Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
boxingmemories
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Rocky Marciano, the undefeated champion..

Marciano is the only undefeated heavyweight champion but he is not considered the no 1 champion of all time. Can anybody tell me why?
boxingmemories is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419
Default Re: Rocky Marciano, the undefeated champion..

Basically he hasnt got as good a resume as other heavyweight boxers. He had tremendous heart and was in great shape but many feel he would have been beaten head to head by a lot of other heavies and that there are boxers whos resume are a lot better.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
thegoldenera

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingmemories View Post
Marciano is the only undefeated heavyweight champion but he is not considered the no 1 champion of all time. Can anybody tell me why?
.ARE YOU SERIOUS? i can beat your grandmother and 4 kids and yes... i will be undefeated too.... sorry but your question is stupid.... the quality of the rivals is very important. and marciano was retired when he was 32. tons of hws would have been undefeated in the era of marciano.
marciano would have been detroyed by foreman and liston. he would be owned by joe frazier,ali and vitali klitschko . probably jack jonhson would play with him. prime louis might well beat him. and probably a peak tyson would have been too strong and explosive for him. larry holmes,lewis and holyfield would give him the hell. guys like ron lyle, spoon, james smith, chuvalo,quarry, jimmy young,david tua.... would give him the hell as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Even the most deluded classicist realizes that at his size he wouldn't have near the record a decade, two, three, four and five decades later. It was a curious historical anomaly.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
Basically he hasnt got as good a resume as other heavyweight boxers. He had tremendous heart and was in great shape but many feel he would have been beaten head to head by a lot of other heavies and that there are boxers whos resume are a lot better.
This is about the size of it. Before 1964,Rocky would easily have made anyone's top 5 all time heavyweight list,but he's been well overtaken since then.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
JoeLaTurkey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
This.

An undefeated record is but one step towards greatness. Rocky's resume has been surpassed since.

This is known as "Ottke's Law."
JoeLaTurkey is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Even the most deluded classicist realizes that at his size he wouldn't have near the record a decade, two, three, four and five decades later. It was a curious historical anomaly.
IMO he wouldn't have had the same record in a couple earlier eras as well.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
IMO he wouldn't have had the same record in a couple earlier eras as well.
Rocky could probably have beaten any heavyweight champion before a prime Joe Louis came along, with the exception of Jack Johnson.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

While his undefeated record is a marvelous acomplishment, it does not in itself put him at the top of the pantheon of heavyweights.

Some heavyweight resumes have better depth, some better longevity and some better quality of opposition.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
boxingmemories
Journeyman

Quote:
.ARE YOU SERIOUS? i can beat your grandmother and 4 kids and yes... i will be undefeated too.... sorry but your question is stupid.... the quality of the rivals is very important. and marciano was retired when he was 32. tons of hws would have been undefeated in the era of marciano.
marciano would have been detroyed by foreman and liston. he would be owned by joe frazier,ali and vitali klitschko . probably jack jonhson would play with him. prime louis might well beat him. and probably a peak tyson would have been too strong and explosive for him. larry holmes,lewis and holyfield would give him the hell. guys like ron lyle, spoon, james smith, chuvalo,quarry, jimmy young,david tua.... would give him the hell as well.
I don't consider Marciano to be the no1 one heavyweight of all time, my pick is Ali.
boxingmemories is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenera View Post
Admire your passion for the sport, t. Wished you'd had a chance ta see Rocky fight live. Think it would've left an indelible impression...'n possibly changed your mind.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano is underrated in this era because he was a freak, a super strong relentless fighter with tremendous power, killer instinct,courage,stamina,will and character. It is hard to compare eras without subtracting or adding weight and training methods but we must remember Marciano was a 15th round heavyweight and defended his title against his # 1 contender 5 out of 6 times and there were no split tiles at the time so the ratings were no deluded as in modern times of split tiles. Louis was my number 1 but Marciano can switch with Ali for 2 or 3 depending how you rate Ali's win over Foreman and Liston or his near loses to Norton,Young
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenera View Post
tons of hws would have been undefeated in the era of marciano.
This is exactly why?

Many other heavyweight could have done what Marciano did if they had fought in his time. Even better. Guys like Foreman, Lewis or Liston would have KO'd Walcott, Charles and Moore in the early rounds.

Even Klitschkos would have badly spanked those guys.
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Marciano is underrated in this era because he was a freak
yet another fighter from yesteryear I am supposed to believe was a once in a century unique talent which is why he hasn't been replicated in the past 20 years...

my suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far...
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
yet another fighter from yesteryear I am supposed to believe was a once in a century unique talent which is why he hasn't been replicated in the past 20 years...
His record hasn't been replicated in the previous 100 years.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum