Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default If Jeffries defeated Johnson....

What do you suppose it would have done for his name and his legend?

Do you think the name Jim Jeffries would mean something today instead of some comedian with the same name?

I bet if he won that fight, a some of our current pop culture would be influenced by him.
reznick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If Jeffries defeated Johnson....

Probably nothing much. Johnson would just be written of as a stepping stone champion that Jeffries was expected to beat...why would any other result have seemed possible?

The most interesting upshot is that Mendoza has to spend all his time building Johnson up as a great champ. Which is hysterical.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Probably nothing much. Johnson would just be written of as a stepping stone champion that Jeffries was expected to beat...why would any other result have seemed possible?

The most interesting upshot is that Mendoza has to spend all his time building Johnson up as a great champ. Which is hysterical.
The hilarious part if you misunderstood me on Johnson after all these years. Once again, I think he's wildly over rated. If I really wanted to build Jeffries up, I would blindly praise Johnson.

At any rate, a comeback win over another champion in his prime after shedding 80 pounds and being off 5 years from the game has never been done. It would rate as the #1 comeback of all time.

For those who have seen most of the filmed rounds, early on Jeffries misses on a lights out left hook by mere inches. I think it was at the very end of round two! Had that punch landed it would have produced a knockdown for sure, and possibly lead to a TKO / KO. But as it was Jeffries was too gassed, and not nearly as sharp as he once was. By round five it was evident he wasn't a quarter of the fighter he used to be.

Last edited by Mendoza; 02-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
What do you suppose it would have done for his name and his legend?

Do you think the name Jim Jeffries would mean something today instead of some comedian with the same name?

I bet if he won that fight, a some of our current pop culture would be influenced by him.
How about a comedian and a musician? When I say Jack Johnson today, people think of the musician, not the fighter.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
The hilarious part if you misunderstood me on Johnson after all these years. Once again, I think he's wildly over rated. If I really wanted to build Jeffries up, I would blindly praise Johnson.

At any rate, a comeback win over another champion in his prime after shedding 80 pounds and being off 5 years from the game has never been done. It would rate as the #1 comeback of all time.

For those who have seen most of the filmed rounds, early on Jeffries misses on a lights out left hook by mere inches. I think it was at the very end of round two! Had that punch landed it would have produced a knockdown for sure, and possibly lead to a TKO / KO. But as it was Jeffries was too gassed, and not nearly as sharp as he once was. By round five it was evident he wasn't a quarter of the fighter he used to be.
Yeah at 34, in round two , he must have been absolutely exhausted.
Perhaps its fortunate it wasn't him in the ring with Willard, at age 37 , he might have been gassed, just getting into the ring in that 110 degree heat.
Let alone go 26rds ,and be in front at the time of the stoppage.
Poor old Jeff.
Correction Jeffries was 35,my thanks to Mendoza for pointing this out.

Last edited by Boucher; 02-21-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

But if Jeffries came back after years of retirement to defeat the "black villian" and go undefeated, you dont think his name would be more iconic in the boxing world than someone like Dempsey?

I think his name would have been so legendary it would have lived till today, and would be as common a household name as Rocky Marciano or Jack Dempsey
reznick is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
But if Jeffries came back after years of retirement to defeat the "black villian" and go undefeated, you dont think his name would be more iconic in the boxing world than someone like Dempsey?

I think his name would have been so legendary it would have lived till today, and would be as common a household name as Rocky Marciano or Jack Dempsey
There's no charming footage chum.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
Yeah at 34, in round two , he must have been absolutely exhausted.
Perhaps its fortunate it wasn't him in the ring with Willard, at age 37 , he might have been gassed, just getting into the ring in that 110 degree heat.
Let alone go 26rds ,and be in front at the time of the stoppage.
Poor old Jeff.
Jeff was 35. Learn how to count, Boucher. The tempeture in April 1915 in Cuba was never 110. Keep embracing the myths.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
eslubin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

If Jeff beat Johnson he'd be in every top 5. His name would be legend instead of trivia. A movie or two or three would have been made, especially with him living right next to Hollywood during the golden age.

But that's just fiction.

Much different from the reality: Jeff was a shattered relic from a forgotten era whose intense, public disgrace faded into quiet obscurity. Some people have a need for martyrs. And the handful of people pushing his name now just dream of what might have been, I try to let them have that and not judge too harshly.
lol
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxoCwLiUbs[/ame]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
eslubin is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

especially the bit where Austin breaks the beer out just as Tyson is coming for him after the KD.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
How about a comedian and a musician? When I say Jack Johnson today, people think of the musician, not the fighter.
And,when you say Jim Jeffries ,what do they say then?
Do they say
."Oh thats the guy, no films have been made about".
Or,do they say,"thats the guy,no songs have been written about".
Or,do they say " thats the guy,no documentaries have been made about".
Or, DO THEY JUST GO
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Jeff was 35. Learn how to count, Boucher. The tempeture in April 1915 in Cuba was never 110. Keep embracing the myths.
Temperature, learn how to spell..
Keep embracing that hate.

"I am coming back to redeem the honour of the white race"
And no one even remembers you today ,you big white supremist chump.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Not just that, but long layoffs are badly detrimental for stamina, especially considering the very poor overweight shape he was in during retirement.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
This.

If you beat tour opposition you automaticaly devalue them.

Its a bit like the paradox that you can't study something without changing it.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Jeffries would be remembered much more venomously. He would be a white supremacist who came out of retirement specifically to destroy the first black heavyweight champion. Since Johnson wouldn't have stayed on top long enough to generate the controversy that he did, Jeff would look even worse by comparison. He would be "great" in a historical sense, but that greatness would always carry a big asterisk for moral failings.

When the '60s rolled around, people who hated Ali would point to Jeffries as the "true" greatest of all time. Ali, for his part, would probably criticize Jeffries heavily. Jeffries would become the focal point for racism in boxing, on both sides of the divide.

Ironic fate for an uncommunicative alfalfa farmer, eh?
cross_trainer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum