Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Skill/Technique only take you so far...

Yea I said it.

Skill and technique are great assets to a boxer, but people act like its the CORE of a boxers ability.

I was watching Friday Night Fights the other night, and one of Roach's fighters, Kayode, a great prospect was fighting some old white bald guy who looked like he had a belly.

This was supposed to be a match to give Kayode more spotlight. I was looking forward to seeing what he had in store for the boxing world. Watched the training footage of him, he looked awesome.

When the bell rung, the difference in technique of the two fighters were very appearant. Kayode with his guard up, stalking his prey, with short but fast movements. He looked like a machine. The other guy was basically using lateral movement side stepping the entire time with his hands down. Like a very poor imitation of Gene Tunney.

Well round by round, the old white guy was outjabbing and out timin Kayode. Kayode started getting frustrated, opening up more, but the other guy was landing all the meaningful punches and big exchanged, moving out JUST in time from Kayodes big punches. You could see it in the guys eyes, and his trainers were talking to him like it was a movie. You could tell this was the fight of this guys life.

Anyways the guy clearly won, got robbed, the decision got booed, and the trainers were swearing up and down.

This fight really opened my eyes to the fact that skills and technique are great assets, but they dont mean squat to the basics of distance judgement and timing.

Which is why I now seriously give any fighter a chance, past present future. Because their stance, and their style doesnt mean as much as the execution of the basics of one on one combat.
reznick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Re: Skill/Technique only take you so far...

Distance and timing are skills. You can make the argument that there's an ability aspect to it buy you can do the same for punching, head-movement, etc.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Distance and timing are skills. You can make the argument that there's an ability aspect to it buy you can do the same for punching, head-movement, etc.

What im getting at, is these advancements in technique throughout the years:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

To

Are not as important as boxing fans make them out to be.

It helps, but I think its just another attribute to a boxers arsenal.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
What im getting at, is these advancements in technique throughout the years:

To

Are not as important as boxing fans make them out to be.

It helps, but I think its just another attribute to a boxers arsenal.
I'm not sure there's much technique involved in just standing there and posing like that. They probably did that thousands of years ago on their own.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I'm not sure there's much technique involved in just standing there and posing like that. They probably did that thousands of years ago on their own.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
eslubin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I see what your sayin brother! lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxoCwLiUbs[/ame]

eslubin is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Add to that that Roy Jones isn't the best example to use when discussing technique
teeto is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Yea I said it.

Skill and technique are great assets to a boxer, but people act like its the CORE of a boxers ability.

I was watching Friday Night Fights the other night, and one of Roach's fighters, Kayode, a great prospect was fighting some old white bald guy who looked like he had a belly.

This was supposed to be a match to give Kayode more spotlight. I was looking forward to seeing what he had in store for the boxing world. Watched the training footage of him, he looked awesome.

When the bell rung, the difference in technique of the two fighters were very appearant. Kayode with his guard up, stalking his prey, with short but fast movements. He looked like a machine. The other guy was basically using lateral movement side stepping the entire time with his hands down. Like a very poor imitation of Gene Tunney.

Well round by round, the old white guy was outjabbing and out timin Kayode. Kayode started getting frustrated, opening up more, but the other guy was landing all the meaningful punches and big exchanged, moving out JUST in time from Kayodes big punches. You could see it in the guys eyes, and his trainers were talking to him like it was a movie. You could tell this was the fight of this guys life.

Anyways the guy clearly won, got robbed, the decision got booed, and the trainers were swearing up and down.

This fight really opened my eyes to the fact that skills and technique are great assets, but they dont mean squat to the basics of distance judgement and timing.

Which is why I now seriously give any fighter a chance, past present future. Because their stance, and their style doesnt mean as much as the execution of the basics of one on one combat.
Any fighter has a chance, this is standard knowledge. Technique is big though, it shouldn't be understated, it has become even more apparent to me in recent times when we've seen an ancient Bernard Hopkins absolutely schooling the shit out of some of the top fighters in the world.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Technique is very important, but other factors of course also come into the equation. Range negotiation and timing for example. And then there are also those (like Benitez and Ali for example) that have this great sense of where they are, where their opponent's punches are and what they are going to do about it. This great handle of the situation even at its most hectic and intense.

Then there's also the ability to read the opponent, make him react to your feints but not react to his. Boxing is a very complex sport and there are many skills that doesn't fall readily in either of the "technique" or "abilities" brackets.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #10
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Any fighter has a chance, this is standard knowledge. Technique is big though, it shouldn't be understated, it has become even more apparent to me in recent times when we've seen an ancient Bernard Hopkins absolutely schooling the shit out of some of the top fighters in the world.

Perfect example!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Doesn't mean "squat"? That's surely taking it way too far.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Which are the best examples of ring generalship and range negotiation triumphing over superior technique? Monzon?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Reznick you have allot to learn, Kayode has pretty terrible technique and sends a telegram to request acceptance for his punches arrival, telegraphing is not good technique my friend. Other things he does are pretty poor technique too and timing and use of distance are part of technique in any case

Technique is the most important thing in boxing and seperates a boxer from a bodybuilder
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Which are the best examples of ring generalship and range negotiation triumphing over superior technique? Monzon?
Monzon did not have that bad technique at all, best examples maybe Froch over Taylor, and Froch got schooled before Taylor gassed and Froch went for broke
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #15
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Ah, I wanted to mention him. Yes, Monzon is the prime example here. He wasn´t athletic, fast, overly powerful or particularly skilled. But he was an excellent judge of range, was very accurate and his timing was one of the best ever. He also always did what he wanted to do and never what you wanted him to do. I love watching his fights unfold.

On a lower scale Ottke was similar. Not fast, not powerful, not that skilled, strong or athletic but his judge of distance, his timing and accuracy is amongst the best of the last 30 years.

Interestingly both had great stamina too.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum