Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 500
Default sir henry cooper

cooper gets a bum deal on this forum.

Aside from zora folley here is a list of ring magazine top ten rated contenders cooper beat.

dick richardson (euro champ, beat ezzard charles and bob baker)
joe bygraves (comonwealth champ)
brian london (beat pastrano, radmacher, roger rischer and zora foley)
joe erskine (beat chuvalo & pastrano)
alex miteff (beat nino valdes)
roy harris (world title chalenger)
wayne bethea (beat ezzard charles & ernie terrel)
karl mildenburger (world title chalenger & euro champ)
hubert hilton (rated in top ten 1966)
jose urtain (beat 4 euro champions, ring magazine fighter of the month)

*heinz neuhaus (draw in germany)

heinz was a euro champ who beat rex layne and dan bucceroni
choklab is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,274
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
cooper gets a bum deal on this forum.

Aside from zora folley here is a list of ring magazine top ten rated contenders cooper beat.

dick richardson (euro champ, beat ezzard charles and bob baker)
joe bygraves (comonwealth champ)
brian london (beat pastrano, radmacher, roger rischer and zora foley)
joe erskine (beat chuvalo & pastrano)
alex miteff (beat nino valdes)
roy harris (world title chalenger)
wayne bethea (beat ezzard charles & ernie terrel)
karl mildenburger (world title chalenger & euro champ)
hubert hilton (rated in top ten 1966)
jose urtain (beat 4 euro champions, ring magazine fighter of the month)

*heinz neuhaus (draw in germany)

heinz was a euro champ who beat rex layne and dan bucceroni
I'd say Cooper was the sixth best British heavyweight. After Lewis,Fitzimmons,Farr,Bugner and Bruno.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East Midlands in England
Posts: 3,940
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'd say Cooper was the sixth best British heavyweight. After Lewis,Fitzimmons,Farr,Bugner and Bruno.
I'd definately have Cooper ahead of Bugner - Bugner could barely beat the shadow of Cooper - the 63 version of Cooper would, I think, give Bugner quite a pasting actually - I probably put Cooper on about a par with probably Frank Bruno - possibly a shade better - I personally rate Farr very very highly amongst heavyweights from these shores
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Rightly or Wrongly The Folly (II) Johanson and Patterson quick Dismissals will condem Henry to be rated an erratic second stringer by many non-european boxing fans, who may not fully appreciate the true abilities of Henry's Euro/dometic rivals. of course Ingo Brutally crushed Machen and Patteron (1st), Floyd and Folly where hard to beat when on form (if you are not a Charles SL) so no real disgrace in getting Caught by these renown ringmen. You pays your money and make your choice i suppose.

One Area where Henry deserves utmost respect in his treatment of the boxing fans who paid their Hard Earned money to see him fight, he paid them the repect and tribute of always training like a trojan, and win lose or draw, never entering the ring less than 100% fit. theres many a recent vintage Heavyweight, perhaps more naturally talented then Henry, who treated boxing/the fans and indeed themselves with distain by entering the ring in shoddy condition, and making lacadaisical efforts, and often revealing so called injuries after the fight, you knew that Henry would never cheat the fans of an honest effort both in prep and in the ring.

And if Matched with other world class/Ranked fighters of his generation he might of gained a few more notable wins, Amos Lincoln,thad Spencer, Doug Jones, Harold Johnson etc theres quite a few i think Henry would have had good chances with.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 500
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
I'd definately have Cooper ahead of Bugner - Bugner could barely beat the shadow of Cooper - the 63 version of Cooper would, I think, give Bugner quite a pasting actually - I probably put Cooper on about a par with probably Frank Bruno - possibly a shade better - I personally rate Farr very very highly amongst heavyweights from these shores

agreed.
choklab is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 2,464
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
Rightly or Wrongly The Folly (II) Johanson and Patterson quick Dismissals will condem Henry to be rated an erratic second stringer by many non-european boxing fans, who may not fully appreciate the true abilities of Henry's Euro/dometic rivals. of course Ingo Brutally crushed Machen and Patteron (1st), Floyd and Folly where hard to beat when on form (if you are not a Charles SL) so no real disgrace in getting Caught by these renown ringmen. You pays your money and make your choice i suppose.

One Area where Henry deserves utmost respect in his treatment of the boxing fans who paid their Hard Earned money to see him fight, he paid them the repect and tribute of always training like a trojan, and win lose or draw, never entering the ring less than 100% fit. theres many a recent vintage Heavyweight, perhaps more naturally talented then Henry, who treated boxing/the fans and indeed themselves with distain by entering the ring in shoddy condition, and making lacadaisical efforts, and often revealing so called injuries after the fight, you knew that Henry would never cheat the fans of an honest effort both in prep and in the ring.

And if Matched with other world class/Ranked fighters of his generation he might of gained a few more notable wins, Amos Lincoln,thad Spencer, Doug Jones, Harold Johnson etc theres quite a few i think Henry would have had good chances with.
That's spot on.Henry was a very honest fighter,always gave it his all.If people actually study the two Ali fights he really did hold his own in there.There is a misconception that apart from the knockdown in the 1st fight that Ali battered him in there which certainly wasn't the case in either fight.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 500
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
Rightly or Wrongly The Folly (II) Johanson and Patterson quick Dismissals will condem Henry to be rated an erratic second stringer by many non-european boxing fans, who may not fully appreciate the true abilities of Henry's Euro/dometic rivals. .
Brian London, joe erskine, dick richardson, Urtain, mildenburger and joe bygraves are dismissed simply for not beng American. Each (at their best) were rated and at least on par with any of the losing title chalengers patterson and ali faced between 1957-67. Tommy jackson, radmacher, mcneely, cleveland wiliams, chuvalo even terrel and folly. no beter or worse.

But its not like cooper did not just beat europeans. He beat american contenders like folly, roy harris, bethea and hubert hilton as well as argentine Alex mittef,who was known and rated in america.

Cooper was the first fighter to stop Hilton. Hubert had previosly only lost one fight by SD and was already rated when cooper TKO'd him in 2 rounds. Hilton went the full distance with a peak jimmy ellis in his next fight and lasted 3 rounds longer against 9-0 mac foster who took just as long to dismiss with cleveland wiliams and later blew thad spencer and zora folly out in a single round each.
choklab is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k. View Post
That's spot on.Henry was a very honest fighter,always gave it his all.If people actually study the two Ali fights he really did hold his own in there.There is a misconception that apart from the knockdown in the 1st fight that Ali battered him in there which certainly wasn't the case in either fight.
Agreed! Watched the first fight not too long ago and no doubt he gave Clay an argument. OK, he wasnt gonna beat him, but its one of the few times ive seen Clay/Ali complaining to the ref.

Good,honest fighter who would get more pats on the back if he stopped whinging about certain decisions and fighters. Id have him well ahead of Bruno and behind Ruby Robert,Lewis and Farr
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
DFW
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 337
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

I watched both Cooper fights with Ali and felt he more than held his own. It would have been interesting to have seen what would have transpired had it not been for the cuts around the eyes. I don't recall seeing Cooper hurt or even staggered in either fight. He certainly looked better with Ali than he did with either Patterson or Johansson. Again styles make the fights and Cooper's style seemed to bother Ali more than most.
DFW is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post
I watched both Cooper fights with Ali and felt he more than held his own. It would have been interesting to have seen what would have transpired had it not been for the cuts around the eyes. I don't recall seeing Cooper hurt or even staggered in either fight. He certainly looked better with Ali than he did with either Patterson or Johansson. Again styles make the fights and Cooper's style seemed to bother Ali more than most.
Cooper having a brilliant left hook had much to do with it. Ali never dealt well with that punch.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
joe33
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Imagine that knock down in the first fight vs clay had come a minute earlier and not right at the end of the round, one wonders what would have then happened
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,203
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
I'd say Cooper was the sixth best British heavyweight. After Lewis,Fitzimmons,Farr,Bugner and Bruno.
Depends on how you define British? Aussie too? If so, Peter Jackson was better and so was Frank Slavin. The two fought for the UK title London in the late 1800's.

From a legacy standpoint, 'Enry had a memorable career. Top ten for sure.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bad to the bone and sexy
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 500
Default Re: sir henry cooper

what I liked about cooper was that no matter what he still went for it. A lotta guys realise they met their match, know they are beat, know they are cut and think about the next fight and go into survival mode. Henry never did. The guy trained hard and fought hard. He had a lot of good tools and always went for it. A real pro. without getting cut he was a handfull for anyone, sure he got Kod a few times but that was only because he ALWAYS fought to win.
choklab is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #14
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,628
vCash: 1000
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
what I liked about cooper was that no matter what he still went for it. A lotta guys realise they met their match, know they are beat, know they are cut and think about the next fight and go into survival mode. Henry never did. The guy trained hard and fought hard. He had a lot of good tools and always went for it. A real pro. without getting cut he was a handfull for anyone, sure he got Kod a few times but that was only because he ALWAYS fought to win.
Your right. The one thing i'll always give Cooper is that he went out to have a go
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
Mick4
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23
vCash: 910
Default Re: sir henry cooper

Quote:
karl mildenburger (world title chalenger & euro champ)
Wasn't that a robbery?
Mick4 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013