Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Kurt Angle speaks

Inside MMA Recap 11/16/07 - Kurt Angle
By [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] on November 16, 2007

Every week Ian will provide a recap of HDNet's Inside MMA on MMAFighting.com. Click [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for last week's recap.
Hosts: Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten
Guests: Kurt Angle (WWE superstar, Olympic Gold Medallist), ****** McCully (UFC Fighter, Team Punishment) and Loretta Hunt (The Fight Network)
As usual the show starts of with coverage of the biggest show of the week, which this week was Elite XC.
After the highlight, they asked Rutten (who trained Kimbo) about Kimbo Slice’s fight. Rutten said there is not a lot Kimbo can learn from that fight. He said they trained hard on the body shots and Kimbo has a very hard punch.
The discussion then shifted to Nick Diaz. They commented on his post-fight actions. Hunt mentioned that Diaz needs a good win, and that he’s not the same fighter anymore. She thinks it is a shame as he is a much better fighter then we saw at the EliteXC show.
The Diaz cut stoppage brought up the topic of elbows. Rutten quickly pointed out that IFL doesn’t allow elbows because of the cut factor. Angle talked about how elbows would be an advantage for him in MMA as he would spend most of the time on top of a guy rather than standing, and hopefully he cuts the guy for the win. He laughed as he said it, but at least he’s honest.
As soon as Angle mentioned himself in MMA, Rice immediately jumped on Angle about his status in MMA. Angle said he is a big fan of Rutten and that he wants to train with him. He also said that he has been watching MMA from the beginning, and actually looked into getting into it years ago but went into wrestling for the obvious money. If the money then was like it is today, he would have been fighting alongside Bas years ago. It was also interesting, but not surprising that Angle said all the wrestlers are looking over shoulder at the MMA explosion these days and are very interested. Angle really beat around the bush. However, when asked directly when he would debut and what company, Angle did say that UFC President Dana White offered him a contract, but White told him he had to quit TNA wrestling. Angle didn’t want to leave TNA as he feels a loyalty to TNA as they were there for him when he left WWE.
Wrapping up EliteXC talk, they talked about Jake Shield’s long-term contract signing with EliteXC. McCully said EliteXC is going to have a hard time finding opponents for Shields as he is ready for the big time (UFC). This led to discussion of UFC welterweights, and Angle mentioned that he was blown away when George St. Pierre out-wrestled Josh Koscheck.
The welterweight discussion led to a lot of talk about weight classes. Angle said he weighed only 209 lbs. for the Olympics, which was 11 lbs. under weight. He said that he found it impossible to put on weight.
Rice switched up topics and brought up Fedor Emelianenko and his recent win at the World Sambo Championships. There were a lot of jokes made about Fedor’s no-showing opponents. Rutten defended Fedor saying it was his third title defense so it should not discredit him for being the Sambo champion. Angle couldn’t understand how they did not have any replacements. Angle then said Fedor is one of the best, but he is still unknown in North America and needs to prove himself to the North American audience to solidify himself as the greatest.

Sounds about right Anyway If Dana wants to cash in his chips maybe he could sign Angle to one bout vs Brock.Now that id definitly pay to see!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Mob
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Kurt Angle speaks

Kurt Angle and Lesner would get their asses beaten by "The Maineiac"
Mob is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Angle needs to stfu about MMA already!!
chimba is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Mob
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah, these wrestlers now all think that as long as they have a successful amatuer wrestling background,...that they can step right into MMA.
Mob is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba
Angle needs to stfu about MMA already!!
What's wrong with Angle talking about MMA? I mean.. if we can sit around talking about MMA all of the time, certainly an Olympic Gold Medalist Wrestler can speak his mind on the issue as well.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

Angle is a broken neck waiting to happen. I hope he doesn't get into MMA or something bad may happen and the last thing MMA needs is bad publicity.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #7
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob
Yeah, these wrestlers now all think that as long as they have a successful amatuer wrestling background,...that they can step right into MMA.
I don't see why they can't? After watching the weak match ups last night, it's def. possible.
audio101 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 AM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
Angle is a broken neck waiting to happen. I hope he doesn't get into MMA or something bad may happen and the last thing MMA needs is bad publicity.
Angles fortunate he even has a career in the TNA.Once the bones are fused in his neck his career is over.His only stalling the inevitable.But theres no denying this mans passion and charisma.He truly loves what he does.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

i think kurt can talk about mma all he wants. free speech. and he's a gold medalist in wrestling so he really knows what he's talking about
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

He would have been one of the biggest prospects ever 1 or 2 years after his HW gold medal, but after his pro wrestling days, used goods.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

The man was a gold medalist wrestler. Thats about as much foundation as you need to start you off in MMA. I would have loved to see him build on that with JJ, striking etc You never know though because WWE and TNA have hardly taxed his body so he might have some time left in him.

I do think he talks about it too much. I'd love to see him just sign and see where he goes. WWE guys might suprise some people in how well they do. They may go bust but we are talking about big, strong, powerful guys who certainly appear quick, agile and fast. I'm intrigued at guys like Brock and Angle.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
The man was a gold medalist wrestler. Thats about as much foundation as you need to start you off in MMA. I would have loved to see him build on that with JJ, striking etc You never know though because WWE and TNA have hardly taxed his body so he might have some time left in him.

I do think he talks about it too much. I'd love to see him just sign and see where he goes. WWE guys might suprise some people in how well they do. They may go bust but we are talking about big, strong, powerful guys who certainly appear quick, agile and fast. I'm intrigued at guys like Brock and Angle.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Angle try to pull off at least one appearance in a MMA ring. His wrestling background is the perfect foundation to build upon. Of course, this is far too late in his career for him to be a threat to the top fighters - but he could be in a few exhibition type match ups.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Bluenose
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob
Hate to break it to you mate but plenty of Pro Wrestlers are more than capable.

Guys like the following all have some sort of background, some of which have already entered the martial art world.

Ken Shamrock
Nunzio
Sho Funaki
Tajiri
Saku

For example Nunzio was trained by catch Wrestler Billy Robinson and has also Wrestled shoot-style matches in the Japanese UWFi. Just look how far catch Wrestler, Kazushi Sakuraba went in MMA.

Funaki was trained by Yoshiaki Fujiwara who has knowledge in catch Wrestling (Trained by legit shooter Karl Gotch). Funaki worked in the shoot-style Fujiwara Gumi/BattlArts promotions.

Also, someone like Dave Finlay could have perhaps done not too bad. He was trained by Ted Betley whom took him to the Snake Pit. For those unaware Riley(Man who ran the snake pit) is considered by many worldwide to be the greatest shooter of all time, with everyone from Karl Gotch to Billy Robinson to Dynamite to Marty Jones having gone through The Snake Pit. I'm sure if you asked Fujinami or Nishimura for a list of influences, they'd both list Riley as a major factor somewhere along the line.

In addition someon like William Regal obvious could handle himself. He does have a tremendous level of knowledge in hooking.

Marty Jones, Dave Finlay, Steve Regal, Robbie Brookside, Dave Taylor, John Naylor, John Foley and more. Bearing in mind that a number of British workers consider Regal to be one of the poorer workers out of that crowd, you've got to wonder just how dangerous some of those guys really were.

Kazuyuki Fujita, Has Competed for PRIDE FC and NJPW. He may not be the best mixed martial artist in the world, but he's certainly one of the toughest. He took a beating from Ken Shamrock, a trained submission fighter, but ending up winning because Shamrock ran out of energy, he also beat Bob Sapp, a glorified street brawler and, despite losing, took it to Fedor Emelianenko, a sambo fighter and the hardest man in the world today.

Shinsuke Nakamura, Yuji Nagata, Yoshiro Takayama all have been NJPW workers who have dabbled in mixed martial arts, all trained in submission/ shoot fighting (like Pancrase), as well as boxing, kickboxing and whatever else they've picked up over the years.

So don't diss certain wrestlers, especially Kurt. He may be deluded at times but he does know his stuff.

About five years ago If Kurt had made the transition to MMA I believe he could have achived quite a bit due to his natural ability and sheer determination. Sadly, his body is now shot and could not handle it.

Although by all accounts back when both he and Lesnar were with the WWE, he destroyed Brock in a backstage makeshift legit wrestling match.
Bluenose is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

Sakauraba was also a pro-wrestler.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
Bluenose
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson
What about Billy Robinson "The King of Catch"? One of Josh Barnette's trainers. I believe Barnette has also done some Pro Wrestling in Japan.
Indeed, he wrestled for New Japan and I'm sure I mentioned Billy in my post on the previous page.
Bluenose is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum