Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Cheese
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ali/Joe Frazier 40th anniversary statute

Here I sit, facing pill bottles lined up like soldiers guarding this geezer from any more harm. God knows I took a beating, but with all the vitality I enjoyed for years, maybe it's my turn.
The soldiers, standing at attention with their caps on, bring to mind statues, specifically the statues that are in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. I'll bet there are thousands throughout all the boroughs, starting in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. You will see statues of French noblemen on horses, English generals and grand ladies of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and someplace, somewhere I'm sure you'll find [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] standing erectly on a metropolitan thoroughfare. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s statue salutes Broadway, and Broadway reciprocates. Outside the Port Authority, the figure of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] bus driver [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] stands ready to hop behind the steering wheel.
You'll see all kinds of statues, each of them splendid perches for pigeons, but you will not see one to honor sports events that created the biggest stirs in New York City. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you ever see a statue of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] swinging that home run bat in '51 or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] bravely but sadly walking off the mound?
Now here's the big one: On March 8, 1971, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], two undefeated heavyweight champions, met in the Garden ring and branded [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with the biggest historic event since [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] bought [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] from the Indians for $24 in trinkets. I'm sure there's a statue somewhere for that. None for Ali-Frazier.
A few years ago, I wrote an open letter in this paper to the mayor and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], asking them to consider a life-size statue to be placed forever in memory of this historic clash. Neither responded. I took it as a loud "no" and never hammered on the point. Now recently I got this idea that some may consider folly: I bet there's one man who might be interested in taking this project on. He is [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
Donald Trump is a man who seems to get everything and anything done. Now supposing he does that and Madison Square Garden does not want the statue. Where can he place it? Well, in another very prominent place in New York City: in front of Tavern on the Green, which is another dream. Lately, when the fate of Tavern on the Green comes up, there has been interest in Mr. Trump buying it. At least the idea has been bandied about in the press.
About this event that's coming up to its, my God, 40th anniversary: With all its facets - sports, religion, politics, patriotism, protests, the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] War, a nation in turmoil, racial unrest - it is a wonder that it all revolved around a boxing match. Never in the history of sports has there been such day-to-day ballyhoo. Every newspaper in New York City, all of the media, were on top of this one, two to three months prior. There was never a dull moment in the coverage. It was big, folks, very big.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

What do you guys think? I think there should be a statue commemorating the greatest fight ever. At the same time considering this is the fight Ali lost, no one really wants to touch it. It amazes me that this fight is not available to buy on dvd. But you can easily find "Thrilla In Manilla" or various Ali compilation fights.

Cheese is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ali/Joe Frazier 40th anniversary statute

I think it would be a beautiful way to commemorate a great historic fight.

But I think Louis vs. Schmeling would be more fitting
reznick is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

New York City doesn't care anymore.

It is sad, but the truth is, in New York City the FOTC is rarely talked about.

I don't even think a celebrity benefit honoring the fight at the Garden would
sell-out.

Unless someone donated a bronze statue, maybe. As for New York, the City will never get involved.
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Here I sit, facing pill bottles lined up like soldiers guarding this geezer from any more harm. God knows I took a beating, but with all the vitality I enjoyed for years, maybe it's my turn.
The soldiers, standing at attention with their caps on, bring to mind statues, specifically the statues that are in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. I'll bet there are thousands throughout all the boroughs, starting in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. You will see statues of French noblemen on horses, English generals and grand ladies of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], and someplace, somewhere I'm sure you'll find [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] standing erectly on a metropolitan thoroughfare. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s statue salutes Broadway, and Broadway reciprocates. Outside the Port Authority, the figure of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] bus driver [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] stands ready to hop behind the steering wheel.
You'll see all kinds of statues, each of them splendid perches for pigeons, but you will not see one to honor sports events that created the biggest stirs in New York City. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you ever see a statue of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] swinging that home run bat in '51 or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] bravely but sadly walking off the mound?
Now here's the big one: On March 8, 1971, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], two undefeated heavyweight champions, met in the Garden ring and branded [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with the biggest historic event since [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] bought [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] from the Indians for $24 in trinkets. I'm sure there's a statue somewhere for that. None for Ali-Frazier.
A few years ago, I wrote an open letter in this paper to the mayor and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], asking them to consider a life-size statue to be placed forever in memory of this historic clash. Neither responded. I took it as a loud "no" and never hammered on the point. Now recently I got this idea that some may consider folly: I bet there's one man who might be interested in taking this project on. He is [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
Donald Trump is a man who seems to get everything and anything done. Now supposing he does that and Madison Square Garden does not want the statue. Where can he place it? Well, in another very prominent place in New York City: in front of Tavern on the Green, which is another dream. Lately, when the fate of Tavern on the Green comes up, there has been interest in Mr. Trump buying it. At least the idea has been bandied about in the press.
About this event that's coming up to its, my God, 40th anniversary: With all its facets - sports, religion, politics, patriotism, protests, the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] War, a nation in turmoil, racial unrest - it is a wonder that it all revolved around a boxing match. Never in the history of sports has there been such day-to-day ballyhoo. Every newspaper in New York City, all of the media, were on top of this one, two to three months prior. There was never a dull moment in the coverage. It was big, folks, very big.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

What do you guys think? I think there should be a statue commemorating the greatest fight ever. At the same time considering this is the fight Ali lost, no one really wants to touch it. It amazes me that this fight is not available to buy on dvd. But you can easily find "Thrilla In Manilla" or various Ali compilation fights.

Cheese, nice post for me as I was at that great event ,March 8,1971 at MSG.
God, how time flies!.I remember that night so vividly. Entering the Garden with our ducats,there was so much excitement in the air. Fur coats were abounding and some on men.True. I remember sitting in the side balcony on old MSG, with my binoculars looking for celebrities at ringside. Sinatra was their and burt Lancaster, amongst a host of famous people. I remember the introductions of famous fighters,before the fight, Louis, Tunney, Walcott,etc
but the crowd was screaming because the announcer ommited Jack Dempsey
who,better late than ever, was introduced to the audience,and the crowd gave
the Manassa Mauler a resounding ovation.We in the audience was thrilled,
and then the fight started, and WE all know the rest. A night I shall never forget,equal to the great fight I saw at the old Polo Grounds in 1951, when I saw Sugar Ray Robinson ko Randy Turpin in the 10th round in a desperate
do or die attack,as Robinson's eye was pouring blood, and the ref might have stopped the bout soon. Add to this i was sitting about 10-15 rows in back of
Gen. Douglas MacArthur.A night to remember too. A statue by the city ? Nice,
but if not, I have my memories to suffice...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
God, how time flies!.I remember that night so vividly. Entering the Garden with our ducats,there was so much excitement in the air. Fur coats were abounding and some on men.True. I remember sitting in the side balcony on old MSG, with my binoculars looking for celebrities at ringside. Sinatra was their and burt Lancaster, amongst a host of famous people. I remember the introductions of famous fighters,before the fight, Louis, Tunney, Walcott,etc
and then the fight started, and WE all know the rest. A night I shall never forget,equal to the great fight I saw at the old Polo Grounds in 1951, when I saw Sugar Ray Robinson ko Randy Turpin in the 10th round in a desperate
do or die attack,as Robinson's eye was pouring blood, and the ref might have stopped the bout soon. Add to this i was sitting about 10-15 rows in back of
Addendum-I was seated in the END balcony ...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Great idea, but i hope it doesn't look like the concept art.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jeez Burt - don't you ever leave this forum EVER - reading that post I get the wide eyed excitement, the awe, the experience, even a bit of a wistful lump in my throat aswell for some reason - you capture it for me - and also feel a funny bit of pride for you - you were there carrying the torch for us Classic fans who couldn't make it to the Garden that night
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Cheese
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I'm jealous. I wish I had a time machine to go back to that fight. The greatest fight ever.
Cheese is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

That would be pretty damn cool.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I remember listening on the radio, an end of round review.
The radio broadcaster, was so clear in his description.
At the end of the round description, he would say 'I give this round to Frazier/Ali'
It gave you a feel of the scoring.
Can't remember who it was, but it was on ABC-Radio (770 on the AM dial)

The consensus was, Ali could only win by a decision, and Frazier could only
win by a knock-out.

Boy was I shocked.

I was waiting to hear, that Ali crawled across the ring to congratulate Joe.
But it never happened. Just imagine that photograph.

How the hell did Burt Lancaster get involved,,,,,??
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
alexvoce

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
At the end of the round description, he would say 'I give this round to Frazier/Ali'

win by a knock-out.

Boy was I shocked.

he was brought in by jerry perenchio to do the commentating.

The most important fight in history and the good guy won thank god.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post

win by a knock-out.

Boy was I shocked.

and sinatra!!
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
alexvoce

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
and sinatra!!
sinatra was asked by life magazine to take photos for them in fact he took the photo thats in my avatar pic
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
That would be pretty damn cool.
It certainly would,Pete. The biggest sporting event of my lifetime. At LEAST a close contender for ANY time.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvoce View Post
sinatra was asked by life magazine to take photos for them in fact he took the photo thats in my avatar pic
Sinatra was certainly multi-talented. He could sing,act AND take good photographs.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum