Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Willard and Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I think that Marciano would need a lot longer to do it and would be in a tougher fight than anybody imagines.
I totally agree , entirely different M O' s.
Boucher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbean View Post
he was as tall as vitali klitschko was he
Thanks for the observant catch. In person, I tend to reverse words and letters, but rarely when posting here. (Fortunately, fellow posters usually know what I intend to say when I screw up like this.)
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #18
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
I'm confident that Rocky would win, but would it be worse than the Jack Dempsey beating? Would it take Rocky a few rounds to warm up, or does he come out battering him the way that Dempsey did?
It would take Marciano longer to ko Willard,as he would n't have started quite as fast as Dempsey,it would take between 5 - 8 rounds,imo.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Depends if Rocky had that cast iron railroad spike in his glove that Dempsey allegedly had
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

It may take a bit longer because of styles but you could see Willard crashing down much like Rex Layne did vs the Rock. Size difference make it awkward early but once the Rock goes into 2nd gear it would be a beat-down and possibly a chance for the Suzie-q to shine.

Willard underrated though but nothing to hold Rocky off
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #21
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

prime for prime Marciano wins a decision based on volume of successful punches ... no KO ... cannot compare a prime Willard to the 37 year old , highly inactive man of Toledo ... in addition Marciano is not fast or a fast starter ... just a better fighter ... kind of Bonecrusher / Tyson thing ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:13 AM   #22
Tuaman
Return Of The Terminator
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:

Either way, I get the idea that that fateful left hook scrambled Willards brain. After that he seems less aware of what is happening around him and his strategy seems to go out of the window.
I think so, too. Willard was surprised as well as severely hurt.

As for Rocky, I see him breaking down Willard over a few rounds. Willard had good stamina in his prime, but Rocky punches really hard. Rocky would hurt him more and more each round.
Tuaman is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Rocky knocks Willard out and it might be early because Willard doesn't have the speed/defense to get out the way of Rocky's punches. Rocky rarely starts as fast though so maybe hangs in for 6rounds or so. As soon as he goes down, imagine Rocky waiting over him.....

Rocky KO's Tunney, breaking him down with a body attack, bringing far more pressure than Dempsey and great timing that would see him land the KO blow
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #24
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I'm confident that Rocky would win, but would it be worse than the Jack Dempsey beating? Would it take Rocky a few rounds to warm up, or does he come out battering him the way that Dempsey did?
Twelve rounds Marciano takes a dec .Fifteen he might stop Willard ,but I have a hunch Jess would still be around ,and lose a dec.
Marciano was not Dempsey ,and,before anyone says no, he was better ,that's not what the consensus was in the 50's and 60's, when the guys who had seen both first hand were still around.
Dempsey had quicker hands , was more versatile ,faster afoot ,and much speedier out of the blocks. Havana Jess gives Marciano a very interesting nights work.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #25
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Twelve rounds Marciano takes a dec .Fifteen he might stop Willard ,but I have a hunch Jess would still be around ,and lose a dec.
Marciano was not Dempsey ,and,before anyone says no, he was better ,that's not what the consensus was in the 50's and 60's, when the guys who had seen both first hand were still around.
Dempsey had quicker hands , was more versatile ,faster afoot ,and much speedier out of the blocks. Havana Jess gives Marciano a very interesting nights work.
Fighters are hardly ever rated higher than the prior generation when they around/recently retired
Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #26
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Fighters are hardly ever rated higher than the prior generation when they around/recently retired
True ,and as each generation dies off the next heroes become more lauded,but I think eye witness testimony counts for quite a lot.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #27
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
True ,and as each generation dies off the next heroes become more lauded,but I think eye witness testimony counts for quite a lot.
Well most of those eye witnesses also didn't rate Marciano above his contemparies like Layne, Walcott, Charles, Moore but he still beat them all and I think he was the underdog in a few.

Hindsight is looked down on often, but if you actually have access to plenty of the fights you can make a better judgement than someone who was at the fights and was completely in love with the atmosphere and moment, which in turn would cloud their judgement
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #28
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think that Marciano would need a lot longer to do it and would be in a tougher fight than anybody imagines.
Agreed ... also, depending on the ref it could be an ugly, clinching styled fight ... Rocky fif not have anything close to Dempsey's explosive speed and in fairness we should match him against a prime Willard not the 37 year old , highly inactive fighter of Toledo ..

Rocky by decision based on volume of effective punching ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #29
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Too many people judge Willard on the Dempsey fight. Willard looks better vs. Moran, and has no trouble landing more, and controlling the action in this fight. I wonder how many here have seen that one. I'd go with Marciano via attrition / accumulation of total punches here. Interesting match.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #30
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Rocky not being quite as fast as Dempsey would take a little longer to get into his stride. Get into his stride he would though,and knock Willard out by the middle portion of the bout.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum