Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
gobblock
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default What does "fights without passion" mean to you?

Last night on HBO, Dzinziruk was described before the fight as a typical East European who fights in a robotic style and lacks passion. What does "fighting without passion" mean to you? To me, it exhibiting a very low activity level, only throwing as many punches as you think you have to in order to steal away a round, and generally just doing the bare minimum. When Western media describes Eastern Europeans as lacking passion, are they solely describing the look on the fighter's face, their social demeanor in the ring? Because a fighter doesn't smile or frown or scowl while fighting or talk shit, he lacks passion for boxing? Because he doesn't showboat, he lacks passion? I think consistently fighting, maintaining a good activity level in every round, is a sign of passion, and this is something many popular East European fighters exhibit every time out.

Dzinziruk was active and showed passion and heart as so many other Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, etc. fighters do. Can we get rid of this ridiculous boxing stereotype that clearly isn't based on their style of fighting at all?
gobblock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
J Griz 757
Arturo "Thunder" Gatti
East Side Guru

vCash: 1866
Default Re: What does "fights without passion" mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobblock View Post
Last night on HBO, Dzinziruk was described before the fight as a typical East European who fights in a robotic style and lacks passion. What does "fighting without passion" mean to you? To me, it exhibiting a very low activity level, only throwing as many punches as you think you have to in order to steal away a round, and generally just doing the bare minimum. When Western media describes Eastern Europeans as lacking passion, are they solely describing the look on the fighter's face, their social demeanor in the ring? Because a fighter doesn't smile or frown or scowl while fighting or talk shit, he lacks passion for boxing? Because he doesn't showboat, he lacks passion? I think consistently fighting, maintaining a good activity level in every round, is a sign of passion, and this is something many popular East European fighters exhibit every time out.

Dzinziruk was active and showed passion and heart as so many other Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, etc. fighters do. Can we get rid of this ridiculous boxing stereotype that clearly isn't based on their style of fighting at all?

Good subject.

When one of the announcers mentioned "fighting without passion", that prompted a convo between me and the wife.

I think I agree with you, on that being referred towards fighters with low activity levels. I also think that mixed with a fighter who doesn't really press the action, and with no expressions could prompt a "fighting without passion" tag.

But I will say this, once Dzin got up from the first knockdown, I think that in itself took away anyone's ability to honestly say he had no passion away.
J Griz 757 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
NotAnMMAfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:

Depends upon how your meaning of the word "PASSION" as it relates to boxing. For me passion (in boxing) means entertaining the crowd and putting on a show not just going in there pot-shot your way to victory and don't give a shit about the paying audience.. That's just me and others might have a different approach about it...
NotAnMMAfan is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP

Passion could mean anything to entertaining fans, being aggressive, pushing the fight etc.

But mostly, it's like as if Dzinziruk would rather be doing something else and not fighting at that moment.
eze is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

abraham vs froch
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
gobblock
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
But mostly, it's like as if Dzinziruk would rather be doing something else and not fighting at that moment.
What gave you that impression? His affect? It's easy to misinterpret one's affect across different cultures. He fought beginning to end and got up from knockdowns. He never quit.
gobblock is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Diggersan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

when his trainer said without passion or stone cold he meant don't let emotions get in the way of a great performance, utilitze your skill set, thats all he meant.
Diggersan is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
What gave you that impression? His affect? It's easy to misinterpret one's affect across different cultures. He fought beginning to end and got up from knockdowns. He never quit.

His demeanor, after the first knockdown, while he got up, he just looked disinterested in a way.

He was being beat in every which way, so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't have a look of wanting to be there.

And im not saying he didn't want to be there, just how he looked.
eze is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Doing everything that's needed to secure the victory. Treating it like it's a job that has to be done.

Frazier and Hearns fought without passion in some of their fights.

Someone like Mayorga fights with too much passion.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
gobblock
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggersan View Post
when his trainer said without passion or stone cold he meant don't let emotions get in the way of a great performance, utilitze your skill set, thats all he meant.
Right, his trainer didn't use in a derogatory nature (also note that was a translation of what he said, so we're dealing with even more subjectivity here). The media often says it as if it's a negative, boring trait particular to E. European fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
His demeanor, after the first knockdown, while he got up, he just looked disinterested in a way.

He was being beat in every which way, so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't have a look of wanting to be there.

And im not saying he didn't want to be there, just how he looked.
Yeah, that's the impression I get when I hear most people refer to a lack of passion. Not in the way they fight, but how they look.
gobblock is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
chinachin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Opposite to what Sugar Ray Leonard did in the ring.
chinachin is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 162

It could be a bad thing i.e. someone mentioned Abraham vs. Froch. "I really look and am fighting like I don't want to be here, at all."

OR it could be a good thing i.e. almost every Joe Louis fight. "Don't let it get personal, just take care of business."
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
DMJ_1987
"No Risk, No Reward"

vCash: 500

a prime example of 'a fight with on passion' was this saturdays fight night. the ricky burns fight and the james degale fight were no doubtedly the most boring crappest fights ive ever witnessed in my entire life, they both won yer but its nothing to brag about, wasnt exactly a challenge lol
DMJ_1987 is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

When a fighter isn't willing to "let it all go" meaning they fight without intensity and don't let their hands go too much. Sometimes guys like Monzon could fight w/out passion and fought in a more calculated way but still were willing to do what's necessary in order to win. Guys like Dawson "go through the motions" per se and aren't willing to try their all in order to win i.e. him following Pascal around and doing nothing. Guys with passion were Holyfield, Vargas, Gatti, and as stated before, SRL. Note that the guys I've mentioned are warriors as warriors go "all out" and are willing to kill you or be killed which is why they're so loved by the fans. It all depends on the fighter. Usually calculated guys such as Monzon & sometimes Hopkins are still willing to win despite not being fan-friendly(SOMETIMES Hopkins. He used to be exciting in his prime and even in his old age he still makes eye-friendly fights for the most part such as with Tarver, Taylor 1, Pavlik, and his recent fight with Pascal). Guys without passion just want to win and aren't that willing to trade much which is why many aren't too highly loved by fans.
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

It definitely has to do with the viewer's/listener's definition of passion. Some believe "passion" to be dedication, love of the sport, etc. But what I think they are referring to here is passion as emotion, that he fights without emotion (rage, fear, hunger, etc). Thus the robotic references
megavolt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum