Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Willie Pastrano vs. Bernard Hopkins

A lightheavyweight contest scheduled for 15 rounds. Who wins it? Wille "Wil-o-the wisp" Pastano with fast hands and feet, who was fast jabbing natural defensive boxer who was Ali's mentor, or Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins, who, after ruling the roost as middleweight champion for many years, took his bag of tricks up to lightheavyweight to take the crown from Antonio Tarver? I personally think that Pastrano wins it by virtue of his constantly moving, boxing, jabbing style, which would be very similar to the way Roy Jones won over Hopkins back in '83 (?), and similarly by Bernard Taylor on two different occasions. Willie was also, despite giving up a few inches in height and reach, the naturally bigger man, and was used to fighting heavyweights, whereas Hopkins was not. Pastrano was almost paranoid about getting hit, and would have relentlessly made himself an elusive target against Hopkins. Jab, jab, and jab some more, all night, and not stopping to fall into any of Hopkin's traps. The title winning bout against Harld Johnson may have been debateable, but it showed that Willie could acquit himself well against a master defensive strategist (one of the greatest) like Johnson, so who could out-trick Pastrano after that? Pastrano, when in shape, was impossible to hit, and could tatoo his name on your face with that left jab of his, which is something a young Cassius Clay sure took notice of.
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Default Re: Willie Pastrano vs. Bernard Hopkins

I would go with a Pastrano- UD, something like 8-4...

I see it like you wrote it, Willie would be too tricky and too mobile...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

pastrano Was Real Lightheavy. An Outstanding Boxer. He Picks Hopkins Apart And Wins a clear decision

Last edited by frankwornank; 11-24-2007 at 06:51 PM.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Pastrano UD (9-3)
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Pastrano was a carbon copy of Willie Pep - he really was. He didn't just fight like him, he had all the mannerisms down as well.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Willie, in addition to his defensive skills, was a tough son-of-a-gun, who was never down from a punch to the head in his career. It was a wicked body shot to the liver from Jose Torres in what was his final bout that accounted for the only time he was put on the deck, and that punch, I believe, could have probably put anyone down.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Pastrano outslicks Hopkins over 15.
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Pastrano better in every category. Bigger, stronger, tougher, better boxer and enjoyable to watch. Hopkins is boring to watch.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

i go up and down with hopkins. right now i'm down. willie outpoints him, clearly, then hopkins whines endlessly about how he really won the fight

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 02-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hopkins takes this one 9-6!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Take a look at Pastrano-Johnson and realize that Pastrano would have been a nightmare for Hopkins.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fascinating matchup.Excellent as he is,I dont rate Hopkins as good a lightheavy as Harold Johnson,who beat a few good heavies.So did Pastrano,who Im assuming would be naturally bigger,but not slower than Bernard.His only hope would be to catch Willie on an off night,which he sometimes had.Dont count Torres,I think he was on the slide then.Pastrano points,not by a great margin but clear.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TED 822 View Post
Fascinating matchup.Excellent as he is,I dont rate Hopkins as good a lightheavy as Harold Johnson,who beat a few good heavies.So did Pastrano,who Im assuming would be naturally bigger,but not slower than Bernard.His only hope would be to catch Willie on an off night,which he sometimes had.Dont count Torres,I think he was on the slide then.Pastrano points,not by a great margin but clear.
Willie was done as a fighter by the time he fought Torres. In fact, he had his last gasp in the 10th round vs Tery Downes when he needed that miracle ko to beat Terry. He would have outclassed Hopkins with pure speed. He was like a big Willie Pep when motivated and in goos shape....the problem was he rarely was. Again, just check out that title winning fight vs Johnson. Pastrano was amazing...even if it was a razor close decision. A very underrated fighter.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Red Cobra,was about to say the same as you about the Downes fight.A bit too young to have seen Pastranos British campaign,no TV either,but saw him many times on Fight of The Week on a relatives TV on Saturday afternoons.Watched the Downes fight on our own later as we had one then,and he looked to have slowed down a bit and was losing.IMO 2 unusual things happened.One,Terry beating him to the punch,which shows his decline and two,he forced a stoppage against a man who was hard as nails,which to me points to natural weight but also gives the lie to those who say some professional boxers cant break an egg.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TED 822 View Post
Red Cobra,was about to say the same as you about the Downes fight.A bit too young to have seen Pastranos British campaign,no TV either,but saw him many times on Fight of The Week on a relatives TV on Saturday afternoons.Watched the Downes fight on our own later as we had one then,and he looked to have slowed down a bit and was losing.IMO 2 unusual things happened.One,Terry beating him to the punch,which shows his decline and two,he forced a stoppage against a man who was hard as nails,which to me points to natural weight but also gives the lie to those who say some professional boxers cant break an egg.
It brings to mind something Dundee said about his fighter...and he said the same thing about Ali as a matter of fact...that when he planted himself and felt like it, he could make that heavy bag "sing"..and I take that as meaning that if he committed himself to putting a guy's lights out that he could do that too. It was definitely a Hail Mary hook that he used to ko Downes with. It was, as I said, his last gasp I think. He was at the end of the road and had nothing left to cope with Torres with.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum