Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #46
Big T
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

The only other thing he can do, is go and fight for King Of The Cage. Won't make spit for them, but it will still give him fights in the U.S. and might give him a chance to make better money. K-1 is almost done...((Hope Not)) and MMA in Japan is in a bad way.
Big T is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #47
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
That is the problem with boxing. That is what is killing it. Promoters and networks gobble up the fighters they can, and the don't allow them to compete against fighters that are locked up by other promotions and/or networks. If fighters remained free agents, they could fight for King one month or Arum another. They could fight on HBO today and Showtime for the next event. Fighters would make more per event, because they would be fighting for the highest bidder. Better fights would be made, because the promotional companies would not be able to stand in the way of a fight being made.
As much as we complain about the state of boxing the reality is ALL fighters under ONE promoter is clearly NOT the way forward. Its utterly ludicrous to think this is good for fighters and the sports longevity.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #48
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
**** in 2008 they agreed to let Randy Couture keep his contract. The idea that Zuffa would blatantly tamper with contracts is absurd.
After Randy took them to court. Your selective journalism is a joke. Or did you forget that glaring fact? And learn to read. I already said a public spat between the EA and the UFC is unlikely simply because it makes no sense for either and wouldn't be a fight the UFC could ever win.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #49
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
As much as we complain about the state of boxing the reality is ALL fighters under ONE promoter is clearly NOT the way forward. Its utterly ludicrous to think this is good for fighters and the sports longevity.
I didn't say it was. I don't think the UFC should be hold fighters to multiple fight contracts. I'm arguing that promotional companies should only be able to hold fighters on a fight by fight basis.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #50
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I didn't say it was. I don't think the UFC should be hold fighters to multiple fight contracts. I'm arguing that promotional companies should only be able to hold fighters on a fight by fight basis.
The problem isn't the multi fight deals. Its the clauses and exclusive stipulations in them. The UFC wants ALL options on their fighters. That simply doesn't meet the needs of those fighters who want to make their living elsewhere. The UFC mantra is simply my way or the high way.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #51
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Randy Couture is a big name in MMA he sells PPV. Losing ihn for the game but keeping that revenue and name recognition is the lesser of two evils for a business stand point. Look at the Brock v Randy buy numbers for concrete proof. And at his age he's not going to appear in these games forever. You need young blood to keep this ticking over. And the UFC has more than enough big names signed to exclusive image right contracts to make the game sellable Brock, Crop cop, Shogun, Machida, BJ, GSP, Matt Hughes on so on. But EA had Randy and Fedor

And the young blood is gonna have to sign with the UFC to make a name for themselves. Randy was the exception that proves the rule in this case, not proof that the UFC is flexible on these matters. That leave EA with no option as Ive pointed out in my previous post. I think Scurls point was that over time Strikeforce could have signed or bred their own marquee names to help the EA franchise as well as PPV's or however and org makes money

Can you see this point now?
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #52
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Randy Couture is a big name in MMA he sells PPV. Losing ihn for the game but keeping that revenue and name recognition is the lesser of two evils for a business stand point. Look at the Brock v Randy buy numbers for concrete proof. And at his age he's not going to appear in these games forever. You need young blood to keep this ticking over. And the UFC has more than enough big names signed to exclusive image right contracts to make the game sellable Brock, Crop cop, Shogun, Machida, BJ, GSP, Matt Hughes on so on. But EA had Randy and Fedor

And the young blood is gonna have to sign with the UFC to make a name for themselves. Randy was the exception that proves the rule in this case, not proof that the UFC is flexible on these matters. That leave EA with no option as Ive pointed out in my previous post. I think Scurls point was that over time Strikeforce could have signed or bred their own marquee names to help the EA franchise as well as PPV's or however and org makes money

Can you see this point now?
Don't expect Will Coolbollocks to see that. He's is on the UFC payroll after all...
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #53
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
The problem isn't the multi fight deals. Its the clauses and exclusive stipulations in them. The UFC wants ALL options on their fighters. That simply doesn't meet the needs of those fighters who want to make their living elsewhere. The UFC mantra is simply my way or the high way.
Multiple fight contracts is what initially locks the fighters in. They allow Zuffa to say if you allow your likeness on this video game, then you can't fight here. Oh, and by the way, you can't fight elsewhere because you have 2 fights left on our contract.

You can't where that T-Shirt because they are not an approved sponsor. If you where that shirt, you can't fight. You can't fight elsewhere, because you have a fight with us left on your contract.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #54
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Randy Couture is a big name in MMA he sells PPV. Losing ihn for the game but keeping that revenue and name recognition is the lesser of two evils for a business stand point. Look at the Brock v Randy buy numbers for concrete proof. And at his age he's not going to appear in these games forever. You need young blood to keep this ticking over. And the UFC has more than enough big names signed to exclusive image right contracts to make the game sellable Brock, Crop cop, Shogun, Machida, BJ, GSP, Matt Hughes on so on. But EA had Randy and Fedor

And the young blood is gonna have to sign with the UFC to make a name for themselves. Randy was the exception that proves the rule in this case, not proof that the UFC is flexible on these matters. That leave EA with no option as Ive pointed out in my previous post. I think Scurls point was that over time Strikeforce could have signed or bred their own marquee names to help the EA franchise as well as PPV's or however and org makes money

Can you see this point now?
That was not his point. Here is what he said

"Newsflash EA MAKE MONEY OFF THE FRANCHISE. They STILL continue to make money from it. Irrespective of wether they will make a sequel, or or not there is a contractual agreement between the fighters and EA. That my friend has **** all to do with Zuffa. EA have the economic might to completely destroy the UFC. Im pretty sure it won't come to that. But nonetheless it will still be interesting to see "how" Zuffa will approach this when it is Dana/UFC that took issue with EA's game and the fighters that made agreements with them."

That is clearly referring to Dana White trying to prevent fighters or EA making money of the current game. Complete fantasy land.

As I already said I don't think we'd ever get another game. EA went against its usual MO of getting the biggest licences possible and basing the game on them. Didn't work. That's not anything unique to MMA - the same thing is true with other sports where unlicensed games usually do badly (pro evo was the one exception and it had to start playing the licence game to stay competitive).

There is also the wider issue about how much interest there is MMA video games. UFC/THQ massively misjudged the market in 2010 as was seen by the massive reduction in sales. They're now going on a bi-annual schedule (ironically the schedule that EA had planned) which is probably wise. Most niche sports have one major franchise and it doesn't have the regular updates of the American Big Four and Soccer. The same will be true of MMA.

I mean I hope I'm wrong. I liked the EA game...thought it had a few issues in terms of the wrestling (way, way too easy to sweep) but the submission game and the standup was far superior to Undisputed. And I hoped EA would have the sense to us its boxing licences to do a 'VS' game between boxers and fighters. Klitschko vs Fedor would be fun to play.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #55
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Multiple fight contracts is what initially locks the fighters in. They allow Zuffa to say if you allow your likeness on this video game, then you can't fight here. Oh, and by the way, you can't fight elsewhere because you have 2 fights left on our contract.

You can't where that T-Shirt because they are not an approved sponsor. If you where that shirt, you can't fight. You can't fight elsewhere, because you have a fight with us left on your contract.
Its like that slave contract footballers are made to sign. When you sign with a team they make you play for just that team for the length of the contract - they won't allow you to play the odd game for somebody else. They make you sign away your image rights so that they can use them in their promotional materials. They can decide whether to play or your not. They make you wear the logos of their sponsors, even though all the money goes directly to the club. What utter bastard are those clubs.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #56
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

OK Will one more go. Scurla's point as I saw it was that what ever the faults in the game mechanics they had the money to COMPETE. Look at franchises such as Fight Night and Fifa. EA are the masters of improving franchised games yearly. Scurlas point was they have they financial clout to do it, if they so desired. Now an MMA game franchise is going to be a UFC exclusive.

And my point was without the UFC monopolising the best roster there were still enough big names such as Hendo, Fedor and Randy to make the games marketable.

All that is gone as of yesterday. Are EA really gonna put time and effort into developing a franchise if in 2020 they still have the same fighters on the games that they have now. Because the next Andersons, Fedors and GSP's are going to be on Undisputed 2020 arent they?
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #57
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
OK Will one more go. Scurla's point as I saw it was that what ever the faults in the game mechanics they had the money to COMPETE. Look at franchises such as Fight Night and Fifa. EA are the masters of improving franchised games yearly. Scurlas point was they have they financial clout to do it, if they so desired. Now an MMA game franchise is going to be a UFC exclusive.

And my point was without the UFC monopolising the best roster there were still enough big names such as Hendo, Fedor and Randy to make the games marketable.

All that is gone as of yesterday. Are EA really gonna put time and effort into developing a franchise if in 2020 they still have the same fighters on the games that they have now. Because the next Andersons, Fedors and GSP's are going to be on Undisputed 2020 arent they?
Can i be your fwiend?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #58
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
Its like that slave contract footballers are made to sign. When you sign with a team they make you play for just that team for the length of the contract - they won't allow you to play the odd game for somebody else. They make you sign away your image rights so that they can use them in their promotional materials. They can decide whether to play or your not. They make you wear the logos of their sponsors, even though all the money goes directly to the club. What utter bastard are those clubs.
You're a complete idiot. Your entire argument is so disingenuous and infantile im not sure this even warrants a response. Actually it doesn't warrant a response.

Last edited by scurlaruntings; 03-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #59
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Can i be your fwiend?
HAHA!
Im just calling this as I see it
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #60
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: It starts... Daley threatening to pull out of Diaz fight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
OK Will one more go. Scurla's point as I saw it was that what ever the faults in the game mechanics they had the money to COMPETE. Look at franchises such as Fight Night and Fifa. EA are the masters of improving franchised games yearly. Scurlas point was they have they financial clout to do it, if they so desired. Now an MMA game franchise is going to be a UFC exclusive.

And my point was without the UFC monopolising the best roster there were still enough big names such as Hendo, Fedor and Randy to make the games marketable.

All that is gone as of yesterday. Are EA really gonna put time and effort into developing a franchise if in 2020 they still have the same fighters on the games that they have now. Because the next Andersons, Fedors and GSP's are going to be on Undisputed 2020 arent they?
Again I don't accept that was his point. If it was why was he talking about EA taking the UFC to court?

As for your point I believed I answered that directly. We were already in a situation where the only marketable licence is the UFC. If you don't have that, you don't have anything.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013