Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230
Default Re: Patterson & Tyson style

I think the style suited Tyson more favorably given his physical attributes and aggressive nature.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Well his sub-200lb weight has something to do with it, i mean obviously he's going to be a bit faster than Tyson, he didn't weigh 220lbs!
Yeah but that's a non-factor, i don't get your point. He was very fast, i wasn't saying that he was better than Tyson or anything. He was faster than Tyson, most likely because he was smaller, is that better? The reason why he was so fast isn't the topic i believe!
teeto is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
pachillles from now on u will be known as negroid by everyone on this forum you retarded ****ing poof
What??

**** you ya little chimp ****ing bastard
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Patterson would have been great with any style. Tyson as said was the ideal specimen for the peek-a-boo style. I do think that Patterson was the more versatile fighter, he could mix it up with inside fighting and by boxing behind a jab from a distance. With Tyson it was more him bulldozing you with power and an aggressive attack, behind the solid guard and defensive techniques that D'Amato taught.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
Tuaman
Return Of The Terminator
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

The style worked great for both fighters. But I liked it better on Tyson for these reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Patterson generally picked you apart with combinations, Tyson bulldozed you with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp View Post
I think the style suited Tyson more favorably given his physical attributes and aggressive nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
With Tyson it was more him bulldozing you with power and an aggressive attack, behind the solid guard and defensive techniques that D'Amato taught.
In all honesty, Tyson resembled a Floyd Patterson with the crushing power of Sonny Liston--Cus D'Amato had created his own hybrid of Floyd and Sonny. I heard that when Cus was working with the young Tyson, he used to say "I've found my Sonny Liston." It's interesting what you get when you combine the styles of two different fighters and roll them into one.
Tuaman is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuaman View Post
Tyson resembled a Floyd Patterson with the crushing power of Sonny Liston
Yes. Throw in Jack Dempsey's aggression, and you've got Mike Tyson. I agree that Iron Mike has the style of Patterson, power of Liston, and aggression of The Manassa Mauler.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
I like that Patterson incorporates a little more standup boxing in his version (gives him some versatility), but prime for prime Tyson is the more devastating operator here, maybe a bit slower but the leverage is just incredible.
patterson was certainly more versatile.

if we're strictly talking about who was better suited to the peekaboo style, it has to be tyson. patterson didn't have that low centre of gravity, or chin, which meant that he'd often be caught off balance, even with glancing blows. tyson had the physical attributes for this style. his stature and power are often mentioned, but i'm not sure that these were as important as his balance and perpetual ferocity. his unerring sense of balance (combined with his chunky dimensions) made him almost impossible to force backwards, let alone knock down.
goat15 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum