Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Names like Josh Barnett, and Fedor Emelianenko initially come to mind, but one name that is threatening to have an immediate impact is Paul "Semtex" Daley. Daley, who is scheduled to fight Nick Diaz for the Strikeforce welterweight title on April 9th, is now saying he may not fight Diaz.

"Business as usual, what if i dont wanna fight for DANA WHITE/ZUFFA?......Dana white bans me for life from the UFC, Then buys STRIKEFORCE, and thinks im still gonna be EASY and fight on one of the most anticipated fights of the year (vs Diaz)? Which will no doubt make ZUFFA/Dana White money. Daley vs Diaz still on?.....Someone better holla at my manager real quick."

Daley was released from his UFC contract back in May of 2010, for blatantly punching Josh Koscheck, after the third round and fight had already ended. In a statement made by Dana White after the event, the UFC president said "He'll never come back, I don't care if he's the best 170-pounder in the world. He's never coming back here."
Paul Daley threatening to pull out of fight with Nick Diaz - UFC NEWS, MMA NEWS | BJPENN.COM

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

I think this merger is a bad thing for MMA. But in the case of Daley, it couldnt happen to a nicer guy
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I think this merger is a bad thing for MMA. But in the case of Daley, it couldnt happen to a nicer guy
Whilst i dont condone Daley's actions at all i am a fan as he's exciting to watch. Contrary to what many fans seem to think NO fighter has to wait for ANY scraps to fall off a Zuffa table just so they can eat.
There is nothing to stop them pursuing careers elsewhere or even packing up fighting. If i was in Daley positions i would absolute stick to my guns. He's a man first. He has his pride. If that means turning down Dana White who did say VERY categorically he had no place in the UFC then why fight on his bill? I would happily put two fingers up at the establishment.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well a lot of fighters will feel the same way and jump the Zuffa ship and I respect that, show integrity. But as soon as another promotion maybe builds name for itself using these fighters then the Zuffa cheque book will duely test these promotions integrity. Or the more likely scenarios is without a credible rival to the UFC Zuffa will now just cherry pick the best from small promotions even more aggressively and not let the small promotions thrive other than giving future stars their start in the sport. And people just seem concerned about Fedors last waltz to retirement. The issue is much bigger that if fighter a fights fighter B imo
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 888

Doubt Daley is going to make more money elsewhere. Pretty sure he wont e able to get out of the contract.
Ubersteve is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well a lot of fighters will feel the same way and jump the Zuffa ship and I respect that, show integrity. But as soon as another promotion maybe builds name for itself using these fighters then the Zuffa cheque book will duely test these promotions integrity. Or the more likely scenarios is without a credible rival to the UFC Zuffa will now just cherry pick the best from small promotions even more aggressively and not let the small promotions thrive other than giving future stars their start in the sport. And people just seem concerned about Fedors last waltz to retirement. The issue is much bigger that if fighter a fights fighter B imo
Absolutely spot on. But the simple crux of the matter is Fighter A fighting fighter B under THEIR OWN TERMS.
What the UFC is doing is exactly the same as what Vince McMahon did in the WWE. Even if a Wrestler left he invariably owned all the rights to that wrestler and usually they were not able to compete for a number of years because of contractual and legal disagreements. Thats a ludicrous situation for ANY professional fighter and completely surmises the type of organisation that Zuffa are. The fact that Dana is completely opposed to Ali Act really shows the type of integrity he has towards his fighters other than those that make his organisation serious money ala Brock GSP Liddell etc. Like i said its only one up from ECW these days.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersteve View Post
Doubt Daley is going to make more money elsewhere. Pretty sure he wont e able to get out of the contract.
Well his contract is with SF and Showtime. Who knows what the finer stipulations of that require. Interesting times ahead indeed though as there will be MANY fighters who wont be happy about this at all.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This Strikeforce will be independent pretence will be null and void as soon as the existing contracts like Daleys, M! and Showtime are honoured. I guarantee it. Then it will be business as usual
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
Aeolus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Dana basically said scott can choose if Daley fights in strikeforce,IF this is true Daley is sabotaging his own career,imagine if he beat Diaz...
Aeolus is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Dude Dana said the same thing about PRIDE. We know what happened there. Zuffa will retain all intellectual property as they see fit and dispense with the rest. They can do this because its theirs. I don't know why anyone would be naive enough to believe otherwise.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
Dana basically said scott can choose if Daley fights in strikeforce,IF this is true Daley is sabotaging his own career,imagine if he beat Diaz...
First and foremost Daley fights for HIMSELF. He has his OWN career and livelihood to consider first. If that means sticking to his guns and making a living elsewhere NO ONE can fault him for that.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Just thought he's also stopped EA sports MMA game franchise in its track as well. So many implications to this and it's just starting to hit home. To be honest I think I was in a bit of denial about Zuffas Vince Mcmahon pretensions
But we may get to see Brock v Fedor whooooo ****ing hoooo!
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Aeolus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
First and foremost Daley fights for HIMSELF. He has his OWN career and livelihood to consider first. If that means sticking to his guns and making a living elsewhere NO ONE can fault him for that.
you are right,but I still think it would be better for him to take the fight in my opinion,but we will see what happens......
Aeolus is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Just thought he's also stopped EA sports MMA game franchise in its track as well. So many implications to this and it's just starting to hit home. To be honest I think I was in a bit of denial about Zuffas Vince Mcmahon pretensions
But we may get to see Brock v Fedor whooooo ****ing hoooo!
What happens to the fighters royalties with the EA MMA franchise? Matter of fact what happens to the franchise?!?!?! Some fighters like Couture and Hendo deliberately went with EA (obviously to make some money) but also because they didn't want to sign their rights away to Zuffa. What now?
The reality is the implications of this are huge.
And Fedor will be back on the M-1 circuit or retired. He doesn't need MMA any more and there's no way he'll ever fight in the UFC. Fans can safely put that one to bed. All this acquisition has done is hastened his retirement.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolus View Post
you are right,but I still think it would be better for him to take the fight in my opinion,but we will see what happens......
Id love to see that fight. But i don't see it happening now as Daley is very much a free spirit. He's fought on a multitude of promotions and has no qualms fighting anywhere any place any time. (Reminds me alot of Jeff Monson in that respect who also left the UFC on bad terms because of a similar said issue). Bad news for MMA fans but ultimately bad for the sport BECAUSE of Zuffa.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum