Mayweather KO/TKO 0 0%
Mayweather Points 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Donald Curry (Jones fight, '85) vs Floyd Mayweather (Hatton fight, '07)

Welterweight fight between Curry and Mayweather, the versions which toasted two of Britain's finest.

How would this fight go IYO?
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Donald Curry (Jones fight, '85) vs Floyd Mayweather (Hatton fight, '07)

Curry in '85 hit his peak, but 147 was a struggle. Still, Curry was too strong and powerful at 147 for Fraud Mayrunner as a welterweight... Curry takes a passive Mayrunner out late in a 15 rounder, or wins a dec. over 12 rds...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Donald Curry (Jones fight, '85) vs Floyd Mayweather (Hatton fight, '07)

oooo, touch one because obviously mayweather is more proven but at 147 curry is one of the most talented fighters of the past 30 years. his speed and power were amazing but it's his reflexes that really impress me. mayweather for once meet some with better reactions than him, who also holds an advantage in height and reach (i think). the speed difference in terms of single punches in negligable at best and curry has more power in my estimation. mayweather's defense and intelligence would keep him in the fight until the championship rounds until curry starts pulling ahead and forcing mayweather on the backfoot.

Curry UD 12/15
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

After a feeling-out period of two rounds, Curry gets to work, and slowly begins to take apart Mayweather.Fifth round stoppage for Curry.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Donald was a very good fighter at his peak in 1985, and a great counterpuncher, but against Floyd, he would not have the speed to land his punches effectively. I give him a chance since Floyd is small at 147 and Donald was a good size welt. but in the end Floyd is better and faster. Floyd UD Curry.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

IMO! Mayrunner BARELY beat a fading but well tuned DLH in 2007 at 150 or so pounds... Since then, Mayrunner has fought limited or smaller dude's who ain't close to '85 Curry.... Curry as a welter reigns superior in a "prime-4-prime" sense of reality......

NOTE:

Curry also TKO'd Jimmy Green inside 2 rds in Texas by way of thumb or so and looked fine at 154.... That too was 1985...... I got the video...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
oooo, touch one because obviously mayweather is more proven but at 147 curry is one of the most talented fighters of the past 30 years. his speed and power were amazing but it's his reflexes that really impress me. mayweather for once meet some with better reactions than him, who also holds an advantage in height and reach (i think). the speed difference in terms of single punches in negligable at best and curry has more power in my estimation. mayweather's defense and intelligence would keep him in the fight until the championship rounds until curry starts pulling ahead and forcing mayweather on the backfoot.

Curry UD 12/15
Why did you write it ?
It is wrong at least in the aspect of the quality of their wins.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Why did you write it ?
It is wrong at least in the aspect of the quality of their wins.
i was probably not clear...what i meant was mayweather was more proven as a career as a whole (and by a lot). his welter resume is still pretty decent and not much distance rests between he and curry at 147
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
i was probably not clear...what i meant was mayweather was more proven as a career as a whole (and by a lot). his welter resume is still pretty decent and not much distance rests between he and curry at 147
Curry beat the best opponents he could get in the ring with at 147 as long as he could maintain that weight , he even had a good win at 154 (Rosi) and one at 160 (Aquino) , although if I got to see these fights (ban material here) I may have changed my mind about them.
I don't recognize the outcome of his fight with Honeyghan as a loss either let alone a stoppage loss .
Also , the size factor can be brought in and remember that while Floyd moved up from 130 to 154 and then back to 147 , Curry started at 147 and then had to move up to 154 and later even 160 because he could not maintain 147 anymore , he was also bigger and much stronger than Floyd , and not any less skilled.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Donald Curry half half with chips and rice, the great great grandfather of the cincinatti cobra, would bludegeon Floyd Mayweather to death with the whiskers on his chin and eat his wheat out of his skull.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Curry by knockout. The only chance Floyd has a chance is if it's the Floyd who moved up to beat DLH against the Curry @ 154. Floyd's great but he's overrated and would have a lot of problems against another very skilled technician with solid defense. Not sure about Oscar being a technician but he fought mainly aggressive but still gave Floyd A FEW problems when he jabbed frequently. Another technician he fought was JMM but that was a joke of a fight. Not enough to say he'd beat Curry especially at Curry's peak when he wasn't drained against Honeyghan. Curry is no Ricky "who shouldn't be at 147" Hatton or a shot Mosley he was much more skilled then they were.
techks is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum