Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who wins a fight between these forgotten heavyweights?
Joe Louis 12 52.17%
George Foreman 11 47.83%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #31
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Louis VS George Foreman

Louis couldn't simply be punched out at his peak, as he proved against the Baers and Galento. Nor could he be physically overpowered by a larger opponent, as Abe Simon and Primo Carnera discovered. (Don't forget that this was when six ounce gloves were used as well.)

Joe would have the center line, the lower center of gravity, the faster hands and shorter punches. Moving in, he could also make himself a very narrow target, somewhat difficult for George to shove away to arm's length. He'd be inside Foreman, between his arms and wide shots, splitting Big George's defense. Once Joe planted himself against a bigger adversary, he could be difficult to force into retreat. Boxing is ultimately a punching sport, not a sumo contest. The taller Foreman would not win by simply pushing Louis backwards.

Let's not forget that Louis destroyed Carnera quickly, blasted out Buddy Baer in a single round in their rematch, handed Galento and Uzcudun the only career knockdowns they ever sustained, and beat the crap out of the huge Simon twice. Yes, Buddy and Two-Ton each managed a flash knockdown against Joe, but that was their only high point against him. Foreman would offer Louis a veritable smorgasbord of targets to choose from.

Big George said that Liston was the only one he sparred with who he could not back up involuntarily. Louis would be another. Was Louis big enough to stand up to George? Check out Foreman/Peralta again.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #32
DaveTheWave
Man Extraordinaire
ESB Jr Member

It isn't inconceivable to me that Louis could win, I just think the chances are slim. There's no doubt that Joe would hit George, but I think Foreman could take Joe's shots better than Joe could take George's. There is also little doubt that Foreman would find Louis, and early- Louis isn't a defensive whiz and George won't need to go looking for him.

Louis' chin + Foreman's power = rough night for Louis
DaveTheWave is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Foreman's stamina was more the issue, not his chin. Not his fault he wasn't put down in the early rounds vs light heavyweights.
Um, Joe Louis's chin was unquestionably solid (if a little unproven).
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #34
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWave
How so? Louis was down ten times in his career, and the only heavyweight champ that was on the canvas more was Patterson. Foreman was HURT by Lyle, and pulled himself together to KO him. How does Louis recover better?

People love to make unfounded ridiculous statements without backing them up on these threads...
Says the guy who has probably never given close attention to either man's career. All the facts in the above post are wrong.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #35
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Balsamo
How many times Louis was floored in his career ?
None.

Quote:
How many punchers like Foreman did he ever faced ?
None, admittedly.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #36
Woddy

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Louis couldn't simply be punched out at his peak, as he proved against the Baers and Galento. Nor could he be physically overpowered by a larger opponent, as Abe Simon and Primo Carnera discovered. (Don't forget that this was when six ounce gloves were used as well.)

Joe would have the center line, the lower center of gravity, the faster hands and shorter punches. Moving in, he could also make himself a very narrow target, somewhat difficult for George to shove away to arm's length. He'd be inside Foreman, between his arms and wide shots, splitting Big George's defense. Once Joe planted himself against a bigger adversary, he could be difficult to force into retreat. Boxing is ultimately a punching sport, not a sumo contest. The taller Foreman would not win by simply pushing Louis backwards.

Let's not forget that Louis destroyed Carnera quickly, blasted out Buddy Baer in a single round in their rematch, handed Galento and Uzcudun the only career knockdowns they ever sustained, and beat the crap out of the huge Simon twice. Yes, Buddy and Two-Ton each managed a flash knockdown against Joe, but that was their only high point against him. Foreman would offer Louis a veritable smorgasbord of targets to choose from.

Big George said that Liston was the only one he sparred with who he could not back up involuntarily. Louis would be another. Was Louis big enough to stand up to George? Check out Foreman/Peralta again.
In all fairness dude, Foreman fought Peralta for the first time in only his 15th fight, when Peralta was a veteran of god knows how many bouts. This is not a reasonable comparison on the level of taking Foreman in his 40th pro bout against Joe Frazier.

If Louis and Foreman were to meet, I have no doubt that the fight would end up being a match between a mid range hitter, and a close range combination puncher. Louis would definately land his shots, but George would likely shove him into desirable position and land with some of his looping shots, hookercuts, and straight jabs. The shots that Louis would be taking would be horrific. Remember, this was a man who was knocked out by a 190 pound Max Schmeling, floored by Galento, and practically knocked over the ropes by Buddy Baer. None of these men can be compared to the kind of wrecking machine that Foreman was. In 81 fights ( 31 of which happened post age 40), George was only stopped once, by what many consider to be the greatest boxer of all time, and it was mainly a result of fatigue as opposed to durability. George would not need to endure Louis for 12 or 15 rounds. Louis fought the type of style that would make him there for the taking against Foreman.

Louis was a better all time great than George from an acheivement standpoint, but head to head, Foreman beats him early.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #37
DaveTheWave
Man Extraordinaire
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Spencer
As usual, there are a bunch of retards who have no idea what they are talking about. Foreman was tailor made for Louis.
How then, genius? You seem to be another retard who makes statements without backing them up...
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #38
Woddy

vCash:

Quote:
As usual, there are a bunch of retards who have no idea what they are talking about.
Exactly!!!

So why don't you start helping the situation by showing yourself the door.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #39
DaveTheWave
Man Extraordinaire
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
DaveTheWave is a dumbass.
Back up what you say- by insulting you just look like the dumbass. If I make a wrong observation or whatever, fine- I can accept when I'm wrong or when I can learn something. You're a jackass for making statements, not backing them up, and then insulting the person who calls you on it.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #40
Woddy

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWave
Back up what you say- by insulting you just look like the dumbass. If I make a wrong observation or whatever, fine- I can accept when I'm wrong or when I can learn something. You're a jackass for making statements, not backing them up, and then insulting the person who calls you on it.
Dave you're far better off ignoring this farthead who calls himself Thad. He obviously a pea brain dickless shithead who knows about as much about boxing as a nun knows about giving handjobs
Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #41
DaveTheWave
Man Extraordinaire
ESB Jr Member

Amen
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #42
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend
Thad Spencer is a modern boxing discussing superman, previous greats of the past like janitor and Cross_Trainer lack to the modern training and nutrition of Thad.
Wonder if that'll get a post from CT?
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 PM   #43
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
Two of the feared big hitters of their era. Louis obviously has the better record, but who wins when they go head-to-head? Would Foreman's size and experience be a deciding factor, or would Louis's handspeed and durability win the fight for him?

The threshing machine-esque Joe Louis:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

VS

The nearly unstoppable George Foreman:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Man, I thought both of them did a little better.....
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 03:39 AM   #44
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
How many times Louis was floored in his career ?
A good few.

That happens when the bulk of your fights are against ranked contenders rather than tomato cans.

Quote:
How many punchers like Foreman did he ever faced ?
At least one.

Quote:
Thanks
Your welcome.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 AM   #45
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
You don't seem to agree with me on much of anything, but that's okay. I made my claim and I'm sticking to it. If you think Foreman had a greater legacy than Louis's 12 year reign, or on the otherhand that Louis would beat Foreman, then be my guest.

Conclusion: I don't give a shit either way.

Have a nice day,

-Magoo-
CLICK on the LINKS in the first post.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum