Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Renaldo Snipes Discussion

Snipes is not a fighter that comes up too often, so I figured I'd throw his name out there.

He was a contender, who had an up and down career, beat some good fighters, and lost to some lesser men on some of his off evenings. I remember him as being a fairly fit and built specimen, with somewhat of a hot temper as seen with his reaction to the Holmes fight being stopped against his wishes.. Snipes defeated a prime Trevor Berbick, gave a peak Holmes some problems, and broke Witherspoon's jaw in a fight that resulted in a close majority decision loss for Renaldo. He fought a prime Gerrie Coetzee to a highly contested decision win, in a bout that most felt he lost, but from what I was told, was a war nonetheless..

I saw Snipes in the very last fight of his career against prospect Jorge Luis Gonzalez in 1993 on the undercard of Bow-Holyfield II. Renaldo was past his prime and got dominated unfortunately..

Here is a picture of him flooring Holmes.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is him in his last fight with Gonzalez.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Renaldo Snipes Discussion

I liked snipes. all the fights I remember him in was a war. he was strong and had a nice style. he would lean over and twist and come up with unpredictable shots that had a lot of steam on them. Even fights he lost he had his moments in, He nearly beat terrell biggs by openeing a nasty cut, he came in a bit gung ho, went over and was the victim of a premature stopage I think.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Renaldo had nice power in his right, and very quick hands.I believe he was robbed against Witherspoon, and maybe a thumb hampered him against Page, but Greg was going to win that fight anyway.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Amazing Snipes was Gonzalez best opponent before facing Bowe. Snipes was some 12-13 years removed from his prime.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I hadn't watched much of him in his prime, until recently, and I am surprised at how fluid and mobile he was. As a kid, I always kinda figured him for being a puncher, but I was wrong. He's definitely more of a boxer, with the occasional tendency to punch. Watching some clips of his fight with Coetzee on youtube, there were times when I almost felt like he would have done better, if he had slowed down his game some. I think he fought too radically against Gerrie.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Renaldo Snipes' fights were always fun to watch. A very unorthodox fighter, which seemed to give everyone fights.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He had no business drawing with Scott Frank, however.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Or losing to Evangelista.

I respect Snipes though. He was The Contender....he deserved to be called a contender, not a fringe contender, not a journeyman, but a true contender, winning and losing against the best. Not championship caliber, but to be taken very seriously at all times.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I too liked "The Sniper," but he was not really a true talent in boxing. He had conditioning, yet his skills sucked. He had heart and soul, but lost too many of his important fights. After his losses to "Page and Evangelista," I knew he was going no place but down in the division.. The loss to Biggs in 1986 showed me he was done as a pretender... The 1993 loss to Gonzo on PPV was utterly horrid...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Knocked down Berbick multiple times with his right hand if I'm remembering correctly, which was not an easy thing to do. Very underrated puncher.
Russell is online now  Top
Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Renaldo 'MISTER' Snipes.

Lived near me, in Westchester County.
A mini-celebrity, who fought alot in the Westchester County Center, White Plains.

A good guy, who took alot of crticism for his boxing skills.
The guy really did try, and put alot of effort in trying to make himself a better boxer.
Il Duce is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Renaldo 'MISTER' Snipes.

Lived near me, in Westchester County.
A mini-celebrity, who fought alot in the Westchester County Center, White Plains.

A good guy, who took alot of crticism for his boxing skills.
The guy really did try, and put alot of effort in trying to make himself a better boxer.

he did reach the highest level, there is no doubting that. sometimes you can have all the tools but just lack something and not stand out at that elite level.

sometimes you see fighters hurt the other guy and not realise they are a punch away from winning, where a lesser fighter would instinctivly know. sometimes they lose their temper, sometimes they become distracted during a fight or just lack enough of that ruthless streak that can make the difference. another fighter might start celebrating before the fight is over...another fighter might try too hard and want it too much.

Its hard to put your finger on what it is sometimes but there are always fighters out there that make the grade and are as good as a beltholder but retain enough of these traits to prevent them from being called a champion. I think snipes was one of these. he always brought a lot to the table and was always worth watching.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Eddie Mustafa Muhammad decided to test the waters at Heavyweight. His training regime apparently included lots of calories and he came in pudgy against Mister Snipes. That was a mistake. Snipes beat him and sent him back down to 175.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
naldo marshal
heavyweight champ
ESB Addict

i like the first pic!
naldo marshal is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Il Duce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That was supposed to be Eddie Mustafa Muhammad's Heavyweight party.

A win, and he would have been fighting Larry Holmes.

It was an NBC-TV fight. Eddie got criticized for his lack of effort, and Renaldo
got lambasted, for not showing quality skills in winning a decision over a walking mummy.
Il Duce is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum