Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
markusmaar
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Holyfield and the mainstream sports fan

With his victory tonight, we haven't seen the last of Evander Holyfield in the boxing ring. Perhaps this isn't a bad thing for boxing.....

In the quest for a (publicly) recognized champion, Holyfield could be of tremendous value. Imagine the following scenario:

Holyfield gets a title shot against one of the current Heavyweight champs (let's say Chagaev or Ibragimov) and it becomes a moderate PPV success. (Hold on, this isn't the point yet)

If Holyfield wins, the public recognizes him as the "legitimate" champion. If he loses, his conqueror is seen as the "legitimate" champion. (Now comes the useful part)

Either way, the winner must then face the Winner of Klitscko/Brewster, or the winner of Peter, Maskaev, V. Klitschko.

The casual (mainstream) boxing fan would then have a recognizable Heavyweight boxing champ, without having to unify all the titles (those left out would be irrelevant to the mainstream sports media).

I'm not stating that I wish for this to happen, nor do I predict it. Yet, it would be interesting and could help usher in a (hopefully) new, younger Heavyweight champ for the public to acknowledge.

Thoughts?

Markus
markusmaar is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
ibragimovfan
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield and the mainstream sports fan

holyfield will probably get another title shot. and if and when it happens he will get destroyed. he looked good tonight because he was fighting another old journeymen fighter who's most impressive win is over buster douglas. dont get me wrong i've got nothing against holyfield but ibragimov, maskaev, and especially klitschko would knock this guy silly. and if he has to fight lets say nikolai valuev to get another title shot he may never even make it to a title fight.
ibragimovfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum