Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #31
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano Vs Mike Spinks

The Spinks Jinx is no joke and if it lands constantly he could cut Marciano up and TKO in the late rounds.
hussleman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #32
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Interesting fight .. the Spinks that fought Qwai makes this an interesting bout ..far more than an old Charles or Walcott ...Spinks, size, speed, reach and boxing skills would make this Rocky's toughest match up .... I'd like to see this one .. could go either way ..
strongly disagree. Its a mismatch for rocky.

spinks has no pedigree at heavyweight what so ever. Holmes was past it and he barley beat him. cooney? tangstead?

Tyson put spinks into perspective.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #33
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Spinks has a heavyweight pedigree. He'd have cleaned out most of them, he just happened to meet the young runaway freight train, the best heavyweight in the world at the time, at his very, very best. I don't think getting stopped by Tyson is a major statement of how Spinks would've performed as a heavy, at least for a couple of years until Bowe and Lewis developed, who would've been too big for him.

And talking heavyweights,at 185 pounds, what pedigree at what we now call heavyweight, did Rocky have? Did he ever fight at 218 pound Mike Tyson? If he had, it would've been worse than any plane crash....

Honestly, I like the Rock a lot, but I think there's something a bit flukey about his reign, honestly. I think there are lots of guys who would've been big enough, athletic enough, and strong enough to beat him. I wish the Rock had stuck around to fight Patterson and Liston...so many questions would've been answered.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 AM   #34
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Voltage View Post
I think Spinks has a heavyweight pedigree. He'd have cleaned out most of them, he just happened to meet the young runaway freight train, the best heavyweight in the world at the time, at his very, very best. .

spinks beat the man at the top but the timing was right, the tactics were right and he NEVER established himself as beter than ANY of the genuine contenders. The tactics that worked on holmes (the only way he could have won) only worked that one time then he was found out.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #35
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Rojo View Post
You're all over-rating Marciano. Spinks is no joke.
His heavyweight resume is so filled with quality guys, isn't it?
There's a reason Spinks, took on Cooney, and Tangstad, instead of the iron of the division.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #36
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Heavyweight contest; who takes it? The awkward sharp shooting and odd combinations of Spinks befuddles and cuts Marciano, or the tenacious, accumulative punching of Marciano wears Spinks down?

Both men have one shot power when they land right as well.

If you feel a hypothetical light Heavyweight version of Spinks fares better with an extra ten lbs or so feel free to include this in your analysis.
Marciano breaks him down with body punishment, ko in 8rds.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #37
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Voltage View Post
Honestly, I like the Rock a lot, but I think there's something a bit flukey about his reign, honestly. I think there are lots of guys who would've been big enough, athletic enough, and strong enough to beat him. I wish the Rock had stuck around to fight Patterson and Liston...so many questions would've been answered.
What in retirement marciano ducked liston and patterson?

How many rated contenders did spinks bypass when he was active? not only did he fight the wrong gerrie as in coetzee he missed out Thomas, dokes, witherspoon, tony tubbs, truth williams, frank bruno, berbick, tucker, page, weaver, tyrell biggs, evander holyfeild who all had a rating when spinks selected un rated cooney and tangsted.

Last edited by choklab; 03-13-2011 at 03:05 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #38
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
His heavyweight resume is so filled with quality guys, isn't it?
There's a reason Spinks, took on Cooney, and Tangstad, instead of the iron of the division.
Heavyweight schmeavyweight.

How heavy was Rocky? Oh yeah, 185 lbs. Not big enough even for cruiserweight today.
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
strongly disagree. Its a mismatch for rocky.

spinks has no pedigree at heavyweight what so ever. Holmes was past it and he barley beat him. cooney? tangstead?

Tyson put spinks into perspective.
Talk about no pedigree, Marciano did not fight one top fighter with Spink's size and skill set in his physicial prime in his career .. Spink's actually put on a masterful performance against a extremely tough Qwai where he demonstrated his ability to use his speed, reach, size and power to outbox a super talented smaller, string man ...

When you try and compare Marciano w Tyson but leave out thirty pounds of muscle and a ton of speed you lose legitimacy all together ...

I repeat it is a very interesting match up ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Rojo View Post
Heavyweight schmeavyweight.

How heavy was Rocky? Oh yeah, 185 lbs. Not big enough even for cruiserweight today.

the guy boiled down to an optimum weight like they all did then. more road work and less protien shakes. rock was a solid 200 pounder by nature but he trained like a post war heavyweight. Put todays heavyweights in those gyms and camps and they would all lose 30lb.

spinks was 170 in 1985 training like a 1980s fighter.

Last edited by choklab; 03-13-2011 at 03:06 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #41
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Talk about no pedigree, Marciano did not fight one top fighter with Spink's size and skill set in his physicial prime in his career .. ..

ezzard charles walked through more rated heavyweights as good and beter than the guys spinks ducked and he was still knocking out rated heavyweights when he fought marciano. ezz was as big as spinks. remember spinks beat no rated fighters at HW and was really 1-2 against champions he did fight.

Spiinks was 199, walcott was 197. Are you thinking walcott has less skill set than spinks?

Last edited by choklab; 03-13-2011 at 12:05 PM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #42
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano with a pretty quick KO, Qwawi did not have Marciano like power and I see the double left hook that got Mathews wrecking havoc on Spinks not to mention the Suzie -Q...In fact I pick Archie to dispatch Michael as well...Spinks pretty much freezes when he feels Marciano's power. I do not consider Spinks near the class of Ezzard Charles as a heavyweight and these men would have stopped him before he got to Rocky
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #43
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
ezzard charles walked through more heavyweights as good and beter than the guys spinks ducked and he was still knocking out rated heavyweights when he fought marciano. He was as big as spinks. remember spinks beat no rated fighters at HW and was really 1-2 against champions he did fight.

Spiinks was 199, walcott was 197. Are you thinking walcott has less skill set than spinks?
Look, there is no reason to go round and around with the same guys time and again ... Rocky's top opponents were all old, period. It's like saying Corbett KO'ed Sullivan but choosing to leave out it was the 34 year old version ... only Marciano hardcore guys choose to constantly ignore small details like the ages of the top men he fought ..

whatever , based on actual ring activity and not fantasy I say a 28 year old , 200 pound, 6'3", 77 inch reach Michael Spinks can use the tools he displayed against Qwai and Holmes to present Marciano with a very interesting challenge. His height, reach , terrific jab, combination punching, right hand power, tricky defense and outstanding stamina would give Rocky fits .. and Rocky beating weathered down, legless versions of Charles, Walcott or Moore does nothing to discourage me on the point ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #44
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
... only Marciano hardcore guys choose to constantly ignore small details like the ages of the top men he fought ....
Only anti- marciano guys ingnore small details like the "at that time rating" of the top men he fought.

why not meet me half way and accept he beat all the great fighters of his era?

Quote:
, legless versions of Charles, Walcott or Moore does nothing to discourage me on the point ..
legless versions of charles, walcott and moore brought their A game into the ring against marciano each were on prime form fighting great fights and lost.

The same legless versions of walcott, charles and moore would have crucified spinks because they did knock out at that time rated heavyweights and spinks could not.

Last edited by choklab; 03-14-2011 at 04:21 AM.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #45
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

i'm gonna say Rocky by KO. mid rounds. He'll find him sooner or later, after having some trouble with Michael's movement and skills.
tommygun711 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum