Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #46
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102
Default Re: Jimmy Young vs Joe Frazier Prime for Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Just watched Young-Norton. How the F is this considered a robbery? Norton was the clear winner. I had him 9-5-1 (as had two of the judges). Several rounds were close and I wouldn't complain if someone wanted to give Young one or two more rounds than I did. But no way did he win more rounds than Norton, and the notion of this being a robbery is absolutely ridicolous.

If i was a bit surprised that Norton outjabbed Young. Jimmy threw a lot of jabs, but hardly nothing on them. Very few scored effectively.
no it was if you score slickness and defense although the young haters are entitled to their own opinion this was a clear young win
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #47
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Just watched Young-Norton. How the F is this considered a robbery? Norton was the clear winner. I had him 9-5-1 (as had two of the judges). Several rounds were close and I wouldn't complain if someone wanted to give Young one or two more rounds than I did. But no way did he win more rounds than Norton, and the notion of this being a robbery is absolutely ridicolous.

If i was a bit surprised that Norton outjabbed Young. Jimmy threw a lot of jabs, but hardly nothing on them. Very few scored effectively.
I agree.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

My scorecard in Young-Norton was: Rds 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 15 to Norton. Rds 1, 3, 10, 12 and 13 to Young. Rd 14 even.

Rds 2 and 14 was both very close, and if one would like to have rd 2 even and rd 14 to Young I wouldn't complain very much. Being a bit nice to Young one could perhaps even give him both. But that's as far as I'd go, and it would still be 8-7 Norton. This was his fight, even though he looked strangely subudued in the last third.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #49
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
no it was if you score slickness and defense although the young haters are entitled to their own opinion this was a clear young win
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #50
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I am very emphatic that it wasn't.

Norton landed the cleaner blows (to the body mainly), forced the fight (Young held a lot) and actually slipped and blocked many of Young's punches. His defence is very underrated. Even though he didn't make Young miss by three feet, as Young did to him on occassion, few of Jimmy's punches landed cleanly if you watch carefully. Norton was very good at taking the sting of off them. If he didn't slip or block them outright, he often took them high on the head or rolled with them.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #51
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
I am very emphatic that it wasn't.

Norton landed the cleaner blows (to the body mainly), forced the fight (Young held a lot) and actually slipped and blocked many of Young's punches. His defence is very underrated. Even though he didn't make Young miss by three feet, as Young did to him on occassion, few of Jimmy's punches landed cleanly if you watch carefully. Norton was very good at taking the sting of off them. If he didn't slip or block them outright, he often took them high on the head or rolled with them.
Disagree on all accounts. I think young won more rounds then norton and won it. it's commonly known that young beat norton by a wide margin ..
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #52
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Disagree on all accounts. I think young won more rounds then norton and won it. it's commonly known that young beat norton by a wide margin ..
No. You and a couple of Young fans that think so. It's not by any means a consensus view like ODLH-Trinidad being a robbery for example.

I'm neutral when it comes to the two and Young didn't win that fight, and there is no way no how that he was robbed.

I actually thought that this fight would be harder to score, but Norton won enough rouds clearly to actually make it relatively easy to score.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #53
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Disagree on all accounts.
So you don't even think Norton forced the fight and Young held a lot? You can't be serious.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #54
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I can see a scenario of Jimmy pecking-and-a-poking, and holding his
own for a couple of Rounds, but Joe's relentless pressure and heavy body shots
would take their toll on a semi-moving Jimmy.

Sometime, Joe's going to land that hook, and Jimmy just didn't have the 'guns' to hold Joe off.
Maybe no knock-downs, but maybe Jimmy gets hurt and retreats to the corner.
Remember, Jimmy Ellis had never been floored either, and he was a better puncher than
Jimmy Young.
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #55
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
No. You and a couple of Young fans that think so. It's not by any means a consensus view like ODLH-Trinidad being a robbery for example.

I'm neutral when it comes to the two and Young didn't win that fight, and there is no way no how that he was robbed.

I actually thought that this fight would be harder to score, but Norton won enough rouds clearly to actually make it relatively easy to score.
No way. Young certainly did. Won it with african american slickness and defense. plus slick counters and hooks and righth ands.

Quote:
So you don't even think Norton forced the fight and Young held a lot? You can't be serious.
obviously besides that
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #56
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
If you guys saw Joe Louis fighting a large tub of oleomargarine, you'd probably score it for the margarine because it's so slippery! Joe obliterates the tub and leaves splatters of oleomargarine all over the ring, but as he slips trying to hit all of it you go "Ooo, look how clumsy that oleomargarine made him look! It's SO slick I just creamed my trousers! It barely looks bothered by Joe's offense! This oleomargarine is winning by utter shutout if you score fights for that sort of thing! ATG! ATG oleomargarine! Hand me some Kleenex!" Then when Joe wins by TKO, you claim the oleomargarine was never hurt or Joe wins by decision and you claim the oleomargarine was robbed because it was so slick! Stop this insanity! They only use that poisonous oleomargarine to fatten up turkeys, you daft bastards! It's not even fit for human consumption! It's one mere molecule away from being plastic! Attica! Attica!
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #57
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
If you guys saw Joe Louis fighting a large tub of oleomargarine, you'd probably score it for the margarine because it's so slippery! Joe obliterates the tub and leaves splatters of oleomargarine all over the ring, but as he slips trying to hit all of it you go "Ooo, look how clumsy that oleomargarine made him look! It's SO slick I just creamed my trousers! It barely looks bothered by Joe's offense! This oleomargarine is winning by utter shutout if you score fights for that sort of thing! ATG! ATG oleomargarine! Hand me some Kleenex!" Then when Joe wins by TKO, you claim the oleomargarine was never hurt or Joe wins by decision and you claim the oleomargarine was robbed because it was so slick! Stop this insanity! They only use that poisonous oleomargarine to fatten up turkeys, you daft bastards! It's not even fit for human consumption! It's one mere molecule away from being plastic! Attica! Attica!
you know what boxed ears next young thread im putting in the title BOXED EARS STAY THE **** OUT
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #58
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
you know what boxed ears next young thread im putting in the title BOXED EARS STAY THE **** OUT
...But...I'll come in anyway...
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #59
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Frazier of '70 would be too much of an animal for '76 Young to cope with... Frazier would stalk, chase and hunt DOWN the slippery but less powerful Young.... Young gets hacked to pieces within 12 to 15 rds....

FRAZIER!!!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #60
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
It has nothing to do with not liking him. It's just that this is a silly, silly, silly, silly match-up. Non-competitive win for Frazier because Jimmy Young was simply never close to being a great fighter and his power would make Frazier laugh hysterically as he tore him a new asshole all night long. Jimmy Young has absolutely nothing to trouble Frazier and is at a severe and comical disadvantage.

Fraziiiiiieeeeer Hooooook!
This. I often wonder if a couple guys on here got together and are just ****ing with us with this Jimmy Young hero worship/revisionist history.
natonic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum