Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
mgal7414
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default You Poms need to fire up a bit

Hatton has at least as good a chance of taking out the December bout as Mayweather. Possibly better than evens.

IMO, irrespective of how fit Mayweather is, fighting on the backfoot with your opponent on your chest for 36 minutes is tough going. If Mayweather fights Hatton in the same fashion as he has done every other opponent for the past five years, he will lose early rounds due to Hatton's superior activity and be drained - which takes away his precision and power- for the later rounds.

For Mayweather to win, he must be far more active, which brings Hatton even further into the fight. Hatton's footspeed will ensure that he is always on top of Floyd and if Floyd opens up, he will get outdone on the inside. Hatton is simply better at it. Though Hatton may get caught on coming in several times, he has proven he can work through a good shot. Hatton is an incredibly good chance in this fight.

What befuddles me somewhat though, is how many of you Poms 'pay homage' to Mayweather's 'greatness' on the infantile general forums. I constantly read such statements as, 'I expect Floyd to win, but Hatton to make a good account of himself.' Whilst you at least you never sound like braggarts, Poms always tend to overrate their opponents. IMO it is why you are often not as successful as sport as you should be. Mayweather is incredibly good, but hardly on another level to Hatton. Have a little more faith in your man!
mgal7414 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

Default Re: You Poms need to fire up a bit

Mayweather's lost of opponents is not that good and many of them are real handpicked opponents.....there's nobody on the level of Mosley or Cotto on there for example. He's fought more than his fair share of turkeys in recent years.
DLH was always overrated, losing to most elite fighters he fought, and a bit past it too.
I'm not a fan of Hatton but would pick Mosley or Cotto to beat Mayweather.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Foquinha
Mayweather's lost of opponents is not that good and many of them are real handpicked opponents.....there's nobody on the level of Mosley or Cotto on there for example. He's fought more than his fair share of turkeys in recent years.
DLH was always overrated, losing to most elite fighters he fought, and a bit past it too.
I'm not a fan of Hatton but would pick Mosley or Cotto to beat Mayweather.
you nearly had me there mate.up untill that last line i actually thought you were going to pick ricky!
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgal7414

What befuddles me somewhat though, is how many of you Poms 'pay homage' to Mayweather's 'greatness' on the infantile general forums. I constantly read such statements as, 'I expect Floyd to win, but Hatton to make a good account of himself.' Whilst you at least you never sound like braggarts, Poms always tend to overrate their opponents. IMO it is why you are often not as successful as sport as you should be. Mayweather is incredibly good, but hardly on another level to Hatton. Have a little more faith in your man!
Actually were doing rather well at the moment. Better than possibly anyother nation if you take into account population size.
As for Hatton, well its simply not plausible to say he's got much of a chance against Floyd, though I hope to be proved wrong.
There's having faith with your man and then there's realistic objectivity.
Also, whilst I'm a fan of Hatton I'm a fan of the sport first.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
mgal7414
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris
Actually were doing rather well at the moment. Better than possibly anyother nation if you take into account population size.
As for Hatton, well its simply not plausible to say he's got much of a chance against Floyd, though I hope to be proved wrong.
There's having faith with your man and then there's realistic objectivity.
Also, whilst I'm a fan of Hatton I'm a fan of the sport first.
Well then, you'll be especially happy on Dec 8 with your lower expectations are exceeded!
mgal7414 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Hatton has at least as good a chance of taking out the December bout as Mayweather. Possibly better than evens.

IMO, irrespective of how fit Mayweather is, fighting on the backfoot with your opponent on your chest for 36 minutes is tough going. If Mayweather fights Hatton in the same fashion as he has done every other opponent for the past five years, he will lose early rounds due to Hatton's superior activity and be drained - which takes away his precision and power- for the later rounds.

For Mayweather to win, he must be far more active, which brings Hatton even further into the fight. Hatton's footspeed will ensure that he is always on top of Floyd and if Floyd opens up, he will get outdone on the inside. Hatton is simply better at it. Though Hatton may get caught on coming in several times, he has proven he can work through a good shot. Hatton is an incredibly good chance in this fight.

I think thats rather unfair i reckon were just as fired up if not more so than the americans. Rickys got loadsa fans making the journey there and i reckon our fans are number 1 for supporting their fighter , we dont just sit there and clap we roar our fighter on. And i think boxing is taking a knock in popularity everywhere , but id say good or bad with mainstream boxers like hatton calzaghe and khan i reckon its more popular in britain than it has been since the early 90's. Im really behind ricky and support him % 100 but unlike me americans im not arragant enough to say my fighter is definetly gunna win and the other has no chance. Also your gunna get alot of british people who arnt fans of ricky on here who are probably viewing it less biased than me and are a bit more conservative with their views.

But anyways go RICKY!!!!!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
How can you overrate the beat p4p fighter in the sport? The Uk ESB users are mostly very knowledgable thats why you rarely get people making retarded comments like 'Mundine could beat Calzaghe'...... Stuff like that. Take a look at the likes of Dumbdane and all those who said Calzaghe was going to get blasted by Kessler- how do they look now? They have not posted on the British forum since the Calzaghe fight. 'Excited and hopeful' is better then 'dillusional and ignorant'.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
mgal7414
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
How can you overrate the beat p4p fighter in the sport? The Uk ESB users are mostly very knowledgable thats why you rarely get people making retarded comments like 'Mundine could beat Calzaghe'...... Stuff like that. Take a look at the likes of Dumbdane and all those who said Calzaghe was going to get blasted by Kessler- how do they look now? They have not posted on the British forum since the Calzaghe fight. 'Excited and hopeful' is better then 'dillusional and ignorant'.
Assuming that an undefeated fighter, two division champion, who is at his peak and is at a stylistic advantage poses little threat to FMJ is either overrating FMJ or underrating Hatton.... that is one way in which FMJ can be overrated.

Yes, most British posters on this board are very knowledgeable. Excited and hopeful is a great way to be, I just get the feeling that there is a large minority who aren't hopeful. Just my two cents
mgal7414 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
ThePlugInBabies
♪ ♫
ESB Addict

vCash: 224

Quote:
and is at a stylistic advantage
hilarious.

the way to pressure floyd is with a good jab, castillo had tons of joy with it, and DLH did early on before he gassed out.

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!

hatton's jab is almost non existent, he will look to bull his way in and get picked to pieces with his limited head movement and arms down low looking to hit to the body, this is not going to be pretty.

floyd's power is also being way underrated on here, he's no one shot KO artist but he is precise and crisp with his punches and the punishment will take it's toll on sticky wicky.

personally i hate the pair of them so i'm hoping for a double KTFO at the same time.
ThePlugInBabies is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlugInBabies
floyd's power is also being way underrated on here
Definitely. He carries much more pop than Collazo
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. If Floyd fights negative, which I'm assuming he will, he'll lose rounds purely because he's being outworked by Ricky. He will undoubtable land flashy looking combo's now and then, but unless he can sustain it like Hatton he will lose rounds.

I feel that Hatton will charging in and putting Floyd under serious pressure, and that unless Floyd engages Hatton and hurts him, winning his respect at some point, then he will see the fight run away with him, just as you described. He wont be able to sit on the ropes and slip out of harms way indefinitely, and he certainly cant win the fight doing just that. He has to fight at some point, and the scary thing here is that although that suits Hatton's style more, Floyd is still an awesome offensive fighter. Fast hands, excellent combinations, and with some degree of power even at 147lbs.

Floyd likes to coast and be economical with his punches, and he has fought that way over all his last 3 or 4 fights. Against guys like De La Hoya, who is totally flatfooted and doesn't throw many punches, that style works great because he can catch the judges eye with a sharp counter here or there and steal the round. He rarely punishes or dominates guys for a full 3 minutes. The last time I saw him do that was against Gatti, and lets be fair Gatti even in his prime was never in floyd's league, let alone after so many wars. Floyd has to match Hatton's level of activity and not try too hard to be a counter-pucnher, otherwise his poor workrate will make him drop rounds to a fighter who is, in terms of skills, inferior. We've all seen it happen. Boxing isn't just about who's got the most skills or who's the most slippery, if it were Chris Byrd would be heavyweight champion.

All I can say is that Hatton's tenacious style and aggression will cause Floyd more problems than most people are anticipating.
Words is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
crash
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

ricky made a fan out of me when he beat zoo,,hope he pounds mayweather,,Britain has got enourmous talent at present,,
crash is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum