Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vicente Saldivar vs. Erik Morales

Saldivar, i would pick him to beat sanchez too.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Saldivar, i would pick him to beat sanchez too.

Interesting pick, IMO Sanchez is a bit overrated because of his tragic death, but I think Sal would be too big for Vicente, but I donīt know to be honest, but I would expect a close fight...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Interesting pick, IMO Sanchez is a bit overrated because of his tragic death, but I think Sal would be too big for Vicente, but I donīt know to be honest, but I would expect a close fight...
Everyone overrated sanchez on the forum and saldivar hardly even gets a mention. The man fought sugar ramos, laguna, winstone, famechon, legra and eder jofre. IMO he easily has a better resume than sanchez does.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Everyone overrated sanchez on the forum and saldivar hardly even gets a mention. The man fought sugar ramos, laguna, winstone, famechon, legra and eder jofre. IMO he easily has a better resume than sanchez does.
Salvidar probably is underrated, you're right. Though including Jofre in his resume is obviously misleading, as he was KO'd by him.

On the other hand, Sanchez stopped Gomez, Nelson, and Lopez twice. It's an excellent resume for such a short period of time, but most people look at the footage and see how amazing Sanchez was. Such a complete fighter, head-to-head one of the best ever. Not overrated IMO.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire_508
Salvidar probably is underrated, you're right. Though including Jofre in his resume is obviously misleading, as he was KO'd by him.

On the other hand, Sanchez stopped Gomez, Nelson, and Lopez twice. It's an excellent resume for such a short period of time, but most people look at the footage and see how amazing Sanchez was. Such a complete fighter, head-to-head one of the best ever. Not overrated IMO.
I included jofre to inform the board that he fought better fighters, those other guys were all very good/great fighters too. I believe most are in the HOF.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Jbuz
Belt folder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wae Petes
I don't think what he did was overrated(to accomplish so much in such a short period is remarkable), but he may be a bit overrated head to head.

He also may not be. He seemed at his best against the best comp, as interestingly enough he showed the most weknesses against lesser fighters. But I guess the true test is how you do against the best.
Agreed. He seemed to struggle at times with mediocre opposition. But going by his best performances, such as the second Lopez fight or the Gomez fight, I think he is one of the best fighters I've ever seen.
Jbuz is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Did I miss something or was the name of this thread saldivar v sanchez ?

Anyway, Ive only seen saldivar in brief highlights but the 126 lb morales who beat peak barrera (realistically, **** the judges) & who dominated ayala in the very next fight was 1 really good, solid, complete fighter & if truth be told, Id only favour pep at fwt over him on pts.

morales W12 saldivar
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Morales was never quite the same fighter once he left 122lbs. Saldivar is often almost criminally over looked when rating the Featherweight bests. Sure he is not #1, but very often he does not even get a mention.

Saldivar WU15 (9-6) Erik is always competitive and in the fight, but Vicente is just a step ahead most of the way.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Morales was never quite the same fighter once he left 122lbs. Saldivar is often almost criminally over looked when rating the Featherweight bests. Sure he is not #1, but very often he does not even get a mention.

Saldivar WU15 (9-6) Erik is always competitive and in the fight, but Vicente is just a step ahead most of the way.
I`ll have to make a point of seeing more of saldivar.

I agree that 122 lbs was morales best weight & he took a while to properly fill in to the 126 class, once he found his old form similar to the 122 lb days, he had to go to 130 so he was never properly settled from the McCullouch fight onwards, there was always some distraction.
Even when he started to look real comfortable at 130, all the wars started to take their toll.
I think 122 lbs was the only weight class were we seen morales at 100% for any length of time & I place him high on the list as 1 of the all time best at that weight, certainly the best of his generation.

Ps. I also rate morales as the most underrated elite level fighter of the past 10-15 yrs, wonderfull fighter in his prime, would have handed pacman his ass prime v prime IMO.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Saldivar was at one time referred to as a "featherweight Marciano" back in the sixties. As good as Morales was, I think Saldivar was way too strong for him, and way too great a volume puncher for him. Saldivar forces Morales to retire on his stool at the beginning of the 10th round, after a sustained and heavy beating. Maybe a kd or two scored against Erik in the process. Saldivar beats him up bad.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

As for Saldivar beating Sanchez, I don't think so. You're talking about a completely different animal in Salvador Sanchez. Sanchez w15 Saldivar.

Last edited by Amsterdam; 09-25-2006 at 12:15 AM.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
As for Saldivar beating Sanchez, I don't think so. You're talking about a completely different animal in Salvador Sanchez. Sanchez w15 Saldivar.

I agree but i actually think Saldivar's rival Winstone would beat sanchez pretty handily.Stylistically very tough for him.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
I agree but i actually think Saldivar's rival Winstone would beat sanchez pretty handily.Stylistically very tough for him.
Another terrible style matchup for Sanchez would be Johnny Famechon IMO...

As for Saldivar vs Morales, my vote goes to Saldivar. The man was so strong physically and was built like a mack truck, and he would pressure Erik all night long.

Erik was a damn fine boxer when the mood struck him, but he could be lured into a brawl rather easily, and I think Saldivar with his constant pressure will eventually do just that... and in that kind of fight I favour Saldivar.

I think Erik lasts the distance, although he will be taking a lot more punishment in the last 5 rounds than he will be dishing out, but he will put up a competitive fight en route to losing a decision, something like 9-6 on the cards.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 AM   #15
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Saldivar, close but clear UD.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum