Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Who is Vladimir Virchis? A piece of info...

Virchis' name has been mentioned in quite a lot of threads here on esb,but sorrowly a lot of our fellow American posters have never seen him fight.Therefore I decided to create this thread in order to provide some info about this very interesting heavy weight from the Klitschko's native country,Ukraine. Virchis(23-1) is a huge heavy weight(6,4-1,93 cm) whose best weapon is without a doubt his murderous firepower.He can end a fight any time. He is probably one of the biggest banger among the present heavy weights,and a threat to any rival including all present top guns. He is a relatively slow fighter who tends to stalk and corner his foe in order to land one of his powerful punches.He has a quite leaky defence,but a decent chin.He for sure isnt the most skilled or fastest fighter out there,but due to his impressive firepower none of his of opponents has dared to duke it out with him so far. His stamina is okay,but nothing special,and so is his jab. He lost to Ruslan Chagaev by majority point decision-his only official loss.A lot of ring observers had him ahead on points against Chagaev after 11 very lame rounds and one exciting one. Chagaev and Virchis are stable mates,and they also seem to be friends.Therefore they didnt go for each other for 11 rounds. Virchis twice defeated Italian olympian medalist Paolo Vidoz(who stopped Calvin Brook,and Sam Peter at the olmypics)-the biggest and best known skalp in his collection. He also beat decent fighters like Michael Sprott,Taras Bidenko(who gave hell to Valuev-in his 4th pro fight [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Francis,Balu Zaur,olympian Chaanoune,and Cliff Couser(who knocked out Monte Berrett a few days ago). Virchis ' encounter with very promising heavy weight talent Taras Bidenko was one of the most exciting,entertaining ,and dramatic heavy weight fights which could be seen within the last couple of years. Behind on points Virchis knocked his Ukranian compatriot out in the very last round of their encounter. Virchis vs Serin:[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Adnan Serin(17-6) is a German based journeyman who made the water quite hot for Danny Williams when they met in the ring. He lost quite controversially to Konstantin Onofrei(who beat Wlad at the amateurs) and Rene Monse(who almost knocked Luan Krasniqui out a few years ago).
Odo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Who is Vladimir Virchis? A piece of info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
Taras Bidenko(who gave hell to Valuev-in his 4th pro fight [url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaigdKiO8Xc),
I just wish people would stop claiming Bidenko "gave hell" to Valuev or anything like that based on like 3 seconds in this video clip. You should ask yourself why it is so short .. if he "gave him hell" there should be more highlight material. I don't see anything like that, it's not hard to land on Valuev, he has good chin and Bidenko is a light hitter so nothing unusual there. I doubt ANYONE here has seen this fight in full length. So would you please stop fabricating rumours, Odo?

btw It's a total waste of time trying to hype Virchis.
NBT is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
I just wish people would stop claiming Bidenko "gave hell" to Valuev or anything like that based on like 3 seconds in this video clip. You should ask yourself why it is so short .. if he "gave him hell" there should be more highlight material. I don't see anything like that, it's not hard to land on Valuev, he has good chin and Bidenko is a light hitter so nothing unusual there. I doubt ANYONE here has seen this fight in full length. So would you please stop fabricating rumours, Odo?

btw It's a total waste of time trying to hype Virchis.
Hehe! Why a waste of time? Virchis is virtually totally unknown outside the circle of us hardcore fans.Even most of our fellow american posters have never heard of him.
I like this big fellow from neighboring Ukraine.He deserves bigger paycheckes,media attention,and a bit of hype IMO.
He was paid to be another victim for the then rising shooting star Taras Bidenko.His career seemed to be over,and according to the news at that time Virchis hinted that he would retire after his encounter with his much younger compatriot.What a surprise to Kohl and most box fans when Virchis knocked Bidenko out!
And you are trying to tell me that it is a waste of time to hype Virchis a bit?
No,I dont think so,my friend!
Lots of powerful people read this webisite-not only us hardcore fans.This forum on esb is the best out there,and all those promoters,matchmakers,managers,trainers,fighters,and so on do have a look at this forum now and then.

As for Bidenko vs Valuev the giant from leningrad once stated that his fight with Bidenko could have gone either way.
As for Bidenko he has repeated again and again that he should have won that fight in south corea.
Ring reports seem to confirm his statement.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

virchis is a throwback to the era of the great white hope. he fights like he just came off the farm or out of the mining camp.

no skill..........all brawn. good size, great strength and chin........one punch power to boot!!!

a real fun fighter.........and a title threat. i give him a great shot at beating ibragimov. and if he lands vs wladdy, its good night.

and guess what: the guy is a real life farmer!!!
unitas is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Armo_Ruski
best of da best
ESB Senior Member

i would rather see wlad take on virchis, rather then a 50 yr old sanders or that gomez dude.
Armo_Ruski is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
giggigreto
Journeyman

I love Virchis, and I would like to see him against klitschko, that would be tough and a KO is going to come
giggigreto is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by one man gang
Odo, I respect your opinion as I do always but Virchis is a limited fighter and I do not think he will get far. He will never be a real top 10 fighter.
Of course he is a very limited fighter.Have never claimed that he is a very skilled fighter.Hey,but neither is Peter,and he is among the top 10 of all important box mags or internet sites.
Peter is as limited as Virchis,and I for my part think that Virchis has the upper hand in firepower.
Rightly matched,Virchis for sure can win a world title.
As long as you dont match him with a fast mover like Ibragimov or the undisputed number 1 at the big boys' league Virchis can beat anyone in front of him.
I dont know and cant understand why people here on esb tend to overrate American or American based fighters and underrate fighters from countries of the former soviet union.
Belarus beat the mighty American amateur squad quite convincingly when they met each other last time.Most American fighters have padded records anyway!
A very average heavy like Briggs gets a title shot-there are quite a lot of Briggs out there in the countries of the former soviet union.A lot of them doent turn pro due to a bunch of different reasons,and the pro fighters from there dont get a title shot that easily.
Who do you think would be the winner of Briggs vs Virchis,or Peter vs Virchis?
A fighter like Gaidarbekov who schooled and stopped the American Lacy in his last amateur fight didnt turn pro,but his American counterpart did.
Do you think that Lacy is that known worldwide due to his outstanding skills?
He couldnt hold a candle to Gaidarbekov,and there are a handful of fighters in countries of former soviet union who could beat the shit out of that American.However,Lacy is American which means that careful matchmaking and the feeding of a few no-hopers makes him easily a recognisable name out there.
He even got a shot at Joe's title who exposed his limitations quite brutally.
The right passport makes a huge difference in the paid ranks.
At the amateurs Americans cant hold a candle to their Ukranian,Russian ,or Cuban counterparts.
American fighters are totally overrated IMO.
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Odo, there are few people here on the European board that overrate American fighters and underrate Europeans but you simply often hype fighters with the same old catchphrases ("teak tough", "makes the water hot", etc.) that are simply not that good.
NBT is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
Odo, there are few people here on the European board that overrate American fighters and underrate Europeans but you simply often hype fighters with the same old catchphrases ("teak tough", "makes the water hot", etc.) that are simply not that good.

There has to be a counterweight,dont you think so ?
Odo is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Armo_Ruski
best of da best
ESB Senior Member

makes the water hot catchphrase is hilarious
Armo_Ruski is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Its a question of who you match him against. Dont match him against fast elusive fighters with quick hands cos they ll make him look extremely bad, guaranteed. He probably should have lost a decision to sprott as well, btw. On another note, I was attending his fight against Chagaev and tell yer Chagaev won the match fair and square, was 3 to 4 rounds up on my card and I was surprised when hearing it got ruled a MD, but then I had expected a gruelling in your face thriller and what I got instead was a pretty lame affair.

Virchis should only be matched against slow and stationary people and if so can provide us with some power packed entertaining showings that include a rather high probablity to have one or both of them hit the canvas, but match him against akinwande and the likes and hed have to tie up Henrys legs before he could think of connecting on him
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Deslizer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
His stamina is okay,but nothing special
Nnnnno.
Hsi stamina isn't good, he is usually out of gas in the last quarter of a fight.
Deslizer is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #13
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslizer
Nnnnno.
Hsi stamina isn't good, he is usually out of gas in the last quarter of a fight.
I wonder if Virchis acts like hes tired to fool his opponent in the ring. Fighters can not afford to be lured into relaxation vs Virchis.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What are the chances of Virchis vs Peter for the interim WBC title? If that fight happens I take Virchis.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by one man gang
Teras Bidenko had him in his pocket for a long time untill he landed taht powerfullpunch. That's a credit for Virchis but don't forget he was close to get defeated widly on points.
I am not a huge Peterfan but he has fought better competition imo than Virchis who can do nice at Europeanlevel but lacks technique and speed at worldclass level. I think he would have problems against a lot of european guys. I even think he would lose against the dino's who are left from the eighties and nineties. McCall and Holyfield for example are better even at this stage of their careers.
I can see Virchis struggle against bclass Europeans as Harrison, Williams, Skelton. Anyone with a trustworthy chin and speed can give him trouble.
To tell you the truth,onemangang,I am unable to make head or tail of your post!
European level? What did you mean by saying that Virchis "can do nice at european level"?
The best heavies on the damned planet stem from europe.Thats why I dont really get it why you dont use American level as a derogatory term instead.
I totally disagree with you on your statement that McCall(who looked horrible against Gomez) or Hollyfield(are you kidding? that old geezer is barely able to beat a no-hoper like Savarese) are better than Virchis.
The huge Ukranian would beat both Americans IMO.
You can see Virchis struggle against -as you put it-b class european based fighters like Williams,Harrison,or Skeleton.
Who knows? You may be right in saying this.I for my part can also see Sam Peter struggle against a lot of "b" fighters.
"Anyone with a trustworthy chin and speed can give him trouble" I quite agree with you,but why the hell do you think that your abovementioned heavies like Willaims,Skeleton,or Harrison possess those qualities.
Peter has fought better competition than Virchis.I very much doubt this,but I wouldnt argue the toss about it.
Peter had two very lame fights against that fat dwarf Toney who barely managed to win a split decision against journeyman Batchelder in his last outing to a ring.Dimitrenko stopped that mediocre American journeyman in his last outing to a ring.
Very limited Croation Jovo Pudar went the full route with that overhyped American based African.Do you really think that Virchis would have gone the full route with that light punching Croation heavy?
A lot of Americans are quite sold on Sam because they havent seen fighters like Dimitrenko,Bidenko,Virchis,Povetkin,Valuev,and so on.
If Sam Peter were based here in europe people wouldnt even bother to talk about him.He would be a second Attila Levin,or Richel Hersisia.
Sam Peter is totally overrated,and will be exposed by old but still capable Oleg Maskaev.
The African is tailor made for Virchis.Would be a dream match for the huge Ukranian.I dont think that Sam would be able to go the full distance with Virchis.Styles make fights.
Odo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum