PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: george chuvalo vs rocky marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I tend to agree with you.

I think that Chuvalo would make Marciano look bad.

He would get the worst of it in the end though.
I see it like this
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #32
HeavyweightCP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Marciano destroys georges face and wins by ko or tko
HeavyweightCP is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #33
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
lol you are crazy. He clearly lost it. Patterson schooled him. But I will score it later.

He did not school him ... it was an excellent fight and extremely close ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Patterson proved his ruggedness in the Chuvalo win.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
he won clearly
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #36
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
he won clearly
If your definition of cleanly is half a found on one score card and one round on another it was a blowout ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #37
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If your definition of cleanly is half a found on one score card and one round on another it was a blowout ..
8-4, 7-4-1, and ref Zak Clayton scores 6-5-1. Hey he! You're a poster who I respect but if that fight had gone to Chuvalo, it most clearly would have been a robbery.
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #38
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It would be fun for a few rounds but class tells and Marciano was way out in front classwise.

Chuvalo may have been bigger but I dont know that he was stronger. Marciano was strong as an ox. In fact, Marciano was really a lot bigger than his fighting weight. He trained down to a low weight and Chuvalo never saw the day he was in the shape Marciano got into even in his last fight.

More to the point there were smaller fighters than Chuvalo who beat him. Patterson (who deserved a close but clear win over Chuvalo) was naturally smaller and less durable than Marciano and he basically stood in a phonebooth with Chuvalo and won.

Marciano was a lot more difficult to hit, especially for a guy as slow fisted as Chuvalo, than given credit. After a few rounds Marciano would be landing a lot of punches, and those punches would be hard.

By the mid point Chuvalo would shut down offensively and look to make it to the final round. If Marciano didnt bust his face open like a ripe tomatoe he would win a wide decision.

Chuvalo lost at all points of his career to fighters who were nowhere near as good Marciano, this should be enough to suggest that he wasnt going to beat the Rock.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #39
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Rock might send George to the hospital.

This is a dangerous fight for Chuvalo to be involved in.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #40
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i think it would be a lot like the Marciano vs ****ell fight. Marciano would eventually cause the ref to jump in and save Chuvalo. I know all about Chuvalo's durability but he did get stopped by Foreman and Frazier and i think the same would happen with Marciano.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwornank View Post
i think it would be a lot like the Marciano vs ****ell fight. Marciano would eventually cause the ref to jump in and save Chuvalo. I know all about Chuvalo's durability but he did get stopped by Foreman and Frazier and i think the same would happen with Marciano.
the foreman fight was stopped when lynn chuvalo threw her purse into the ring.in the frazier fight chuvalo derived that injury from sparring i think with mel turnbow,but went ahead with the frazier anyway,it was a freak injury .
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #42
steve w
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Agree. ****ell redux.
steve w is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #43
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
the foreman fight was stopped when lynn chuvalo threw her purse into the ring.in the frazier fight chuvalo derived that injury from sparring i think with mel turnbow,but went ahead with the frazier anyway,it was a freak injury .
So it was Mel Turnbow and not Frazier who caved in Chuvalos face? In that case I change my prediction: Marciano KO1... long before Lynn can come to Chuvalos rescue
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
Ringrat
Amateur
ESB Jr Member

Don ****ell? ****ell was a blown-up light heavyweight that had no business being in there with Marciano.

George Chuvalo would have stood in there with Marciano and stayed the limit. Marciano never fought a guy who was both bigger than him and tougher too. As you can't travel back in time and make this fight, there's no official verdict on the outcome. It's just as likely that Chuvalo lands a shot that busts Marciano's eye open or flattens Rocky in the first round!

Having said that, if Toronto's George Chuvalo fought Marciano for the title, it would be in the Rock's backyard with his pet referee and three judges from Massachusetts. George would be battling at the last bell and the decision would go to Marciano the same way it went to Patterson.

As for that bum decision, get an unbiased person to watch Chuvalo-Patterson and see if they don't give the nod to George for effective aggression alone.

Ringrat is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #45
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringrat View Post
George Chuvalo would have stood in there with Marciano and stayed the limit. Marciano never fought a guy who was both bigger than him and tougher too. As you can't travel back in time and make this fight, there's no official verdict on the outcome. It's just as likely that Chuvalo lands a shot that busts Marciano's eye open or flattens Rocky in the first round!
Having said that, if Toronto's George Chuvalo fought Marciano for the title, it would be in the Rock's backyard with his pet referee and three judges from Massachusetts. George would be battling at the last bell and the decision would go to Marciano the same way it went to Patterson.
As for that bum decision, get an unbiased person to watch Chuvalo-Patterson and see if they don't give the nod to George for effective aggression alone.
Patterson outworked Chuvalo, plain and simple. As I said in a previous post, a former Chuvalo trainer at the time said exactly the same thing to me.
"Chuvalo lands a shot that busts Marciano's eye open or flattens Rocky in the first round"???
OK Ringrat, give me any fight in George's career when he did just that (against someone decent); and...when was Rock ever prone to cuts?....the Charles nose thing?
I loved George and he was always a tough out whoever he fought but he has, with the exception of the Quarry anamoly (Jerry had him a bloody, pulpy mess) ZERO WINS against ANY top contender.
Comparing fighters in different eras is always difficult IMO, but you're reaching for the stars here.

And don't give me the Doug Jones fight as a weak contender example.
Nothing! Career huge wins? NONE!
jowcol is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum