vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mental toughness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Marciano
Ali
SRR
Louis
Wille Pep (coming back from plane crash)
Monzon
Basilio
Pep had to have great mental toughness to come back from the crash especially because of the extreme reliance on the nimbleness of his body per his defensive style...
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #32
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Erik Morales
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Detachment seems to be a common theme here. That is, the ability to zero on on the goal, to remove any thought of pain, of self-consciousness, of tomorrow, and of the roaring crowd from your mind to inexorably pursue that goal. These enables the less talented to literally roll over the talented in the ring.

When you combine that kind of mindset with high tech skill and God-given talent, you have something special.

For those less detached -like Duran or Greb, passion for battle is their key.

For most fighters in my experience though, I think that the motivation is what I call "ghetto rage" -it's something they find in that reserve when fatigue and doubt begin to set in late in the fight or when you're in trouble. That "now you're gonna pay" attitude; that thing that looks like anger but doesn't burn out like normal anger. The best example of this that I recall is the bloodied but unbowed Iran Barkley to his corner during Hearns I: "I ain't got time to bleed."
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #34
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Detachment seems to be a common theme here. That is, the ability to zero on on the goal, to remove any thought of pain, of self-consciousness, of tomorrow, and of the roaring crowd from your mind to inexorably pursue that goal. These enables the less talented to literally roll over the talented in the ring.

When you combine that kind of mindset with high tech skill and God-given talent, you have something special.

For most fighters in my experience though, I think that the motivation is what I call "ghetto rage" -it's something they find in that reserve when fatigue and doubt begin to set in late in the fight or when you're in trouble. That "now you're gonna pay" attitude; that thing that looks like anger but doesn't burn out like normal anger. The best example of this that I recall is the bloodied but unbowed Iran Barkley to his corner during Hearns I: "I ain't got time to bleed."
excellent post..
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #35
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Frazier
Greb
Foreman
sometimes Hopkins
JMM
Maidana
Vargas
Pacquiao
Mayweather(fought with a broken hand.also fought with shoulder problems)
SRL
Trinidad
Benn
Gatti
Matthew Saad
Morales
Lamotta
Margarito(he might have cheated but he is known to break guys down with his will)

maybe Matthyssee?

A few from the top of my head. All tough fighters with lots of willpower in the ring.
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #36
bez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

arguello
bez is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #37
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

You want to know what mental toughness is aye ? Here goes !
You are competely blind in one eye. Your other eye is losing sight.
Yet you go into the ring for 150 or so fights against bigger and stronger great fighters,
knowing that one blow to the remaining sight in one eye, can virtually blind you and making you defenseless,and virtually blind...
And yet this real anxiety before each of your 150 fights, knowing that you may be blinded
possibly permanently, is overcome by your unmatched courage and mental toughness...
And yet you persevere with your SECRET handicap against some of the greatest fighters in history, and triumph...
Your name is Harry Greb,probably the greatest P4P fighter, and certainly the most courageous and FEARLESS fighter in history...A profile in courage !
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #38
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Napoles. Cool, calm and collected on the outside with the burning fire inside.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #39
TerryLBaker

Sugar Ray Robinson - enough said
TerryLBaker is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #40
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Roky Marciano is the definitive example. The man wrapped himself in a cocoon before his fights, he was supposedly impossible to be around during the final week. He got himself up for every single one of those fights, in the hardest fight that there is to maintain either over 15 rounds or a career.

And nobody beat him.

He's not unique, but he's the best example on paper.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #41
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post

You're just quoting Predator now you big fake prick
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #42
Rexrapper 1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 499

Floyd Mayweather- Never seems to get frustrated when he fights. Example judah was out boxing floyd for the first 4 rounds and he never panicked. Another one is Shane Mosley. He got rocked pretty bad and came back in that same round. Muhammad Ali. This man went to hell and back in the third frazier fight. They way he came back and knocked frazier mouth piece out late in the fight was amazing.
Rexrapper 1 is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #43
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tunney, Ali, Greb. Any guy who can consistently go into the enemies back yard and whip his ass in front of a rabid hostile crowd.
klompton is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #44
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky P View Post
Jack Johnson. The man dealt with oppression and racism that we couldn't even imagine in this day and age. Had his life threatened whenever he stepped in the ring. Started out with the horrible sadistic game of Battle Royal and moved on up to fight proffessionally and became champion in an era much tougher than this.
There is a poster on here, who believes Johnson was lucky to be born when he was ,he made a thread about it.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
Tunney, Ali, Greb. Any guy who can consistently go into the enemies back yard and whip his ass in front of a rabid hostile crowd.
Johnson qualifies under that criteria.
Boucher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum