Spanish hoooooooooook.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thomas Hearns vs Jake Lamotta at 160

LaMotta way too strong ... for all Tommy's power he could not dent Hagler and he wouldn't dent Jake either ... in addition, Hearn's had shitty legs at 160. Besides getting crushed by Hagler he was in the fight of his life against Roldan and a few others ... Jake would either pound out a wide decision or a late round TKO ... simply a bad match up for Hearns ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #20
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
LaMotta way too strong ... for all Tommy's power he could not dent Hagler and he wouldn't dent Jake either ... in addition, Hearn's had shitty legs at 160. Besides getting crushed by Hagler he was in the fight of his life against Roldan and a few others ... Jake would either pound out a wide decision or a late round TKO ... simply a bad match up for Hearns ...
The Hagster was v.badly rocked in round 1 by a Mega-Haymaker Uppercut.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
There's no need for that sort of reply. You've actually made a silly statement yourself in this thread saying Hearns didn't have his legs at 160, the Hagler- version didn't? (leg massage aside)
What does this even mean? No, the Hagler version most certainly did not, leg massage or otherwise. Are you insinuating that without the leg massage he could've or would've shown great lateral movement? This is based on....?

Hearns, in his lighter days, was far more lithe of foot and capable of bounding around the ring like a gazelle. As he moved up, he became more and more stationary, relying on his natural height/reach advantages and punching power to maintain the distance. This doesn't bode as well for him against the top pressure fighter.

Quote:
No one ever put Duran away except Hearns
Duran was a 5'7 natural Lightweight. Hearns was a 6'1 natural WW/JMW, and a terrific puncher. Hardly even worth mentioning in regards to how his punches would've effected LaMotta.

Quote:
no one hurt Hagler except Hearns
Watch the Hart fight and get back to me.

Quote:
I certainly don't think Robinson is proven to be as devastating a puncher as Hearns.
I certainly don't think Hearns is as proven to be as devastating a puncher at Middleweight as Robinson. I could never see him stopping Fullmer, for instance. Much less with one blow. I don't think I'd even favor him to win that one, period.

Quote:
Plus HEarns is the bigger man, if Hearns is an ex-WW, then Robinson is an ex-LW, HEarns carried 175lbs, Robinson never weighed over 160lbs in his prime. The Hearns who fought Hagler is much bigger than the WW-LMW who fought Lamotta and the LMW who faced Lamotta stopped him.
Hearns was longer, he wasn't stronger at Middleweight or Welterweight. This fight takes place at Middleweight. Your attempts to bring outside arguments into it are pretty much useless as a result. We're comparing these men at Middleweight and nothing more. Hearns was 6'1, Robinson was 5'11. Robinson was pretty much a full-fledged Middle by the time he took on a severely weight-drained LaMotta in their last fight, anyway. In fact I believe he weighed within a few pounds of Jake.

Quote:
Lamotta was stopped against Nardico and Murphy, its plausable Hearns hit as hard as those men
No. It's not even remotely plausible, actually. Hearns was an average puncher at Lt. Heavyweight. Those two were among the biggest bombers of their era, up there in pure power with the likes of Saad Muhammad among others, at least. Not to mention, they were facing a smaller LaMotta at the end of his road and still they only managed to pull off corner stoppages.

Quote:
I don't predict Hearns putting Lamotta away but its a possibility with the firepower Hearns has
Nah, no smaller fighter is capable of stopping, let alone sparking out, a prime LaMotta. Just ain't happening.
El Bujia is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum