Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Leif Erikson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default The Williams chin conundrum

As we saw last night, Williams can be hit and hurt badly, even by light punching fighters such as Sergio Martinez. However, he managed to weather the storm and see the final bell, earning a debatable decision victory. If you browse Williams' record, it's obvious that he hasn't fought a genuine 'knockout artist' since he started mixing it with top quality fighters. With this in mind, I think that Pavlik must be kicking himself for his apparent reticence to take on Williams - Such a contest would almost certainly end in a morale boosting first round knock out win for the Ohio man. I'm not a huge fan of his, but given Williams inability to take punches from Martinez without wilting, it's something of a no-brainer.

However, if he somehow made it through the early storm, being dropped and hurt but surviving could Williams chin again 'grow' into the task as it seemed to last night? Personally, I don't think so - We know that Martinez can't punch for toffee at world class level but given his flooring and repeated buzzing of Williams, you have to suspect that a genuine puncher would add a first stoppage defeat to the record of 'The Punisher'.
Leif Erikson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default Re: The Williams chin conundrum

Martinez is not light hitting and even more, his punches come fast and from different angles. He has variety and speed, meaning he will always catch people clean and unexpected. Considering he has good power, it's not suprising he hurt Williams and he will hurt other top class fighters too.

Is Williams' chin a doubt? Not at all. He has a good chin but unexpected punches are the ones which hurt the most. As long as he is wary of the straight right, he'll be fine.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He did take some monster punches by Maragarito and Matthysse. Margarito could punch(and could have been wearing illegal hand wraps) and Matthysse(though a bad fighter) could bang too. Although Williams was hurt by that knockdown, honestly I think part of that knockdown was because he couldn't see the punch and because of fighting inactivity. And also Martinez can punch, I mean he basically knocked out Cintron, the ref just wasn't doing his job.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Zak2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Erikson View Post
As we saw last night, Williams can be hit and hurt badly, even by light punching fighters such as Sergio Martinez. However, he managed to weather the storm and see the final bell, earning a debatable decision victory. If you browse Williams' record, it's obvious that he hasn't fought a genuine 'knockout artist' since he started mixing it with top quality fighters. With this in mind, I think that Pavlik must be kicking himself for his apparent reticence to take on Williams - Such a contest would almost certainly end in a morale boosting first round knock out win for the Ohio man. I'm not a huge fan of his, but given Williams inability to take punches from Martinez without wilting, it's something of a no-brainer.

However, if he somehow made it through the early storm, being dropped and hurt but surviving could Williams chin again 'grow' into the task as it seemed to last night? Personally, I don't think so - We know that Martinez can't punch for toffee at world class level but given his flooring and repeated buzzing of Williams, you have to suspect that a genuine puncher would add a first stoppage defeat to the record of 'The Punisher'.
Martinez is not a big puncher!! Let someone that really hits hard and you will see that PW chin is not that good. PW has poor defense and I see a devastating knock out in his future.

Martinez had him really hurt, but Martinez never really followed up his shots, he decided clench and wrestle Williams after he land a hard shot on Williams, he never would apply the pressure and go for the knock out.

It kind of reminded me of when Clottey fought Cotto, Clottey fought good enough to lose.
Zak2 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

styles make fights...u cant base anything off this and say what pav would do.....evander holyfield struggled and looked like shit against a blown up bobby czyz while tyson was knocking WBA and WBC champions out in Frank Bruno and Bruce Seldon....then they meet and holyfield kicks his ass all over the ring....pavlik getting owned by hopkins and knocking out bums in his last 2 fights and not fighting for a year aint gonna help him.....
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Zak2
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Martinez is not light hitting and even more, his punches come fast and from different angles. He has variety and speed, meaning he will always catch people clean and unexpected. Considering he has good power, it's not suprising he hurt Williams and he will hurt other top class fighters too.

Is Williams' chin a doubt? Not at all. He has a good chin but unexpected punches are the ones which hurt the most. As long as he is wary of the straight right, he'll be fine.
Once again, Martinez is not, I repeat, is not a power puncher. PW gets knocked out by a real puncher.
Zak2 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Leif Erikson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak2 View Post
Martinez is not a big puncher!! Let someone that really hits hard and you will see that PW chin is not that good. PW has poor defense and I see a devastating knock out in his future.
I agree. I said that he's not a big puncher! A 50% KO ratio says it all. I think Williams should nix the idea of a Pavlik fight for now and stay at 154.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
TonyPeri
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Martinez won the fight. But I think he and PW out box Pavlick who I've lost all respect for.
TonyPeri is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
walk with me
Champion
East Side Guru

I'm still waiting to see the fitht but one punch on the money is all it takes... Who knows if pavlik would land that
walk with me is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Erikson View Post
I agree. I said that he's not a big puncher! A 50% KO ratio says it all. I think Williams should nix the idea of a Pavlik fight for now and stay at 154.
What does KO ratio's have to do with anything? Ike Williams had a 50% KO ratio or so, I bet he can't punch either, right? LaMotta's was about 30%, I bet he's feather-fisted too, aye?
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Beenie
Evolve already!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1389

Martinez may not be a banger but he also isn't a light puncher.

Just ask Cintron about how light Martinez' punches are who argued to the ref that the punch that knocked him down was caused from a butt.
Beenie is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
boricua100%
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have never seen this before

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
boricua100% is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Martinez has grown into a puncher.. his record over the last 17 fights = 15 wins 1 loss 1 draw and 14 KO's.

Change that draw to a KO like it should have been and it'd be 16 - 1 w/ 15 KO's.

Yeah, of course he can't punch.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

I couldn't care less what you see when you go onto BoxRec. I've watched Martinez for years and I know he is a hard puncher. He's not a one punch KO artist, but his record is deceptive.

KO ratio tells you nothing, as was proven when Ike Williams was mentioned - Go onto YouTube, watch him destroy Beau Jack, who was as tough as they come, and tell me he can't punch and that KO ratio means something.

BoxRec warriors...
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
Leif Erikson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousxtian View Post
Martinez has grown into a puncher.. his record over the last 17 fights = 15 wins 1 loss 1 draw and 14 KO's.

Change that draw to a KO like it should have been and it'd be 16 - 1 w/ 15 KO's.

Yeah, of course he can't punch.
Against TERRIBLE opposition for the most part. Just terrible.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum