Chavez met for the welterweight crown not light middleweight. Mayweather beats Whitaker worse than you think. Mayweather not busy enough??? You are basing that more on how you would prefer to see him fight but he is more than busy enough to be undefeated!!! Whitaker you say will be too busy but that will force Floyd to let his hands go and because Whitaker had no power I see Floyd busting him up. Whitaker had reflexive and instinctive defense, much of it unorthodox- Mayweather's defense is more technical calculated. His defense is better than Whitaker's and see Floyd as the stronger man. No Whitaker tried 154 but he fought and lost to some bum when his shoulder or arm went out... No way the drug abuser beats Floyd Mayweather- people need to stop deifying fighters of the past so much- Whitaker was not invincible
SUNOF7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #39
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNOF7
Get your facts straight. Whitaker and Chavez met for the welterweight crown not light middleweight. Mayweather beats Whitaker worse than you think. Mayweather not busy enough??? You are basing that more on how you would prefer to see him fight but he is more than busy enough to be undefeated!!! Whitaker you say will be too busy but that will force Floyd to let his hands go and because Whitaker had no power I see Floyd busting him up. Whitaker had reflexive and instinctive defense, much of it unorthodox- Mayweather's defense is more technical calculated. His defense is better than Whitaker's and see Floyd as the stronger man. No Whitaker tried 154 but he fought and lost to some bum when his shoulder or arm went out... No way the drug abuser beats Floyd Mayweather- people need to stop deifying fighters of the past so much- Whitaker was not invincible
Welcome to the sport, enjoy the ride
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #40
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNOF7



FLOYD OUTBOXED??? come on man. some of you guys have zero respect for mayweather because he is so good that his fights are boring. just because the opponent is not able to land many punches people hate floyd's style... Whitaker had nothing to keep Mayweather off of him. he might too many's suprise take the beating of his life. PBF has gone to 154 pounds unscathed!!! the guy is a tremendous fighter no matter what people who hate his style say

Hey pal, hate to break it 2 ya, BUT I SAW FLOYD GET HIS ASS outboxed and outfought by a 135 Southpaw lightweight Champ.
Now, it was in the gym, and I've heard every excuse. But I've been around boxing a long time, tasted the ring myself, and KNOW WHAT I SAW. Based on what i saw there?? A prime Whitaker would whip that ass.

When we get to heaven?? Be sure and wager up on ya boy
C Money is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #41
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNOF7
Get your facts straight. Whitaker and Chavez met for the welterweight crown not light middleweight. Mayweather beats Whitaker worse than you think. Mayweather not busy enough??? You are basing that more on how you would prefer to see him fight but he is more than busy enough to be undefeated!!! Whitaker you say will be too busy but that will force Floyd to let his hands go and because Whitaker had no power I see Floyd busting him up. Whitaker had reflexive and instinctive defense, much of it unorthodox- Mayweather's defense is more technical calculated. His defense is better than Whitaker's and see Floyd as the stronger man. No Whitaker tried 154 but he fought and lost to some bum when his shoulder or arm went out... No way the drug abuser beats Floyd Mayweather- people need to stop deifying fighters of the past so much- Whitaker was not invincible
You are a ****ing idiot...I said Whitaker fought Julio Cesar Vasquez for the 154 pound title when Vasquez was on a roll and schooled him. Can you read? Did you confuse Vasquez with Chavez? You say he tried 154? He won the WBA title very impressively...I suggest you watch the fight. And do this: score Floyd's 1st fight with Castillo that he won and then score Whitaker's 1st fight with Ramirez in which he lost...I bet the margin will be bigger for Whitaker's 1st fight with Ramirez even though he "lost."

Mayweather's defense isn't as good as Whitaker's. Whitaker was like a modern day Willie Pep whereas Floyd employs the shoulder roll ala James Toney. Judah's speed gave Mayweather trouble early on, but Whitaker was much better and didn't fade further into fights. Whitaker's activity and jab would have given Floyd a lot of problems and he wouldn't have been "busted up" like Judah just because Floyd increases the pressure. Floyd would have an even tougher time hitting Whitaker. In fact, if Floyd tried to pressure Whitaker, he would lose even worse.

No way a drug abuser beats Floyd? Aaron Pryor was a drug abuser, Sugar Ray Robinson had a drug problem...could they not beat Floyd? Listen, Floyd is a great fighter, but he wouldn't have beaten Robinson, Armstrong, Whitaker, Leonard, Pryor, and Duran on their best nights.

You should get your ****ing facts straight and learn a little bit about boxing history...dumb kid.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #42
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12,024
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
Hey pal, hate to break it 2 ya, BUT I SAW FLOYD GET HIS ASS outboxed and outfought by a 135 Southpaw lightweight Champ.
Now, it was in the gym, and I've heard every excuse. But I've been around boxing a long time, tasted the ring myself, and KNOW WHAT I SAW. Based on what i saw there?? A prime Whitaker would whip that ass.

When we get to heaven?? Be sure and wager up on ya boy
Spadafora right?
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #43
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston...
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Spadafora right?
sues2nd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #44
igotJUIC3
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,314
vCash: 1368
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

this is a tough one...BUT FLoyd wins if the fight is at 140...if you watch at 140 Floyd was very aggressive and he was quicker and stronger at this weight.

They both ahve their defenses and i cant say anyones is better than the other but fact is FLOYDS undefeated no knockdowns and P although he does have a great defense is unorthodox and that is why he has losses and knockdowns. At 140 PBF beats P but its a close one...i dont agree with people saying P is outrgiht a smarter fighter, faster, way better defense, these things are personaly biased because as much as people dislike floyd for whatever reasons....he is one of the best technical smart fighters to come around.
igotJUIC3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #45
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston...
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd mayweather jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotJUIC3
this is a tough one...BUT FLoyd wins if the fight is at 140...if you watch at 140 Floyd was very aggressive and he was quicker and stronger at this weight.

They both ahve their defenses and i cant say anyones is better than the other but fact is FLOYDS undefeated no knockdowns and P although he does have a great defense is unorthodox and that is why he has losses and knockdowns. At 140 PBF beats P but its a close one...i dont agree with people saying P is outrgiht a smarter fighter, faster, way better defense, these things are personaly biased because as much as people dislike floyd for whatever reasons....he is one of the best technical smart fighters to come around.
Sorry bro, but Floyd is one of my favorite fighters. But I still think Pea is smarter, faster, way better defensively, etc.

You need to watch more Whitaker fights (they are all over youtube), then go back to this post and hit the "edit" button.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013