Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default JMM's Legacy-Where does it land?

For me, Juan Manuel Marquez may have reached a turning point with his exciting, but so far short, reign as lightweight champion

Looking back through the years, his legacy seemed set in stone and yet has changed constantly...

Legacy 1-unknown mexican technician who lost to Norwood

Legacy 2-brilliant mexican technician who Hamed avoided like the plague

Legacy 3-distant 3rd in the trio of brilliant mexican featherweights of the era

Legacy 4-the man who gave a prime pacquiao his toughest fights

Legacy 5-not so distant 3rd (many would argue 1st or 2nd) in the trio of brilliant mexican featherweights of the era

Legacy 6-The longest lasting and most technically superior of the 3

Legacy 7-Champion at feather, super feather and lightweight champ...avoided by pacquiao (according to some) and a surefire HOF

Legacy 8-?

So in the end, 20 years from now let's say, which one of the above will be applicable? Will there be a new legacy forged?
Jorodz is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: JMM's Legacy-Where does it land?

I disagree about the most technically superior of the 3 mexicans.......The man who gave a prime Pac his toughest fights is the better definition in my opinion......This will be his trademark..............forever in boxing history.....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

He will end up beeing recognised rather very good than great.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

One of the greatest combination punchers of all time. Equal in resume to Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales. Equal to Manny Pacquiao H2H. Sure as **** ATG when enough time has past for historians to consider his career history
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
He will end up beeing recognised rather very good than great.
Greatness will be questioned by guys like this ***got, because he fought in the modern era.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Equal to Manny Pacquiao H2H.

Anyway I think he will be remembered as one of the best of the decade and a memorable fighter/fan favorite, but limited in a few respects. Kind of like an Aaron Pryor.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post

Anyway I think he will be remembered as one of the best of the decade and a memorable fighter/fan favorite, but limited in a few respects. Kind of like an Aaron Pryor.
Whats funny fat Albert? Maybe Pacman overall is superior H2H. I meant man to man though. He undoubtedly proved to be his equal, no???
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
Whats funny fat Albert? Maybe Pacman overall is superior H2H. I meant man to man though. He undoubtedly proved to be his equal, no???
Why you gotta be that way pachilles? It's funny because Pac has proved to be JMM's superior h2h pretty well over the past couple of years. starching guys people said would take him to the morgue at weights way higher than any of their fights, showing an overall improvement in boxing skill since then, while jmm has had wars at lw with juan chunky lightweight diaz, and guys like Katsidis... They might have been competitive a while back, but make no mistake pac would bend him over and **** him if they fought now. believe that.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Why you gotta be that way pachilles? It's funny because Pac has proved to be JMM's superior h2h pretty well over the past couple of years. starching guys people said would take him to the morgue at weights way higher than any of their fights, showing an overall improvement in boxing skill since then, while jmm has had wars at lw with juan chunky lightweight diaz, and guys like Katsidis... They might have been competitive a while back, but make no mistake pac would bend him over and **** him if they fought now. believe that.
i love the wars on the classic.

anyway, thanks for the input guys and keep it coming. In terms of the Mexican 3, do you think he's out of the shadows of morales and barrera?
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
I disagree about the most technically superior of the 3 mexicans.......The man who gave a prime Pac his toughest fights is the better definition in my opinion......This will be his trademark..............forever in boxing history.....
while i think both morales and barrera were slightly better in their primes (****, barrera proved it when he was WELL past prime against marquez) i feel marquez is clearly the best of them on a technical level. morales countered that with aggression, heart and power but on a textbook basis, marquez edges it
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

I think hell go down as a great boxer who was just slightly behind the elite
chatty is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
the brown bomber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

I post on other boxing forums and often take heat for not holding JMM in as high esteem as most.

I agree he is one of the best of the modern era.

I do think there are some legitimate criticisms of him though.

Really outside of being 0-1-1 verse Pac what truly great win is on his resume? Barrera is good but was past his prime and the fight was close. Casamayor was a solid win but again past his prime.
You can argue that he won John but not Norwood. Even so the official record is a loss to both. The Mayweather fight was a disaster for him. So where is the great wins in a period when there were plenty of good fighters in his weight area? Sure it could be people were ducking him but many fighters started out ducked but forced themselves into the middle of the mix. Nobody wanted to fight Winky Wright but he made it happen.

His style is good. He is a pure counter puncher. Solid defense. His right hand is on the elite level. When I watch videos I just don't see him measuring up to a Sanchez, Pep, Saddler and definitely not the great lightweights.
the brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Thats only because Pacquaio is physically bigger than Marquez, Marquez is older now and styles make fights.

Marquez is a great fighter, a real champion who took on all manner of styles whether boxer movers, slick defensive fighters, pressure fighters, punchers, or raw physica phenomenons over 3 divisions and is still a lineal champ at the age of 37 and for many fans beat the fighter of the decade twice while mounting 1 of the best comebacks from adversity in boxing history
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the brown bomber View Post
When I watch videos I just don't see him measuring up to a Sanchez, Pep, Saddler and definitely not the great lightweights.
Saddler is made to measure for Marquez, you can't take a punch to land a punch against Dinamita
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Greatness will be questioned by guys like this ***got, because he fought in the modern era.
I love you too, sweetypie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the brown bomber View Post
I post on other boxing forums and often take heat for not holding JMM in as high esteem as most.

I agree he is one of the best of the modern era.

I do think there are some legitimate criticisms of him though.

Really outside of being 0-1-1 verse Pac what truly great win is on his resume? Barrera is good but was past his prime and the fight was close. Casamayor was a solid win but again past his prime.
You can argue that he won John but not Norwood. Even so the official record is a loss to both. The Mayweather fight was a disaster for him. So where is the great wins in a period when there were plenty of good fighters in his weight area? Sure it could be people were ducking him but many fighters started out ducked but forced themselves into the middle of the mix. Nobody wanted to fight Winky Wright but he made it happen.

His style is good. He is a pure counter puncher. Solid defense. His right hand is on the elite level. When I watch videos I just don't see him measuring up to a Sanchez, Pep, Saddler and definitely not the great lightweights.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum