boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
BSiebol

vCash: 500
Default Nino Benvenuti vs Fraser Scott

I am looking for a tape of the fight. Does anybody know how I could locate a copy of the bout?
BSiebol is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
klompton2
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Nino Benvenuti vs Fraser Scott

What do you need it for?
klompton2 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
BSiebol

I am a former boxing editor of Northwest Boxing Reveiew , which covered professional boxing in the Northwest part of the United States and Canada, (Washington, Oregon, Idaha, Montana and British Columbia. I am working on a book on boxing in the Pacific Northwest. I would like to get a copy of the fight. Fraser Scott was a popular middleweight in Seattle.
BSiebol is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Oddly enough, I was watching a very old, and in bad condition film of Carlos Monzon vs what looked like Fraser Scott (they met in a non title bout).....and Fraser wasn't doing very well to say the least, but like I say, the vid was in pretty bad shape...some kind of Argentine archive...it then jumped to Monzon vs Bogs abruptly.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
BSiebol

Red Cobra, I have seen the of the bd condition film of Monzon-Scott. I also have seen a better lengthier footage of Scott training for the Monzon fight in Buenos Aires. The Benvenuti-Scott was televised on Wide World of Sports in America....but I can't seem to find footage on the controversial fight.
BSiebol is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSiebol View Post
Red Cobra, I have seen the of the bd condition film of Monzon-Scott. I also have seen a better lengthier footage of Scott training for the Monzon fight in Buenos Aires. The Benvenuti-Scott was televised on Wide World of Sports in America....but I can't seem to find footage on the controversial fight.
Well, best of luck to you in your quest of finding this fight on film,...I remember reading about Fraser Scott and his fight with Benvenuti...sort of an off night for the sometimes erratic Nino. The Italian usually redeemed himself in style in the rematches.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1447

Quote:
I am a former boxing editor of Northwest Boxing Reveiew , which covered professional boxing in the Northwest part of the United States and Canada, (Washington, Oregon, Idaha, Montana and British Columbia. I am working on a book on boxing in the Pacific Northwest. I would like to get a copy of the fight. Fraser Scott was a popular middleweight in Seattle.
I remember the NWest boxing review-that along with Flash Gordon and Canada's ruckmaker First Round Boxing were newsletters that I always read.Good luck on your quest and thanks for the memories!
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
klompton2
Belt holder
ESB Addict

All I will say about it is that when a fighter gets DQd for ducking punches you know its home cooking. At this point in his career Nino was not Nino and was relying on homecooking to win fights. Ask Doyle Baird.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
BSiebol

Fraser Scott was definitely a odd personality....average fighter at best...his two wins over Denny Moyer were on cuts. I was at the 2nd Moyer bout and it was close at stoppage. But from everything I have read, Nino might have lost the Scott fight had it been in the United States. And klompton 2, it would have been like the first Baird fight, only with the title on the line.
BSiebol is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
BSiebol

The only thing Benvenuti says in his book "The World In My Fist", about the Scott fight is, "thank goodness I dispatched of him quickly". ????? Strang comment since he won by disqualification.
BSiebol is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
klompton2
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Fraser Scott was definitely a odd personality....average fighter at best...his two wins over Denny Moyer were on cuts. I was at the 2nd Moyer bout and it was close at stoppage. But from everything I have read, Nino might have lost the Scott fight had it been in the United States. And klompton 2, it would have been like the first Baird fight, only with the title on the line.
It was more like the second Doyle Baird fight in which the referee stopped the fight for no reason at all, or rather because it was in Italy and Benvenuti was Italian.

Scott may not have won against Benvenuti, who will ever know, but he shouldnt have been stopped. Weakest stoppage Ive ever seen.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I can't recall for the life of me what Scott's sin was that caused a DQ in a title bout.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
klompton2
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
I can't recall for the life of me what Scott's sin was that caused a DQ in a title bout.
He was DQd by the ref for "ducking his head too low", which A. he wasnt doing and B. wasnt a violation of the rules governing the bout. The referee "incorrectly" applied a rule used in amateur boxing and in some European bouts to warn and then DQ Scott. However, as I said those rules werent governing this bout so he was wrong anyway. In reality Scott was slipping and ducking Benvenuti's punches. Apparently making the hometown boy miss was a no no.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

BSiebol- Sounds like an exciting work. When do you expect it to come out? Are you including Alaska, also?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton2 View Post
He was DQd by the ref for "ducking his head too low", which A. he wasnt doing and B. wasnt a violation of the rules governing the bout. The referee "incorrectly" applied a rule used in amateur boxing and in some European bouts to warn and then DQ Scott. However, as I said those rules werent governing this bout so he was wrong anyway. In reality Scott was slipping and ducking Benvenuti's punches. Apparently making the hometown boy miss was a no no.
Well, that sort of thing is shameful, to say the very least,...and the thing about it is that on most occasions, Ninoacquitted himself very well, and maybe the Italian officials felt somewhat skittish about their hometown hero, the dashing Sr. Benvenuti...like he was getting inconsistant on them all of a sudden or something...and the same thing happened in with Monzon vs Denny Moyer...but really, the great Monzon really never had any need for protective treatment like that. It's the sort of thing that a visiting challenger gets the heebie-jeebies about, unfortunately,...like when Saoul Mamby was robbed of winning the light welter title in Thailand vs Muangsurin...a classic robbery, so when he got another chance, this time vs Sang Hyun-Kim, this time in Korea, he took all that partisan **** out of the hands of the ever-protective officials there by uncharacteristically going for the the kill...the ko (tko)...and persevered.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum