Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Did Louis hit harder than Foreman?

It almost looks like Foreman hits harder

But he never drove anyones teeth into their mouthpiece, at least not that im aware of. Louis did it to Uzcudun and Braddock. Uzcudun according to Ray Arcel, got up to take a shower in his room 20 minutes after the fight, and fell over, still affected by the Louis punch.

When I look at the felled bodies of the victims of Foreman and Louis, Louis' victims seem to stay on the canvas longer. Louis also seems to have the ability to remove someone from the consciousness better than Foreman.

I know they are two different punching styles altogether, but I think my opinion recently has changed to Louis being the strongest/hardest puncher in boxing history.
reznick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Did Louis hit harder than Foreman?

hmmm, good question

better but not harder. louis had better technique, timing and precision

foreman had none of those yet still manage to bludgeon world class fighters nearly to death

foreman had more raw punching power but louis did far more with his
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
hmmm, good question

better but not harder.
louis had better technique, timing and precision

foreman had none of those yet still manage to bludgeon world class fighters nearly to death

foreman had more raw punching power but louis did far more with his
That's what I was thinking. I think that's...that's what it is.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Look at what Louis did in the second Schmelling fight, was this maybe the hardest punching in the history of the sport.
punchy is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Louis's first punch usually numbed you,but the second or 3rd if necessary, put you in dreamland.Joe punched in such fast combo clusters that the accumulate effect of his punches was unmatched. Foreman was a slower punch ,more like a bludgeon.
Of course Louis could put you in dreamland with one punch ala, Paolino Uzcudun ,who
was the George Chuvalo of his time. My favorite puncher of alltime...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
It almost looks like Foreman hits harder

But he never drove anyones teeth into their mouthpiece, at least not that im aware of. Louis did it to Uzcudun and Braddock. Uzcudun according to Ray Arcel, got up to take a shower in his room 20 minutes after the fight, and fell over, still affected by the Louis punch.

When I look at the felled bodies of the victims of Foreman and Louis, Louis' victims seem to stay on the canvas longer. Louis also seems to have the ability to remove someone from the consciousness better than Foreman.

I know they are two different punching styles altogether, but I think my opinion recently has changed to Louis being the strongest/hardest puncher in boxing history.
Louis did not drive Uzcudun's teeth into his mouthpiece, he knocked several of his gold replacement ones out, onto the canvas .A ringside reporter said they lay there like a charm bracelet.
Jess Willard took out two of Johnson's gold teeth with one left hook, the public never knew, because his pride would not let him spit them out ,he swallowed them .
Louis was probably the most perfectly correct of the big hitters,in terms of technique.
Foreman seemed to wobble guys just with some of his arm punches, he was very heavy handed.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
Louis did not drive Uzcudun's teeth into his mouthpiece, he knocked several of his gold replacement ones out, onto the canvas .A ringside reporter said they lay there like a charm bracelet.
Jess Willard took out two of Johnson's gold teeth with one left hook, the public never knew, because his pride would not let him spit them out ,he swallowed them .
Louis was probably the most perfectly correct of the big hitters,in terms of technique.
Foreman seemed to wobble guys just with some of his arm punches, he was very heavy handed.
Thanks for the info, wow, Willard did that, and Johnson swallowed his teeth? Thats incredible

And I agree with the general census of this thread, that Foremans punches were more of a blunt force while Louis punches were more sharp and pinpoint accurate.

But which of the two styles do you guys think is the most damaging? I know its almost apples and oranges here, but I do believe Louis was a more deadly fighter to face off against than Foreman

Ive seen Foremans power make fighters do some funny things, but Louis had Schmeling holding onto the ropes yelping after huge body shots.
reznick is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick View Post
Thanks for the info, wow, Willard did that, and Johnson swallowed his teeth? Thats incredible

And I agree with the general census of this thread, that Foremans punches were more of a blunt force while Louis punches were more sharp and pinpoint accurate.

But which of the two styles do you guys think is the most damaging? I know its almost apples and oranges here, but I do believe Louis was a more deadly fighter to face off against than Foreman

Ive seen Foremans power make fighters do some funny things, but Louis had Schmeling holding onto the ropes yelping after huge body shots.
Louis fractured vertebrae in Schmeling's back he went back to Germany on a stretcher.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

foreman was stronger, but louis was the better puncher as his technique was vastly superior (for me this means he hit 'harder' more often i.e. his punches had more of an effect). louis was maybe the greatest puncher in the history of boxing. even after charles had thoroughly outboxed louis, look at what his face looked like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHObXnwGXQ4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHObXnwGXQ4&feature=related[/ame]
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Meast

vCash: 900

Probably yeah, he certainly did some damage over the years.

As Boucher said, look what he did to Uzcudun, glad there's no pictures around of that.
Meast is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast View Post
Probably yeah, he certainly did some damage over the years.

As Boucher said, look what he did to Uzcudun, glad there's no pictures around of that.
No footage of the ko ,unfortunately.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In no 3 " a couple of heavyweight fights, " Firpo's ko of Willard is shown.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

Being that Foreman was bigger than Louis. I would say that he hit harder than Louis.
I think Louis was a better puncher though.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Foreman hit harder.

Foreman's punching technique is so bad in comparison that he has to have had more power to achieve even comparable results. Imagine Foreman hitting with the Louis technique? Sweet Jesus.

So every now and then Foreman is going to catch that pure power in a bottle labelled "good technique" and lay a guy out dead. Louis hit you well more consistently though, and yeah, is the much superior puncher overall too.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Foreman was all about blunt force trauma, he had more raw power, but crude technique.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Foreman hit Harder.
Abdullah is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum