Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,312
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
They look dodgy but they're not for style- they're for performance. dont wear them on a date....
My mum calls then "the hobbit feet".
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #17
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
I dont mean to be disrespectful either but that was a very, very low level of fist fighting, the guy who lost kept going over from grazing hooks like he had never been hit before. Today underground bare knuckle fighters watch modern boxers and use that style, hence this was a short fight. They are not full time fighters. Experienced Irish travlers do revert to the old style in long fights, it has nothing to do with "lack of skills".

Im not saying hooks cant be used for fist fighting, I am only repeating what dempsey said - he did not lead from long range with hooks in bare knuckle fights. He advised leading with streight shots without gloves because he was experienced at it. Hooks are saved for a defenceless target closer in.
ohhh that is cleared up, i guess we misunderstood
and i do you see your point with the irish travlers



to the guy who brought up early mma, who said the damaged were from hooks and not straight punches???

and in the early days of mma there very few skilled strikers and thusly lots of sloppy punches which lead to damaged hands even with gloves.


watch burmese boxing and you will see these guys have a high guard
and hit each other plenty with all sorts of shots without gloves,
also watch irish travelers, again lots and lots of punches of all types

very few hand injuries espically in burma, where they fight every few weeks



the point i was making is that almost any style in the world with or without gloves uses modern style boxing punching and hands held high.


and about modern bareknucle guys boxing like normal boxers....well whats the point, it just shows the modern style works



and just from my own experience in street fights, hooks actually feel safer to throw, because they head the side of the head mostly which is not as hard as the front,



and the guy in the video, well he seems to have a quite a solid rep
and i would favor him over a guy who uses his fists like a fencer lol

ohh yeah no in the modern boxing, burmese boxing,mma or in most cases in ireland fights like their fists are a sword.......ever wonder why lol
highguard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,650
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post


and just from my own experience in street fights, hooks actually feel safer to throw, because they head the side of the head mostly which is not as hard as the front,


Perhaps but there is no way (unless you are utterly inexperienced) you would throw one from long range on the outside in a bare knuckle fight. Or atempt a hooking combination on the way in. The old style stance developed over hundreds of years for a glove and wrap free format because it worked. Sure you can hook a guy who aint looking, but where is the honor in that?

Last edited by choklab; 02-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,395
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
i dont want to sound disrespectful but i have to say
the whole statement with dempsey is really stupid and does not make sense
i am sure said dempsey that he had to box different without gloves not about hooks to the head,

the elbows are dangerious when your throwing body punches with no gloves or even sometimes with gloves....

against a hook to the head an elbow does not up high enough and even if it did, you would hit on the soft side...

when it comes to elbows defending the face i have only heard that being used in kali
against straight punches,

here is a video of a famous bareknucle boxer...level
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

you will see that in this fight the hooks work better then even the straight punches,
i can bring up many fights from ireland to kimbo slice showing that hooks
are as good as straights without gloves...



as far as the stance goes, notice all these guys keeps their hands high,
and in mma with little gloves, they keep their hands up even higher then in boxing, some goes from burmese boxing, with like muay but with no gloves
and yes many ko's come from hooks


bottom line
the reason many of these guys 150 years used sword like punches
is the same reason they would most often lean back from a punch,

its called lack of skills............

i dont mean to disrespect them but it is what it is
Your wrong, here's why. Dempsey talks about this in street fighting, not in just a square dance (No gloves boxing fight). The idea is to use a straight jolting left from far distance before getting into grappling range. It's to extrapolate the best chances. Obviously hooks are very effective, especially in close. But in a no gloves boxing match the rules are not the same as a street fight when the other guy has the intentions of taking you down.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,650
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
. As for mma...mma fighters often broke their hands due to trying hooks in the early years of mma..then they gave them gloves which protects the hands pretty well.

thats what i am talking about! If bare knuckle fighting took off again in a big way and real fighters took part in it the old style would come back. Take gloves off them, no hand wraps and good fighters will revert to using the leaning back fencing jack johnson stance prety quick.

Bare hands would get smashed to peices fighting with a modern tempo style and stance, which is why so much tape is used under gloves today.
choklab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #21
eslubin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Yeah go back to Jack Johnson style so every fight would be boring!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndqOzDUUYsI[/ame]
eslubin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #22
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Guys is it true the foot form things smeel like crap after only a few uses?


lol I can actually imagine that
reznick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #23
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
Posts: 9,852
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
Guys is it true the foot form things smeel like crap after only a few uses?


lol I can actually imagine that
nah, but i wash mine regularly.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #24
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SBA
Posts: 20,130
vCash: 75
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
nah, but i wash mine regularly.
curry feet sweat
Leon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #25
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Perhaps but there is no way (unless you are utterly inexperienced) you would throw one from long range on the outside in a bare knuckle fight. Or atempt a hooking combination on the way in. The old style stance developed over hundreds of years for a glove and wrap free format because it worked. Sure you can hook a guy who aint looking, but where is the honor in that?


lets put something in place here, i was not talking about just leaping in with a hook or hitting someone when they are not looking,,,,trust both happen alot....


squared up or not, a hook is harder to see then a straight punch because it comes around your vision, and espically with no gloves or little gloves
where the hands are faster and the hooks are harder to block....

as far as honour goes, i myself dont hit people when they are not looking
but my friend if you think a lot of people will square up with you and give you a "fair" fight,
you might wake up in a hospital asking yourself what happened....


squareing up, with hands up almost never happens in real life, atleast very rarely....

i grew up in russia, then in a black ghetto and worked as a bouncer later for 4-5 years, so i have been in some fights trust me and seen many many more....


with the other guy that mentioned a striaght jolt, to set a big punch hook or not that....this is a good idea, and i have done it myself.


hooks are better in close, then further out but they can used from far too that is while both combat sambo and systema
use a lot of looping punches, and from there many russian boxers use also them because of the influence. vitali kitchko is good example,
in mma fedor


to the guy who mentioned takedowns in real fights, sure they happen but most people are not trying to take you down, they want to hurt as quick as possible, with punches or a bottle or whatever,
plus being on the ground is not a good idea in a real because of dirty stuff like biting and more importantly, many real fights are not 1-1
(ps i did bjj for over 5 years)



but back to the stance, and hook issue,
i do respect the old time bare knucke guys but you think
they knew more then modern boxers, combat sambo, systema,mma guys, burmenese boxers etc etc etc
all combined

if you watch guy a lot of guys in the early 1900's many of them leaned back from punches with the chin high
why???
because that is not all that to do if the guy is mainly throwing straight
when hooks come into play things change....



starting a fight bareknucle or gloved with a hook is not a great idea
but the hook is as an important punch as any other


the funny thing only bareknucle style or gloved for that matter
that looks kinda like what these guys did is actually wing chun
highguard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #26
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Default Re: Old School Boxing Stance - Interesting Article

just to mention something

i have done boxing for over 10 years
bjj for about 5 years
wrestling in university for a bit

and have done a bit of muay thai, sambo and systema,
wing chun,takwondo

so i have done differnet style and not just boxing
and am aware of different ways of punches etc
highguard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013