Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Willard and Marciano

I'm confident that Rocky would win, but would it be worse than the Jack Dempsey beating? Would it take Rocky a few rounds to warm up, or does he come out battering him the way that Dempsey did?
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
thegoldenera

vCash:
Default Re: Willard and Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
I'm confident that Rocky would win, but would it be worse than the Jack Dempsey beating? Would it take Rocky a few rounds to warm up, or does he come out battering him the way that Dempsey did?
dempsey would do it better always because his style. dempsey was taller,faster,more explosive too, and he had longer reach than rocky, marciano should work more than dempsey here.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I think that Marciano would need a lot longer to do it and would be in a tougher fight than anybody imagines.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
thegoldenera

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I think that Marciano would need a lot longer to do it and would be in a tougher fight than anybody imagines.
yes sr, styles make fights...
Old 03-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
sirhenrycooper6

vCash:

well , rocky wasn't really as explosive or as fast a puncher compared to Dempsey , he did have great punch , but he would a lot more rounds , and if im correct , marciano was a sortof a slow starter.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
The Old School

vCash: 500

Willard is grossly underrated. He had a long, strong jab, man-killing power and a granite jaw. He had just as much stamina as Rocky - c.f. his ability to wear down an opponent over the course of dozens of rounds - and an iron constitution. I'm not sure if even the Rock could take a beating as well or as gamely as big Jess Willard could.

Last edited by The Old School; 03-05-2011 at 05:07 AM.
The Old School is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Especially if it's the Willard of Havana Rocky has to deal with, somebody who could absolutely match Marciano's stamina. Jess had some mobility to go along with massive physical strength, and was adept at using his height to evade or ride out punches. In close, Willard could execute that lethal right uppercut. Dempsey had three inches of height and ten inches of reach on Rocky to go along with vastly superior foot speed. The 6'4" Shkor's height and weight gave Marciano some issues for four rounds before the Blockbuster finally began to find the proper range, while he described his war with the 6'4" Vingo as his toughest fight. Havana Jess could actually eclipse this.

Last edited by Lobotomy; 03-04-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: To correct word reversal for "height" and "reach."
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Agree normally, but there was something weird about Willard in Toledo - he wasn't holding or leaning or anything. In fact he was holding his arms out wide in any clinch making a point of saying "i'm not holding".

But in the normal course of events, it would be a difficult days work for Marciano. Funny, isn't it? Willard lands Dempsey and he's remembered as a weak champ, if he'd landed the (to me) greater Marciano he'd be remembered much more fondly, possibly even as a fighter in title HW boxings first surviving filmed classic.

Incidently Janitor, Marciano in his last fight versus a peaking Tunney, who do you have? Not hijacking the thread, this one's just for Janny.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Willard could take only so much of the methodical, relentless bludgeoning to his arms and shoulders before the inevitable lowering of the guard took place and Marciano detonates a Suzy Q number on his chin. It may have been round 10 or 11, but it would be a stoppage for the Rock..and yes, Willard is underrated...but the fight's ending would have nothing to do with the three judges.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Agree normally, but there was something weird about Willard in Toledo - he wasn't holding or leaning or anything. In fact he was holding his arms out wide in any clinch making a point of saying "i'm not holding".
Would be good to see the terms of the contract.

Either way, I get the idea that that fateful left hook scrambled Willards brain. After that he seems less aware of what is happening around him and his strategy seems to go out of the window.

Quote:
But in the normal course of events, it would be a difficult days work for Marciano. Funny, isn't it? Willard lands Dempsey and he's remembered as a weak champ, if he'd landed the (to me) greater Marciano he'd be remembered much more fondly, possibly even as a fighter in title HW boxings first surviving filmed classic.
My thoughts.

Quote:
Incidently Janitor, Marciano in his last fight versus a peaking Tunney, who do you have? Not hijacking the thread, this one's just for Janny.
I think Marciano would probably have taken care of business.

The Marciano who beat Moore is a prety darn good version, with a good style for dealing with Tunney. Almost as good a version as you could bring to the table.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I think so too, although the 10 round distance might make things very interesting.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I think so too, although the 10 round distance might make things very interesting.
Hadn't thought of that.

Marciano would surely have requested 15 rounds.

Back onto topic!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

I dunno... Tunney's footwork could have caused Marciano major problems...

But back on topic, I think The Rock gets to Willard eventually for the stoppage.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I used to not think that Tunney could hang with the Rock, but I believe now that it would have been a real possibility that he could have very well have beaten Marciano. His chin, speed, stamina, jab, right hand and more than anything else, his incredible discipline, would have met the Rock's stamina, strength and power for a fight similar in nature to the FOTC.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Willard is a BIG assignment for Marciano.

Willard was huge, strong, and durable. He may not have been slick, but he was fundamentally sound.

Remember, he'd been out three years when Dempsey beat him. He wasn't in tip-top condition.
Unforgiven is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum