Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Dan Henderson is Open to UFC Return

Henderson isn't as pessimistic as Daley, but that's understandable.
Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

As the mixed martial arts world has since been turned on its head with the recent acquisition of Strikeforce into the Zuffa fold, a lot of fighters have expressed some serious concern.
It’s no secret that UFC President Dana White is one of the most polarizing figures in the sport, and part of his obvious charm is his lack of any sort of censorship. When something is on his mind, he has no problem with freely expressing himself, even if it is at the expense of others, case in point is his disdain for such fighters such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and MMA personality [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]–all of whom have a rocky past with the UFC head honcho.
And while Dana and current Strikeforce light heavyweight champion [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] have had their own troubled past, don’t expect the former PRIDE star to completely rule out a return to the UFC, which could happen very soon.
Henderson was last seen inside the octagon in July of 2009, when at UFC 100 he created an instant highlight reel that fans still talk about, when he brutally knocked out now budding contender [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in a middleweight bout. Dan has shown that his power carries over weight classes, as he has since captured the Strikeforce light heavyweight crown when he landed his same signature right hand to the dome of Rafael “Feijao”, wresting the title away from the dangerous Brazilian striker, who doubles as a training partner for pound-for-pound best, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
His place within Strikeforce seemed secure for the time being, however Dan has since lamented that when his current contract with the San Jose based promotion is up–which holds one more fight–he would not close the door to a return to the UFC.
“I had no plans of leaving (Strikeforce), but I don’t know what this is going to do those plans, but I have one fight left on my deal and we’ll see what happens,” said Henderson, who recently spoke with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] about his pending decisions.
At UFC 100, the Team Quest co-owner completed the final fight on his contract with the Zuffa owned organization and was able to field offers from outside organizations, which he did when he signed with Strikeforce for a larger lump sum–one of which the UFC was unwilling to match. And while Dana had panned Henderson in the press, the California native never held an bad feelings and knew that it was just all business.
“I’ve never said anything bad about them. I always appreciated everything they’ve done for me and for the sport. It’s just I was paid more money to go elsewhere, and that’s what I did. Dana’s the type that needs to talk a little smack if he doesn’t get his way, but I’ve got no hard feelings about anything.”
So when prompted if a return to the UFC and working with Dana White could be possible, Henderson quickly responded with “of course”.
So, MMA peeps, what do you think of the news? Would you like to see Henderson return to the UFC, or do you think his talents are best suited for Strikeforce? Sound off in the comment section below.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dan Henderson is Open to UFC Return

A very savvy business man is Hendo.
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm surprised that the government would allow this type of purchase. It would amount to coke buying out pepsi. The big issue is that it's now a monopoly and the real losers could be the fighters, cause they're going to have to take what's offered or ...

well that's the problem, there is no or..
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post
I'm surprised that the government would allow this type of purchase. It would amount to coke buying out pepsi. The big issue is that it's now a monopoly and the real losers could be the fighters, cause they're going to have to take what's offered or ...

UFC is a monopoly the same way the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, ATP, PGA, etc etc etc are monopolies.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
UFC is a monopoly the same way the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, ATP, PGA, etc etc etc are monopolies.
Those are team sports. Organizations want personalities that sell, but the ultimate goal is winning. Winning a team event requires getting the best players. Personalities have a big impact, but it's ultimately about results.

Individual sports are different. When an individual personality becomes the big sale, the playing field can be slanted to fit the personality. For the most part, the UFC has made the best fight the best. There is no guarantee that this will continue. Okami has recently been ****ed out of a title shot, because a GSP vs Silva fight could be the bigger sell. My apologies to Pierre, because it is not his fault that Okami was shafted; but I hope Shields derails the plans for that fight.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Does anyone agree that at this point, all Dana White is doing is holding the UFC back?
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan View Post

I think the government has more pressing issues than UFC buying a rival
kel is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH|LLA View Post
An utterly ridiculously poor ****ogy. Why on earth do UFC fans insist with this stupid comparison?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtieDrake View Post
A very savvy business man is Hendo.
Lets see what happens when he wants more money and wants to wear his brand in the UFC. That was the reason why he left the UFC the last time. He left for PRIDE the first time because they offered more money. Id hazard a wild guess that if DREAM is still around or may be even M-1 he'll end up there.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

This would not be allowed in the UK... it is bad for the fighters. If they get offered a lower rate of pay then they had before where can they go now?!

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Exactly Lynchburg! Say GSP is taking home 10 percent of the PPV money. What's to stop the UFC from cutting that?
''Well **** you Dana, Im off to Strikef...oh wait''
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Exactly Lynchburg! Say GSP is taking home 10 percent of the PPV money. What's to stop the UFC from cutting that?
''Well **** you Dana, Im off to Strikef...oh wait''
Thats exactly what the UFC will do. Although i don't expect them to mess around too much with the contracts of their major stars. That would not be sensible business. But the lower tier fighters and mid leaguers are going to get bent over.
The UFC will cull fighters so now's a great time for them to do it.
I hope Duffee's rang that ice cream parlour. There's ZERO chance of him ever coming back to the UFC.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I may be optimistic but they still need the likes of GSP and Randy for their brand so I doubt they'll **** them over.
But if Georges and Randy's successors as PPV draws are hoping to get as sweet a deal as them then they can forget it imo
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I may be optimistic but they still need the likes of GSP and Randy for their brand so I doubt they'll **** them over.
But if Georges and Randy's successors as PPV draws are hoping to get as sweet a deal as them then they can forget it imo
Wont happen. They dont need them anymore. They have the brand recognition. Is Tito or Shamrock still getting a pension from the UFC? Course not. Its a slave wage from here on out. Thats bound to have a negative effect on fights, talent and the long term future of MMA.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Bad time for fighters... guys like M Kamp were only getting $30k or so anyway for fighting on the main card. It sounds like a lot but when you think about training costs and everything else it is not a lot for the risk they take

Compare the money to boxing and it is a joke! The UFC make about $70m plus for each PPV. Out of that they pay the fighters about $2 - $3m plus bonuses... What happens to the rest?!

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum