Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #16
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85
Default Re: Jimmy Young vs Joe Frazier Prime for Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Who hates Jimmy Young? Not me. I have no hate for Jimmy Young at all. I just think he's been extraordinarily overrated here. Foreman was a very, life-threateningly dehydrated killer in '77. I agree. Credit to Young for surviving Desiccate Foreman.
There you go discrediting Young again. You have an agenda mister and you know it. Kick rocks.
techks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
stop lieing
Stop misspelling "lying".

Quote:
Originally Posted by techks View Post
There you go discrediting Young again. You have an agenda mister and you know it. Kick rocks.
Nope, no agenda. Rock-kicking not necessary. I'm not discrediting Young, I'm putting his achievements in context. That's all...Crying out lout, he's being matched up against a prime Joe Frazier here.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Stop misspelling "lying".

Nope, no agenda. Rock-kicking not necessary. I'm not discrediting Young, I'm putting his achievements in context. That's all...Crying out lout, he's being matched up against a prime Joe Frazier here.
Yes rock-kicking is neccessary and you're lieing when you say you you're not discrediting Young. As you know I'm a big Young fan but even I said Frazier would beat him prime for prime. My reason was because Norton gave him so much trouble with bodypunching and Frazier was a much better bodypunching/pressure/inside fighter than Norton ever was and Frazier is much greater than Norton. I actually rank Norton higher than Jimmy too but had Young got the Shavers rematch, Norton, & Ali victories he deserved then that would probably be different.
techks is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes rock-kicking is neccessary and you're lieing when you say you you're not discrediting Young. As you know I'm a big Young fan but even I said Frazier would beat him prime for prime. My reason was because Norton gave him so much trouble with bodypunching and Frazier was a much better bodypunching/pressure/inside fighter than Norton ever was and Frazier is much greater than Norton. I actually rank Norton higher than Jimmy too but had Young got the Shavers rematch, Norton, & Ali victories he deserved then that would probably be different.
Yes, if Young had the mentality of a great fighter and actually taken what was apparently his in those "robberies" I guess things would definitely be different. And also, if many people zigged instead of zagged and blah'd instead of meh'd then things would be different. Maybe if Foreman weren't severely dehydrated, things would've been different in that fight or if Ali weren't extremely faded and on his way to Shot City, things would've been different in that fight. Etc, etc, etc. I'll go kick rocks now.

...Still, not lying though. Just truth-telling.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Too bad we never got to see Jimmy Young in maybe 2 or 3 more quality fights.

vs. Earnie Shavers III
vs. Ken Norton II
vs. Joe Bugner
vs. Roy Williams II
vs, Duane Bobick,,,,,,,(which may have been a decent fight)
vs. Leon Spinks
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yes, if Young had the mentality of a great fighter and actually taken what was apparently his in those "robberies" I guess things would definitely be different. And also, if many people zigged instead of zagged and blah'd instead of meh'd then things would be different. Maybe if Foreman weren't severely dehydrated, things would've been different in that fight or if Ali weren't extremely faded and on his way to Shot City, things would've been different in that fight. Etc, etc, etc. I'll go kick rocks now.

...Still, not lying though. Just truth-telling.
Norton fight was close but he deserved the decisions in the Ali & Shavers rematch fights. Foreman would've been hell for anyone in '77 so I don't see your point to make him look bad in order to discredit Young's win over Foreman. That's something a hater would do BTW. I'll admit, Ali was shot in the Young & Norton 3 fights but he still had enough in the tank to have a good win and great fight against Shavers a year later. And yes, you're still lyieng and need to kick rocks.
techks is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post

vs. Earnie Shavers III
vs. Ken Norton II
vs. Joe Bugner
vs. Roy Williams II
vs. Leon Spinks
Those would have been good.

Young would've outboxed Shavers imo.
Beat Norton.
Outslick and outwork Bugner.
Don't know enough about Roy Williams outside of the Shavers fight to comment.
Outbox Bobick.
Outslick and clown Spinks.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

Quote:
Norton fight was close but he deserved the decisions in the Ali & Shavers rematch fights. Foreman would've been hell for anyone in '77 so I don't see your point to make him look bad in order to discredit Young's win over Foreman. That's something a hater would do BTW. I'll admit, Ali was shot in the Young & Norton 3 fights but he still had enough in the tank to have a good win and great fight against Shavers a year later. And yes, you're still lyieng and need to kick rocks.
We're going to have to agree to disagree, my friend. I'm sorry you had to be a casualty of the Tommy/Boxed SNV/Young war also.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Peak Joe is the worst possible match-up for a slickster without a punch. Ellis will happily tell you that.

Young does well to last 15.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Young was one of Frazier's sparring partners in the early 70's. In fact he still was for Frazier's rematch with Ali in 1974.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #26
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Quote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree, my friend. I'm sorry you had to be a casualty of the Tommy/Boxed SNV/Young war also.
No one was hurt during this peaceful war(what an oxymoron). I'm right and I know it and you can't run from me BE! I know where you post!
techks is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Jimmy would have fared the worst against Frazier..the nonstop pressure..the windmill, churning, constant ripsnorting offensive output of Frazier...plus the danger of that everpresent scythe of a left hook would have kept my man Jimmy in a survival mode all night long. Finally, of all possible styles, this one is the worst for Young..Frazier would be his kryptonite...and the only hope for Young to survive through 15..taking into account his excellent chin, would be to ape Bonavena a bit and cover up well, and counter effectively..open wide the bag of his many survivalist tricks and spoil his way to the final bell.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #28
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post

vs. Earnie Shavers III
vs. Ken Norton II
vs. Joe Bugner
vs. Roy Williams II
vs. Leon Spinks
All these fights would have been feathers in Young's cap..all would be routinely outboxed...wish these fights had been made, as they would have greatly fleshed out Jimmy Young's legacy. None of these names would have been a problem for him..Shavers especially..a third fight with Shavers would have been like Young-Lyle II.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #29
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

Quote:
No one was hurt during this peaceful war(what an oxymoron). I'm right and I know it and you can't run from me BE! I know where you post!
Why, that's it! After I finish this marmaladed toast and dab the corners of my mouth with a moist napkin cloth, I shall engage you, sir, in the deadly masculine pugilistic art of fistic combat! Why, I should certainly give you a drubbing befitting that of a dandified fop after a night of foul tomfoolery at the ye olde town saloon of sticking feathers in caps and deeming them macaroni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Jimmy would have fared the worst against Frazier..the nonstop pressure..the windmill, churning, constant ripsnorting offensive output of Frazier...plus the danger of that everpresent scythe of a left hook would have kept my man Jimmy in a survival mode all night long. Finally, of all possible styles, this one is the worst for Young..Frazier would be his kryptonite...and the only hope for Young to survive through 15..taking into account his excellent chin, would be to ape Bonavena a bit and cover up well, and counter effectively..open wide the bag of his many survivalist tricks and spoil his way to the final bell.
That's all I was really trying to say.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #30
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
All these fights would have been feathers in Young's cap..all would be routinely outboxed...wish these fights had been made, as they would have greatly fleshed out Jimmy Young's legacy. None of these names would have been a problem for him..Shavers especially..a third fight with Shavers would have been like Young-Lyle II.

All those fights would be winnable, but not easy marks.
If they were 10-Rounders, all could be possible defeats.

Bu nobody is putting Jimmy out.
Il Duce is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum