Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Who wins a LONDON PRIZE FIGHT?
Tyson by KO* 1 2.86%
Tyson on points* 0 0%
Jeffries by KO* 0 0%
Jeffries on points* 0 0%
I HAVE NOT read the question: Tyson wins* 1 2.86%
I HAVE NOT read the question: Jeffries wins* 0 0%
*Your vote will not count towards the Tournament 1 2.86%
I fully understand the question: Jim Jeffries wins 15 42.86%
I fully understand the question: Mike Tyson wins 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cael View Post
it's mindblowing that Tyson not only managed to get in the final, but he's also winning.
Yes lets all pick the guy who had limited skills by his own era's poor standards, never fought a 200+lb man, had limited power and also never fought bare fist
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #17
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBoxer View Post
Lennox Lewis
Evander Holyfield
I would maybe like to say Vitali.


Have you read accounts of some of the LPR battles ,particularly the more protracted ones ? Vitali quit in a fight , with a damaged arm,in a fight he was winning.
Some of the old Bruisers fought unitl they were virtually blinded.
Whoever succeeded at their gory game, needed very big balls. Both Klits DSQ'd
Boucher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Quite a curious final.

Basicaly a showdown between the fighter that the old time fight students would (corectly) identify as being best suited to this ruleset, and the fighter that modern fighter observers would (misguidedly) identify as being best suited to this ruleset.
Tyson lacked the heart and focus. London Rules would demand even more of this, as the fights last much longer. Jeffries wins here.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

So Tyson is the ESB LPR rules champion...this is the guy who talks openly about difficulties with his lungs and stamina and admits this is why he was best in the early rounds and why he tried to finish fights quickly...how utterly bizarre.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #20
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
[/u]

Have you read accounts of some of the LPR battles ,particularly the more protracted ones ? Vitali quit in a fight , with a damaged arm,in a fight he was winning.
Some of the old Bruisers fought unitl they were virtually blinded.
Whoever succeeded at their gory game, needed very big balls. Both Klits DSQ'd
Vitali quit because he is a sports doctor, and feared he could further damage his shoulder. Remember, back then Vitali was very young, and had not made a lot of money or become famous. He was also unaware of how the western press would react.

Yer boy Jackson Jonson quit TWICE in fights, was Ko'd by one punch, fouled out in another. Just thought you should know

PS: Hi McVey.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #21
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

I think Tex Cobb would have been quite good under the LPR.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
Cael
Claudia Cardinale
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ballz Deep
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 811
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Yes lets all pick the guy who had limited skills by his own era's poor standards, never fought a 200+lb man, had limited power and also never fought bare fist
seriously?

i'm not surprised that you an kalashin voted for Tyson, after all he's your superhero.
Cael is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
So Tyson is the ESB LPR rules champion...this is the guy who talks openly about difficulties with his lungs and stamina and admits this is why he was best in the early rounds and why he tried to finish fights quickly...how utterly bizarre.
Tyson was supposed to be phenomenal in his roadwork in the early days and to do what he did took an awful lot of stamina, however he would need to adjust his style to the longer duration

It really is more bizarre that Jeffries has made the final. He never beat a 200lb+ man, he came close to losing to a Corbett who hadn't won in 6years and he quit rather than get knocked out for 10, so all the talk of him being tougher, mentally stronger and never quiting is pretty redundant because he did.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #24
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cael View Post
seriously?

i'm not surprised that you an kalashin voted for Tyson, after all he's your superhero.
I'm not sure how this changes the fact that Jeffries was an unskilled oaf who fought 1 elite fighter and got his ass handed to him
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #25
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Tyson was supposed to be phenomenal in his roadwork in the early days and to do what he did took an awful lot of stamina, however he would need to adjust his style to the longer duration
Nothing to do with styles, he had a lung disorder.

He generally looks markedly better early than late, unlike, say, Jeffries, Frazier or Marciano or even Johnson or Holmes.

He's not cut out for this style. At all.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #26
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Nothing to do with styles, he had a lung disorder.

He generally looks markedly better early than late, unlike, say, Jeffries, Frazier or Marciano or even Johnson or Holmes.

He's not cut out for this style. At all.
People with asthma and other conditions can actually be very physically fit and yes his style is that of a frontrunner, its the boxing equivilent of sprinting, try doing a Tyson impression and then try doing an impression of any of those other fighters. The Tyson impression will tire you far quicker because he's simply doing more

Its also an assumption that just because an opponent has 60seconds to get up he is going to do it. Even great fighters will quit (ie stay down) or be ko'd or have their towell thrown in when they are out of their depth and taking a shell shocking
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #27
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: from parts unknown
Posts: 9,177
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Vitali, and Wladimir would actually both be ideally suited, when you think about it. The only question is condition. Both seem well conditioned but it is hard to compare them, given that their condition of opponents are generally so bad, Tony Galento would probably seem well conditioned in todays environment.
No way Wlad is suited for this, he's fragile & when physical pressure is put on him he gasses early & badly; see Brewster I.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #28
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
People with asthma and other conditions can actually be very physically fit and yes his style is that of a frontrunner, its the boxing equivilent of sprinting, try doing a Tyson impression and then try doing an impression of any of those other fighters. The Tyson impression will tire you far quicker because he's simply doing more
Yeah, his style doesn't work with the ruleset, yes a lung disorder can be overcome, yes a lung disorder is a disadvantage here, yes, Tyson talkes about being better in the early parts of fights, yes Tyson tends to look better early than late. All negatives.

Quote:
Its also an assumption that just because an opponent has 60seconds to get up he is going to do it. Even great fighters will quit (ie stay down) or be ko'd or have their towell thrown in when they are out of their depth and taking a shell shocking
Tyson quit several times in the ring and doesn't show good temprament at any time in his career, really.

I wouldn't agree with his winning a MOQ type tournie, but I could understand why he might do well on the forum, I would imagine he would do very well and may be a winner.

But I don't understand this at all.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #29
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Yeah, his style doesn't work with the ruleset, yes a lung disorder can be overcome, yes a lung disorder is a disadvantage here, yes, Tyson talkes about being better in the early parts of fights, yes Tyson tends to look better early than late. All negatives.

Tyson quit several times in the ring and doesn't show good temprament at any time in his career, really.

I wouldn't agree with his winning a MOQ type tournie, but I could understand why he might do well on the forum, I would imagine he would do very well and may be a winner.

But I don't understand this at all.
Well his style will better than Jeffries given Tyson actually had 10 times the boxing skill Jeffries had regardless of era, which is partly due to the era, and the lack of talent pool due to it being a developing sport with less money in it.

JEffries has seriously bad technique and I don't know how the man in this footage can be seen as a threat:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj2jOpoecfc[/ame]

Based on this footage would you see John Ruiz as a threat under LPR too

Yes Tyson did quit right at the end of his career and fouled out too. Jeffries quit in the biggest fight of his life, quite a difference. And Tyson nearly had as much time out of the ring as Jeffries and abused his body with more substances. I don't see an issue with Tyson's temprerment pre-prison

Going back to the LPR the majority of the forum don't seem to focus on the rounds/stamina issue. Who actually adapts to use their hands with good technique, anyone who punches the same way they do when wrapped/gloved will just break their hands.

A punchers power will also be amplified so I wouldn't rule out Tyson knocking someone out for 60seconds, he knocked out top contenders with cushioned everlast gloves so he could certainly do it without gloves.

BTW am I right in thinking under these rules elbowing is legal? Tyson would have a field day with elbows
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #30
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,035
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Heavyweight Tournament with a Twist: THE FINAL (Jeffries/Tyson)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Well his style will better than Jeffries given Tyson actually had 10 times the boxing skill Jeffries had regardless of era, which is partly due to the era, and the lack of talent pool due to it being a developing sport with less money in it.
That's your opinion, and you know I disagree slightly. I think Tyson is more skilled just because he was exceptionally skilled. There are differences though, in the era, I just don't think it's the most important factor.


Quote:
I don't see an issue with Tyson's temprerment pre-prison
There are various shows of frustration that affected his boxing pre-prison. He's no Monzon, that's for sure.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013