boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1412
Default Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: The Winner...

What if all the Queensberry Rules Linear Heavyweight World Champions had fought each other (in their prime) under London Prize fighting Rules?

Let us say each fighter gets six months training to learn the art of bare knuckle fighting before the competition begins.

Obviously one or two of these fighters has fought under London Prize so you may feel they have an advantage.

The draw was done on (total) length of reign (in years), with the tie breaker being listed alphabetically.

There were 35 generally recognized Linear Champs, so for all those who reigned for less than a year, I listed them on their actual length of reign thus, the bottom six, need to go though a preliminary round, to get to the main draw.

I only voted, to break a tie, once the poll has closed.

Preliminary Round:

James Douglas beat Shannon Briggs
Marvin Hart beat Michael Moorer
Hasim Rahman beat Leon Spinks

First Round:

Muhammad Ali beat Marvin Hart
Tommy Burns beat Michael Spinks
James J Corbett beat Max Baer
Jack Dempsey beat Buster Douglas
Bob Fitzsimmons beat Max Schmeling
George Foreman beat Jersey Joe Walcott
Larry Holmes beat Rid**** Bowe
Evander Holyfield beat Joe Frazier
Jim Jeffries beat Ezzard Charles
Jack Johnson beat Primo Carnera
Lennox Lewis beat Ingemar Johansson
Sonny Liston beat Jim Braddock
Joe Louis beat Hasim Rahman
Rocky Marciano beat Jack Sharkey
Gene Tunney beat Jess Willard
Mike Tyson beat Floyd Patterson

Second Round

James J Corbett beat George Foreman
Jack Dempsey beat Tommy Burns
Bob Fitzsimmons beat Muhammad Ali
Larry Holmes beat Gene Tunney
James J Jeffries beat Sonny Liston
Jack Johnson beat Rocky Marciano
Joe Louis beat Evander Holyfield
Mike Tyson beat Lennox Lewis

Quarter Finals

Jack Dempsey beat Larry Holmes
James J Jeffries beat Jack Johnson
Joe Louis beat James J Corbett
Mike Tyson beat Bob Fitzsimmons

Semi Finals

James J Jeffries beat Joe Louis
Mike Tyson beat Jack Dempsey

Final

Mike Tyson beats James J Jeffries

Last edited by TBooze; 03-15-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Updated Results
TBooze is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: The Results

Ali is a bad pick for this kind of competition, his punching technique is completely unsuited for bare knucks, his infighting isn't top notch, and his style isn't suited for 20+ rounders either. But whatever....
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
thegoldenera

vCash:

Sorry but holyfield would not beat joe frazier. No no no.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

The results are prety much irrelevant, because half the people voting don't even know what LPR rules are and have not made any alowance for the diference in rule ste when making their predictions.

If I had started this thread, I would close it down now, to preserve any integrity it might once have had!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
The results are prety much irrelevant, because half the people voting don't even know what LPR rules are and have not made any alowance for the diference in rule ste when making their predictions.

If I had started this thread, I would close it down now, to preserve any integrity it might once have had!
I can see your point, but I would like to think that the vast majority have enough intelligence and thought on this forum, to understand what they are voting on.

But maybe there is a need to prove my faith...

So for the next round, the first fight will not have the option of a vote. I will give the thread 48 hours, and look at comments made to decide who would of won a vote.

After that, I will go back to the voting system, but will only count those who have shown they understand the stipulations by the comments made on the thread with no vote.

If you have not posted on that first thread, then you can still have your vote counted, if you post a comment (and vote) on any future threads.

Apologies to those who (rightly) may consider this patronizing.

Last edited by TBooze; 02-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
I can see your point, but I would like to think that the vast majority have enough intelligence and thought on this forum, to understand what they are voting on.

If not, other than wasting people's time bumping up the threads, I am doing little harm.
I wouldnt count on it.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
I wouldnt count on it.
I personally disagree, but have since edited the post, to try and resolve the concerns of some.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: The Winner...

TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I know that the competition is over, but how the hell did people think that Tyson would beat Jefferies in a London Prize Rules? When Tyson is fit enough to go 70+ rounds, come back to me.
I picked Jeffries early on, and I could not see Tyson beating him under these strictures but the majority have spoken ,Thanks to T Booze for the entertainment .
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

not who i thought would win but i think we should still respect different opinions on here. could people back their choice with an explaination? yes. just cause we don't like the explaination doesn't mean it's totally invalid.

the "tyson hits really hard" argument falls but i saw some valid points given their styles and strengths. i may not agree but the people have spoken
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would disagree with the winner, but the Quarters I think showed that all the right people were there.

That is probably when Tyson should of gone, but I accept he may of had a chance against Fitzsimmons and could of beaten Dempsey, but Jeffries? Well, to quote the great Homer:

"When will people learn, Democracy doesn't work."
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #12
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I would disagree with the winner, but the Quarters I think showed that all the right people were there.

That is probably when Tyson should of gone, but I accept he may of had a chance against Fitzsimmons and could of beaten Dempsey, but Jeffries? Well, to quote the great Homer:

"When will people learn, Democracy doesn't work."
Love the Simpson's
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Duranium
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: oooh child things are gunna get easier! oooh child things will get brighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

Quote:

But maybe there is a need to prove my faith...

So for the next round, the first fight will not have the option of a vote. I will give the thread 48 hours, and look at comments made to decide who would of won a vote.

After that, I will go back to the voting system, but will only count those who have shown they understand the stipulations by the comments made on the thread with no vote.

If you have not posted on that first thread, then you can still have your vote counted, if you post a comment (and vote) on any future threads.

Apologies to those who (rightly) may consider this patronizing.
A caveman didnt win it so janitard wants it tearing down and wiping from history, and GayBooze is going to do another one but only count the votes of people who type in 'ye olde english' font

Absolutley horrendous voting in the tournament. Fitz beating Ali, Corbett beating Foreman, Burns beating Spinks, Jeffries beating Liston, Dempsey beating Holmes, Jeffries beating Johnson. i dont know how you dare complain, Janitard.

So glad Tyson won it, i knew that was the one modern popular mainstream name people were praying didnt crash the party

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-6bLFp_6w[/ame]
Duranium is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
A caveman didnt win it so janitard wants it tearing down and wiping from history, and GayBooze is going to do another one but only count the votes of people who type in 'ye olde english' font

Absolutley horrendous voting in the tournament. Fitz beating Ali, Corbett beating Foreman, Burns beating Spinks, Jeffries beating Liston, Dempsey beating Holmes, Jeffries beating Johnson. i dont know how you dare complain, Janitard.

So glad Tyson won it, i knew that was the one modern popular mainstream name people were praying didnt crash the party

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Tyson was a very popular mainstream boxer, and I will admit with no shame, due to a naive but sweet innocence, growing up, I was suckered into the hype. But over the years, your realize the phenomenon that you thought was totally unique, had happened time and again in boxing.

John L, somewhat ironically Jeffries, Dempsey, Louis, Liston and Foreman; were all at one time or another given the unbeatable brooding monster build up before Tyson.

But Tyson was the last and still has his fans and admirers and as long as he is the last truly global boxing superstar, I guess he always will.

But to have a grown up debate on something like this, you need a little more substance in your debate to truly justify Tyson's victory here, as being anything other than name recognition and popularity.

Because there is part of me that thinks Tyson could of been one hell of a London Prize fighter, and I think it is a sound argument, but nobody in the Tyson camp, has put the argument across. Which is disappointing and yes shows the flaw in the Tournament.

Last edited by TBooze; 03-15-2011 at 07:23 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
eslubin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Cool concept! I envision Jeffries vs Tyson on the turf as something akin to Cribb vs Molyneaux

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroTAs25RkU[/ame]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
eslubin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum