Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
joebeadg
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Shavers/Frazier

While not as hard jawed as Foreman, I think Joe might have a better chance with Earnie, though I think would land some of those bombs early and smoke Joe out, what do you think?
joebeadg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Shavers/Frazier

Frazier wears him down and stops him.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can't imagine Earnie's training and corner wouldn't be geared to a fast explosive start as his only chance here. That and Joe's usual slow to warm up would give Shavers an interesting shot. The Frazier that took Quarry's best right hands to the jaw and kept coming would break Earnie down in the mid rounds.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Frazier had the class of the 2 Earnie had a good punchers chance....I remember Quarry in a quick blow out fight vs Shavers...Frazier did not start fast and could get caught but I think the smoke start about rd 2 and the hook may end it quickly...but beware, Earnie could hurt Joe...but the class belongs to Frazier
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Prime vs prime?

Easy win for Frazier

Too elusive, fast, and had too much stamina for Shavers.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Joe proved with Zyglewicz (scored a knockdown 13 seconds in), Daniels (knockdown at the end of round one) and Ramos (only the ropes prevented Manuel from going down near the end of round one) that he wasn't always as slow a starter as stereotyped. He also unloaded 64 punches in the opening round of the first Quarry bout (where Jerry threw 93).

For his part, not only was Earnie blown out by JQ, but Ellis had him going in a corner before Harold Valan's break gave Shavers the opening he needed. And on the Berbick-Holmes undercard, it was Earnie who had to climb off the deck in the opening round to produce the definitive comeback win of his career against Jeff Sims.

I think it's likely Joe gets caught and dropped early as he did in the first bout with Bonavena. But I also believe he'd be prepared for what Earnie could bring, come in ready for battle at the opening bell, and be extremely active with his bob and weave and swarming style. Foreman's aggressive use of physical strength combined with height and reach was crucial in his wins over Joe. Shavers was not adverse to holding and hitting, but he didn't manhandle and maul opponents the way George did, and Frazier's physical strength was fine against Ali, Quarry, Cummings, Chuvalo, Stander and Bonavena, all known as physically strong heavyweights themselves.

Smoke could recover if hurt, and he likely would be. But when Frazier swarms into close quarters and unloads his shorter and quicker hook, Earnie would have a tough time recovering if stunned against this kind of adversary, who wouldn't give him a chance to recover. Joe's cross armed defense wouldn't allow Earnie's particular uppercut to split his guard much, and Frazier could turn those long arms of Shavers into a liability once in the trenches, inside that massive concussive force. Earnie liked having punching room. Frazier needed less punching room than perhaps any other heavyweight champion.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
alexvoce

vCash:

easy win for frazier
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Love Earnie, 'The Dark Destroyer', but think Joe would take him out in '4'.
Can see those left hooks crashing into Mr. Shavers, early and often.

Not to say, that Earnie couldn't wobble Joe a moment or two.
Il Duce is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum