Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Which Other ATG Middleweights Would Sugar Ray Leonard Have A Chance To Outbox

At the tail end of their careers? We're interested in the version that "beat" Hagler.

Carlos Monzon - The last fight of his career.
Dick Tiger - Just before he moved up to Ligh-Heavy
Bernard Hopkins - The Oscar De La Hoya guy
Charley Burley - The man who retired unable to find a foe
Jake LaMotta - The St.Valentines Day Massacre version

What chance would you give him of picking up the decision over 12 agains each of these guys?

Please let's try not to get into a "did he or didn't he" beat Hagler thing, and just agree that that was a very close fight.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
hdog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Which Other ATG Middleweights Would Sugar Ray Leonard Have A Chance To Outbox

Thought Monzon looked pretty damn good against Valdez. Don't see Leonard beating that guy.
hdog is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Which Other ATG Middleweights Would Sugar Ray Leonard Have A Chance To Outbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog
Thought Monzon looked pretty damn good against Valdez. Don't see Leonard beating that guy.

Yes, I think if you were going to list them in terms of chances, Monzon would be the last guy you would see Leonard beating, even at the end of his career.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Dick Tiger - Just before he moved up to Light-Heavy

Grifith out pointed him around this time; so why not? Well, Grifith was an enormously strong welter, in terms of upper body. He clinched and wasn't bullied there. Leonard does not have this option. The criticism that is often levelled at Hagler - that he should have been more aggressive from the outset - would never be levelled at Tiger, he only fought one way. However - he somtimes held back when he should have punched, waiting for the better opportunity. He also struggled against runners and Leonard would perhaps be the ultimate at Middle. Finally, Tiger often laboured under the impression he was winning against this type of fighter when he was tied or losing. Leonard could win this one I feel, in a similair vein to the way he beat Hagler. Last two could be touch and go though.

Bernard Hopkins - The Oscar De La Hoya guy

Not for me. I think we'd even see something similair to the De La Hoya fight but with Leonard making the bell. Disagree?

Charley Burley - The man who retired unable to find a foe

If Leonard survives a rocky opening three I think he would drop a wide UD to Burley - Burley is the only fighter at or near peak when matched up to Leonard here. Peak for peak at welter this could be very different.

Jake LaMotta - The St.Valentines Day Massacre version.

Not in a million years. Impossible.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum