Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

15 rounds, of course..1966 Emile Griffith vs 1959 Gene Fullmer.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In Vitalis cut.
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 75
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Griffith UD.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

griffiths beats fullmer by decision
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

I agree with you guys..Griffith could get cute and handle strong, rough guys like Fullmer and Tiger.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I agree with you guys..Griffith could get cute and handle strong, rough guys like Fullmer and Tiger.
tiger was no problem for emile
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 215
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

I think Fullmer's unorthodoxy (and fouling) would have troubled Griffith more than Tiger's steady attacks did...and that first Tiger fight, alot of people thought Tiger won. I would still pick Griffith by decision due to being able to get his punches off quicker, and maintaining distance...if Griffith doesn't maintain that distance he loses by 15 round mugging.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
I think Fullmer's unorthodoxy (and fouling) would have troubled Griffith more than Tiger's steady attacks did...and that first Tiger fight, alot of people thought Tiger won. I would still pick Griffith by decision due to being able to get his punches off quicker, and maintaining distance...if Griffith doesn't maintain that distance he loses by 15 round mugging.
A fine analysis.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
I think Fullmer's unorthodoxy (and fouling) would have troubled Griffith more than Tiger's steady attacks did...and that first Tiger fight, alot of people thought Tiger won. I would still pick Griffith by decision due to being able to get his punches off quicker, and maintaining distance...if Griffith doesn't maintain that distance he loses by 15 round mugging.
And I believe that Griffith would have maintained the distance in the same way he did vs Tiger. That was the neat thing about Griffith was his adaptability...a boxer vs Tiger...a semi-agressive, crowding type of guy vs Archer...he would have conservatively outboxed Gene over 15..it would have been close as hell and no real damage would have been done to either guy. Gene would have noticed a big difference, strength and savvy-wise with Griff as opposed to that other welter, Paret, for instance.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 215
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
A fine analysis.
Thanks laxpdx.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,342
vCash: 215
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
And I believe that Griffith would have maintained the distance in the same way he did vs Tiger. That was the neat thing about Griffith was his adaptability...a boxer vs Tiger...a semi-agressive, crowding type of guy vs Archer...he would have conservatively outboxed Gene over 15..it would have been close as hell and no real damage would have been done to either guy. Gene would have noticed a big difference, strength and savvy-wise with Griff as opposed to that other welter, Paret, for instance.
Agreed. Griffith's strength sees him through the rough inside stuff. I see him being able to maintain that distance consistantly enough for the win. Paret wasn't a bad fighter at all, he just fought a totally wrong strategy and got caught in a fight of going toe to toe with a strong, brawling middleweight.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
I think Fullmer's unorthodoxy (and fouling) would have troubled Griffith more than Tiger's steady attacks did...and that first Tiger fight, alot of people thought Tiger won. I would still pick Griffith by decision due to being able to get his punches off quicker, and maintaining distance...if Griffith doesn't maintain that distance he loses by 15 round mugging.
Agreed.

I think Fullmer's unorthodox rushes and unbridled aggression could trouble Griffith like mad. Now, Griffith is a superb textbook boxer and when he is allowed to box he can do fantastic stuff, but Luis Manuel Rodriguez had an unorthodox rhythym in his boxing, and really messed up Griffith's range control. And early in Emile's career a tough Argentinian named Jorge Fernandez troubled Griffith with a fast aggressive inside strategy, Griffith countered this by getting down of his toes and punching to keep Fernandez off and it worked.

I just don't see Griffith punching hard enough to keep Fullmer off of him, or to back up Gene. So for that reason I favour Fullmer.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
A fine analysis.
I agree
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Agreed.

I think Fullmer's unorthodox rushes and unbridled aggression could trouble Griffith like mad. Now, Griffith is a superb textbook boxer and when he is allowed to box he can do fantastic stuff, but Luis Manuel Rodriguez had an unorthodox rhythym in his boxing, and really messed up Griffith's range control. And early in Emile's career a tough Argentinian named Jorge Fernandez troubled Griffith with a fast aggressive inside strategy, Griffith countered this by getting down of his toes and punching to keep Fernandez off and it worked.

I just don't see Griffith punching hard enough to keep Fullmer off of him, or to back up Gene. So for that reason I favour Fullmer.
Interesting analysis GP..in other words Fullmer's unorthodox ways would present Griff with more problems than Tiger's more methodical approach? Fullmer was somewhat of a more sophisticated and purposeful Oscar Bonavena stylewise.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417 View Post
Agreed. Griffith's strength sees him through the rough inside stuff. I see him being able to maintain that distance consistantly enough for the win. Paret wasn't a bad fighter at all, he just fought a totally wrong strategy and got caught in a fight of going toe to toe with a strong, brawling middleweight.
He was a good welter, but Paret just didn't have the wherewithall and strength to deal with a Fullmer.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs Gene Fullmer

Fullmer probably draws Griffith into a mess and does more of the work to earn the judges' decision.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013