Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
austyn
Yeah I know

vCash: 1000
Default Need tips

Ok then, ive been sparring an opponent who moves around the ring alot and likes to throw loose jabs. As soon as i pressure him he turns away and i hit him but i always get hit with a left hook and hes not even looking when he throws. Tips would be appreciated on getting inside and out boxing him. I dont want to be a slugger like mike tyson i wanna fight my fight where i put alot of pressure on him and outsmart him. TIPS please

Thnx
austyn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
haggler2167
BLUE MOON!!
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Need tips

tyson was never a slugger his style was peek a boo wich perfectly fitted him he hardly got hit in his prime .
haggler2167 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
haggler2167
BLUE MOON!!
ESB Jr Member

peek a boo would be a perfect style for your sparring partener you could counter punch him very easily using peekaboo
haggler2167 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
fernando4cv3
Journeyman

Tyson wasnt a slugger he used the peekaboo and PRESSURED his opponents. he had a never back down style which allowed him to bulldoze through opponents. what you should do is anticapate this left and counter. you say hes not lookin as he hits you. take advantage of this and get him time your shots and pick them wisely
fernando4cv3 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
austyn
Yeah I know

Thnx so r u ppl suggesting i fite peek a boo style? Or should i cut the ring off? Give me advice plz but not the peek a boo
austyn is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #6
chinachin_76
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Fight dirty, always works for me.
chinachin_76 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
Krippy
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by austyn
Thnx so r u ppl suggesting i fite peek a boo style? Or should i cut the ring off? Give me advice plz but not the peek a boo
If you are constantly getting hit with the same punch, use that to your advantage. Anticipate it, evade it, and follow up with a nice hook to the body. Considering his left hook has worked in the past, he won't be expected you to evade it, let alone counter it. This will stun him, which is another moment you should take advantage of. Unleash a nice little flurry of punches on him.

Repeat if necessary.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by Krippy; 06-27-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Krippy is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
skipdog
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Follow his lazy jab back to his head with your own big straight right.
skipdog is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
chinachin_76
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Keep that jab working and don' get sucked in. Keep your eyes on him at all times and don't lose hesitiation.
chinachin_76 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
hahahax
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

To me, it sounds like your sparring partner does not like getting hit at all.. you're basically saying he runs away whenever you get close.

The left hook he hits you with must be weak since he's fighting on the back foot while running away, and it's probably a very wide hook? If so, you should not let that stop you, as the others said, try to evade it and counter, he's most likely wide open. But even if you don't, just apply pressure and cut the ring off.

I'm sure the second you'll hit him with a good combination, he'll get gunshy. At least, that's what I get from the "he runs away and throws without looking" thing. He seems more concerned about not getting hit than hitting you.
hahahax is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
BeGGeRs
god
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1256

Parry his lazy jab with your right hand, knock it down hard so you have more time to counter with a big right without telegraphing it. Once you get the hang of this mix it up a bit my parring with your left hand a mixing up the punches maybe throwing:

right right
right left hook
right left right

If you knock his hand down hard enough you have enough time to step to the right and this opens the body and head up for flurys...
BeGGeRs is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
Mikro

Keep your eyes on his shoulders so you can see when the punch is coming. If he throws it consistently around the same time just duck a little on your way in and he'll probably swing right over you, leaving him open for a good counter. Also keep your hands up and just keep them moving between covering your face and the side of your head where a hook would land... and at the distance where he's usually throwing the hook keep your right hand back a little and ready to block it.
Mikro is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
Dennis
Gym Rat
ESB Jr Member

If his left jab and his left hook is bothering you, move away from the left by side stepping to the left. It's the easiest trick in the book to dispose of the opponent's best weapon. Be careful you don't walk into his right though. By stepping away from his left you're automaticly inviting him to throw his right. But judging from your post you have no problem with his right hand, and when he is using his right hand there's an opening for your left hand. Use it to get inside and pressure him as you like to do.
Dennis is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #14
austyn
Yeah I know

Thanks people keep the advice coming lol
austyn is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #15
HopkinsFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

if his throwing lazy jabs, move your head to the left just enough to get out of the way of the jab and counter-punch around the other side of his arm with your own right cross or right hook, he'll be completely open for it.. if his always connecting with a left hook you could jab and keep moving to your right, which is away from the hook..
HopkinsFan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing