Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Name a fighter that made you a fan

Juan Manuel Marquez.

For some reason, i can't even remember, i just didn't like him.

But over the years i've come to appreciate his style, and warrior spirit.
JunitoJab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #32
pacpowerpellet
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 225

froch
pacpowerpellet is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #33
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

It sounds sadistic but it's the hard-fought losses that win me over usually.

-Trinidad. Became a fan after seeing his fight with Hopkins after a few times and his constant effort won me over. He was outclassed but showed heart. I used to dislike him maybe because of the lowblows/handwraps(he didn't cheat which I later found out) but whatever, he was a warrior and boxing was in good hands with him around.

-Cotto. At first I didn't like him because I thought he was trying to find a way out by using lowblows(Judah fight for instance). Two years ago I was watching Cotto-Margarito on yt and I felt sorry that most likely Marg cheated and I also saw his fight with Mosley and I grew respect for him and will always be a fan.

-Duran. I HATE that he quit against Leonard but the guy showed balls against Barkley and had a good fight with MW king at the time, Hagler so I eventually warmed up to him(Not to mention that he could've quit against Lawlor in the first fight because of an injury but wanted to fight on though the fight got stopped. Many people forget that). About a year ago I was looking at random fights of the Fab 4 and I became a fan of them all and still am one.
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #34
IlPadrino
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

There have been a few for me, but Froch stands out. He was always calling out Calzaghe while Joe was still active and I thought he was a complete twat, mainly because he hadn't achieved anything to warrant a match-up. This probably made a lot of people overlook his skills tbh. It's only when he beat Pascal that I had to evaluate him as a fighter and not a person (I know I should have been doing that already, but his incessant calling out of Cal was annoying as ****). I like him for the stuff I disliked him before, but only because he's backed it up, and then some.
IlPadrino is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #35
blur
WLADGLASSJAW
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Probably Froch.
blur is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #36
bernie4366
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1090

Ali when I was a kid, then MAB brought me back into it when I strayed away...
bernie4366 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #37
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Erik Morales

I was always a huge Barrera fan, and that kind of made not too much of a Morales fan when I was younger, but when you keep watching Morales you love him.

Long live Erik Morales, and Marco Antonio Barrera
teeto is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #38
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Erik Morales

I was always a huge Barrera fan, and that kind of made not too much of a Morales fan when I was younger, but when you keep watching Morales you love him.

Long live Erik Morales, and Marco Antonio Barrera
I never understood people just liking one and hating the other. Having one guy you root harder for is one thing, but in all of the recent epic rivalries (Morales-MAB, Vazquez-Marquez, Gatti-Ward, and Chico-JLC although the rubbermatch never did come off) both guys were and remained huge fan favorites, which just makes them all the more interesting. It makes it so that no matter who wins each individual installment of the series, the fans as more or less a whole win (especially where every single one of those 8 fights were nonstop action).

MAB is my guy too, but I never bore a grudge against EM just for being his rival (or even for having personal enmity, which just helped fuel their wars). I've never understood why some fans need to slag the nemeses of their favorites - which you see a lot of between Pac and JMM fans.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #39
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I am a bit older than many of the posters here and my pick goes a good way back. I was just a young kid when Cacius Clay started boxing pro after winning Olympic Gold. I couldn't stand the guy with his brash talk, arrogant attitude, maniacal antics in pre-fight interviews. Like many boxing fans of that era, he just rubbed me the wrong way and every time he fought I wanted to see someone flat KO him to humble him a bit.

As the years passed and he kept winning, I grew to appreciate his talent in the ring. His hand and foot speed for a heavyweight were a thing of beauty to watch. He punched with the speed of a welterweight and moved with the grace of Fred Astaire.

I won't go into depth over how I felt about his religious beliefs, political beliefs and refusal to serve the military. Suffice it to say, I had/have differing opinions, but that is what makes this country what it is. Each of us have the right to choose what path we want to travel.

His path didn't take away from what I saw in the ring when he fought, and over time, I grew to appreciate him as a fighter. There will not be another Muhammad Ali, only imitators.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #40
TricksterLAX
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Timothy Bradley
TricksterLAX is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #41
kommieforniaglo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Mab
kommieforniaglo is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #42
Gonzarelli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

HAMED AND MAYWEATHER.

Never disliked Martinez but didn't think much of him initially He has made me a believer.
Gonzarelli is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #43
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 8025

Roy Jones Jr. made me a hard core boxing fan.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #44
darryl1914
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I am a bit older than most in here, judging by the fighters that were named in this thread already. But as a Kid growing up in Cincinnati....My Dad and several of his friends packed four vans full people and drove for hours, just so we can all support a kid from our "Hood" and Hometown compete in the National Golden Gloves. And in the Finals...Who knew we would be watching two ATG's...at the time.

And after watching this kid from the SAME ****ING BLOCK, Who played on the Same B-Ball Courts, Went to the same Boys Club (I don't think they have Boys Clubs anymore)....I was filled with Pride knowing that a Kid from "My Hood" was a Golden Gloves Champion and I also found my First Love and Passion...BOXING. And just like all major US cities in the 70's and Early 80's The Growth of Infrastructure ruined our neighborhood. They (The City) tore-down The Boys Club that had a Full Boxing Facility and Equipment, just to build several ramps, bypasses and extentions of the I-75 Freeway. So I went from a Boxer to a Hooper in one summer. But I will never forget the Man WHO SPARKED MY INTEREST IN "THE SWEET SCIENCE".

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBKlV9Mptyg[/ame]

Last edited by darryl1914; 03-14-2011 at 02:04 AM.
darryl1914 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #45
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I never understood people just liking one and hating the other. Having one guy you root harder for is one thing, but in all of the recent epic rivalries (Morales-MAB, Vazquez-Marquez, Gatti-Ward, and Chico-JLC although the rubbermatch never did come off) both guys were and remained huge fan favorites, which just makes them all the more interesting. It makes it so that no matter who wins each individual installment of the series, the fans as more or less a whole win (especially where every single one of those 8 fights were nonstop action).

MAB is my guy too, but I never bore a grudge against EM just for being his rival (or even for having personal enmity, which just helped fuel their wars). I've never understood why some fans need to slag the nemeses of their favorites - which you see a lot of between Pac and JMM fans.
I agree with you now IB, but I was only young at the time, I never hated Morales or anything, I just always wanted some kind of evidence to claim Barrera was better, so if Morales was looking below par for example I'd be like 'see Barrera is better', but it didn't go on for long, by the time they had their second fight I was a full blown Morales fan.
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum