Old 11-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #46
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best chins ever, p4p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wae Petes
I disagree. Chavez is on his level, but I wouldn't say Camacho is just because he was good at running away when he got hurt.
Camacho was never dropped his whole career and he took alot of punishment in fights where he was past his prime. Didnt marciano get dropped by smaller fighters like moore and walcott?
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #47
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Camacho was never dropped his whole career and he took alot of punishment in fights where he was past his prime. Didnt marciano get dropped by smaller fighters like moore and walcott?
Camacho was dropped three times. Reyes, Delahoya, and Trinidad.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #48
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Camacho was dropped three times. Reyes, Delahoya, and Trinidad.
Ok, my bad, how many times was marciano dropped though. Should i also mention that those 3 guys are all naturally bigger than camacho and he was way past it by then. Marciano was dropped by the smaller moore and walcott, am i not right?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #49
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Ok, my bad, how many times was marciano dropped though. Should i also mention that those 3 guys are all naturally bigger than camacho and he was way past it by then. Marciano was dropped by the smaller moore and walcott, am i not right?
... Marciano also ate a lot more punches than Camacho. Say the latter had better survival skills if you will, but Marciano had more raw durability.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #50
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well that puts an end to Brownpimp's little theory.

Also, Brownpimp, as I said, ability to run and survive are not the same as chin. I have to stress that again.
Camacho has taken alot of flush shots, i would put him in a top 20 p4p chin for sure. Getting dropped when your 4 wieght classes above your natural weight, that shouldnt tarnish your chin at all. Getting dropped by smaller guys should.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #51
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Well not really. Walcott outweighed him by over ten ounds, and Moore weighed the same, 188.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #52
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa
... Marciano also ate a lot more punches than Camacho. Say the latter had better survival skills if you will, but Marciano had more raw durability.
He didnt eat alot of punches from many heavyweights that were big and devastating hitters though, most of his opponents were well below the 200 lbs mark. As a heavyweight marciano had a very good chin, but p4p, i wouldnt say that.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #53
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Well not really. Walcott outweighed him by over ten ounds, and Moore weighed the same, 188.
Moore and walcott started out at smaller weights, lol. Is james toney a natural big guy, i mean he weighs 230 now.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #54
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Moore and walcott started out at smaller weights, lol. Is james toney a natural big guy, i mean he weighs 230 now.

Walcott had been at that weight for years, and Moore had campained as a heavy for a while, and always had to dry out by then to get to 175. By that time, he was probably more comfortable at that weight. Toney is different. He ate himself out of his best weight.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #55
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Walcott had been at that weight for years, and Moore had campained as a heavy for a while, and always had to dry out by then to get to 175. By that time, he was probably more comfortable at that weight. Toney is different. He ate himself out of his best weight.
Yeah but as they go up in weight, thier chin decreases and thier punching power decreases. Bob Foster and Mike Spinks would be perfect examples. Trinidad was a welterweight, camacho was a super featherweight, getting dropped by him is not as bad as getting dropped by a guy that was light heavyweight champion when he fought you as a heavyweight.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #56
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Yeah but as they go up in weight, thier chin decreases and thier punching power decreases. Bob Foster and Mike Spinks would be perfect examples. Trinidad was a welterweight, camacho was a super featherweight, getting dropped by him is not as bad as getting dropped by a guy that was light heavyweight champion when he fought you as a heavyweight.

to be honest I don't think the Foster and Spinks examples are good. Your talking about fighters there that were still natural to 175 and tried to pack on pounds in a hurry to try for the heavies. Of course that won't work as well as it would if you do it gradually and let it just happen because your body has to grow as you get older. There's a big difference there. That's what happened with Camacho. He wasn't a superfeather when he fought Trinidad, hadnt been for years. He was getting older and his body developed, as most do. Its unfair to call him just a superfeather then. He had been dominating lightweights, then junior welters along the way. Nice trick for a little 130 pounder.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #57
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
to be honest I don't think the Foster and Spinks examples are good. Your talking about fighters there that were still natural to 175 and tried to pack on pounds in a hurry to try for the heavies. Of course that won't work as well as it would if you do it gradually and let it just happen because your body has to grow as you get older. There's a big difference there. That's what happened with Camacho. He wasn't a superfeather when he fought Trinidad, hadnt been for years. He was getting older and his body developed, as most do. Its unfair to call him just a superfeather then. He had been dominating lightweights, then junior welters along the way. Nice trick for a little 130 pounder.
When tito and camacho fought though, you could clearly tell who was the bigger man. Bob foster and spinks fought holmes, tyson, ali and frazier though, thats 4 of the best ever.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #58
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Again Brownpimp, ability to run and survive is not the same as ability to take a raw punch. I could say Mayweather has a better chin than Camacho because he was never hurt like Camacho or dropped. I could say Mayweather has a better chin than Gatti as well, though I'm not sure that's true, given the beatings I know Gatti has withstood.
Honestly, it depends on your definiton of 'chin'. Camacho is very fast, while marciano is significantly slower, obviously camacho is not going to just stand there to be hit. However i have seen him take flush shots throughout his career and i know he has a great chin. If you have speed, you use it to your advantage.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #59
zippy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
When tito and camacho fought though, you could clearly tell who was the bigger man. Bob foster and spinks fought holmes, tyson, ali and frazier though, thats 4 of the best ever.

Tito was bigger than Oba Carr and Larry Barnes too. He was bigger than most.

I agree that Foster and Spinks weren't as effective heavier, but thats a totally different reason for that.
zippy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #60
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

I agree with brownpimp88, Camacho had a great chin, no doubt about that. But to be fair, you have also to say, that Marciano´s KD´s were flush and he wasn´t hurt, every KD doesn´t automatically mean that you´re hurt or so...
Luigi1985 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum