Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742
Default Re: Grant's quality is upsetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Guys there is something going on in China. I think this is cropping up in the quality of our gloves.

It is getting more and more expensive to manufacture there. This is resulting in orders being canceled or transferred to less skilled production teams. You will probably start seeing lower end gloves not made in China and only high volume or high quality (really price) gloves made in China.

Might be time to splurge on those Winnings...

paloalto00 model is made in mexico. purchasing the gloves made in china ruins it for me. i try to stay away from those brands.
cheech is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
paloalto00 model is made in mexico. purchasing the gloves made in china ruins it for me. i try to stay away from those brands.
Looks like even Mexico is slacking, I'm going to wait a couple more months to send mine back. Boxingdepot's customer service is top notch
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
That might point to the general demise of Ringside then. Maybe it is them being cheap on the manufacturing side.

Everything they sell has been getting crappy. I was a Ringside loyalist too.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #19
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
That might point to the general demise of Ringside then. Maybe it is them being cheap on the manufacturing side.

Everything they sell has been getting crappy. I was a Ringside loyalist too.
Is that why the sparring gloves I just ordered from ringside have a sort of..."dry" look to them? I'm hoping it's just from them sitting in a box, not from being poorly made. They don't have cracks in them or anything like that, but they look dry and creased in certain areas. Doesn't strike me as something leather is supposed to look like.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
Is that why the sparring gloves I just ordered from ringside have a sort of..."dry" look to them? I'm hoping it's just from them sitting in a box, not from being poorly made. They don't have cracks in them or anything like that, but they look dry and creased in certain areas. Doesn't strike me as something leather is supposed to look like.
Mine look the same I believe, dried and creased. I heard that the grants that they sell from ringside and the actual grant site are different. I shall do more research
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Probably man. I ordered a pair 4 years ago and they are going strong looking good. I ordered new ones? Funny leather. INSANELY sloppy stitching. Complete crap... TWICE!

$15 (in wasted shipping) later for nothing I learned that it is now better to spend a little more especially if you are dedicated to boxing. You end up paying more for cheap crap. Skip the hassle. Buy right. Buy once. Rival.

Checking out another brand Gorrilla too.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Probably man. I ordered a pair 4 years ago and they are going strong looking good. I ordered new ones? Funny leather. INSANELY sloppy stitching. Complete crap... TWICE!

$15 (in wasted shipping) later for nothing I learned that it is now better to spend a little more especially if you are dedicated to boxing. You end up paying more for cheap crap. Skip the hassle. Buy right. Buy once. Rival.

It turns out all the newer gloves are crap, even reyes. They are changing where they have the gloves made.. wtf.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

Quote:

Yea by the time you had suggested Rival in my Tax Return thread I had already paid for the Ringside gloves but I'll keep those in mind if these things break down quickly. In the meanwhile, is there anything I can do to sorta restore the leather on them before i start using them full time?

And I'm intrigued. I've never heard of Gorilla.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yea by the time you had suggested Rival in my Tax Return thread I had already paid for the Ringside gloves but I'll keep those in mind if these things break down quickly. In the meanwhile, is there anything I can do to sorta restore the leather on them before i start using them full time?

And I'm intrigued. I've never heard of Gorilla.
Nothing you can or should do to gloves to restore the leather. Maybe a little water to soften them up so they don't split.

Don't want chemicals (mink oil, etc...) on glove surfaces. In a perfect world, people shouldn't be hitting bags then you, but this world ain't perfect. Vaseline is an option, but it is a petroleum product and could likely react with the paints, decals, and such. Gloves end up looking like ass anyway so just let it ride.

Gorilla is an MMA brand, but they shamelessly bite accomplished brands and produce (what I assume to be) quality knockoffs. I respect that because they don't hide it, unlike Title.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #25
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

Quote:
Nothing you can or should do to gloves to restore the leather. Maybe a little water to soften them up so they don't split.

Don't want chemicals (mink oil, etc...) on glove surfaces. In a perfect world, people shouldn't be hitting bags then you, but this world ain't perfect. Vaseline is an option, but it is a petroleum product and could likely react with the paints, decals, and such. Gloves end up looking like ass anyway so just let it ride.

Gorilla is an MMA brand, but they shamelessly bite accomplished brands and produce (what I assume to be) quality knockoffs. I respect that because they don't hide it, unlike Title.
So those shoddily put together web sites that suggest putting body lotion on the gloves should be ignored? Gotcha.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #26
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
So those shoddily put together web sites that suggest putting body lotion on the gloves should be ignored? Gotcha.
Definitely. Would you put lotion in your (or a friend's) eye? It would burn like hell. That is a VERY real scenario with a glove. Also, things like that (including petroleum jelly) make the surface of your glove tacky/sticky so dirt will collect that much faster.

If a glove's surface looks like ass? Oh well, you have been had. Return them and/or buy a new brand next time. What matters is the hand protection. If that is good? Roll with it.

No soap. No disinfectant. All they will need is a wipe down with plain ol' water and a nice slow air (not sun!) dry. Less is more. You (and your sparring partners) have an immune system for the rest.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #27
kwop

I just ordered a pair of Pro Mex lace-ups. they are Cleto Reyes's competitor. they boast quality at half the price. I'm waiting for them to come and am super excited. hope they aren't shit. I got them because in their photo I noticed less stitching. In my mind that means less of a chance for them to become undone at the seams. they are a punchers glove.any thoughts?
kwop is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwop View Post
I just ordered a pair of Pro Mex lace-ups. they are Cleto Reyes's competitor. they boast quality at half the price. I'm waiting for them to come and am super excited. hope they aren't shit. I got them because in their photo I noticed less stitching. In my mind that means less of a chance for them to become undone at the seams. they are a punchers glove.any thoughts?
I sparred a young fast hard punching amateur using them. Damn those things are HARD! Woo! Nice looking glove, just make sure you save them for days you are sparring guys you don't like!

Check back in and tell us how you like the fit, finish, and punch feel.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #29
kwop

Quote:
I sparred a young fast hard punching amateur using them. Damn those things are HARD! Woo! Nice looking glove, just make sure you save them for days you are sparring guys you don't like!

Check back in and tell us how you like the fit, finish, and punch feel.
These are not disappointing at all. they feel great! they're snug around the knuckles so I feel every punch crisp. I recommend them
kwop is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418

I have a pair of Grant's that I use for padowrk - i love them. Have had them for years. Just bought a pair of Fighting Sports gloves for the bag - most comfortable glove I've ever put on - with amazing padding. Just FYI.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing