Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Meast

vCash: 900
Default Re: Did Louis hit harder than Foreman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher View Post
No footage of the ko ,unfortunately.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In no 3 " a couple of heavyweight fights, " Firpo's ko of Willard is shown.
Cheers
Meast is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Remember that 'power' is a combination of speed and strength.

Foreman:

Strength - 9.5/10
Speed - 4.5/10

Louis:

Strength - 8/10
Speed - 8.5/10
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post

Foreman:

Strength - 9.5/10
Speed - 4.5/10

Louis:

Strength - 8/10
Speed - 8.5/10
this is how i see it. when someone says 'he hit me hard' the effect that that person feels is a combination of the punch's accuracy, speed, strength, snap etc... every now and again everything would come together for a foreman punch, but the majority of the time, louis' punches had the greater effect.
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

I was about to easily dismiss Louis and only say he was a better puncher but thinking about it now I believe Louis may have hit harder as speed+technique+accuracy can equate to power and Louis excels Foreman in those categories. I still would not want to get hit flush by either while they were in their boxing careers.
techks is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

It is certainly plausible that Louis hit harder, but I suspect that he didn't.

Louis's results can more readily be atributed to delivery than Foreman's, so that arguably bumps his power down a peg.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #21
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Foreman:

Strength - 9.5/10
Speed - 4.5/10

Louis:

Strength - 8/10
Speed - 8.5/10
I don't disagree with your assessment ,though I would include timing, but how did you arrive at these numbers?
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
It is certainly plausible that Louis hit harder, but I suspect that he didn't.

Louis's results can more readily be atributed to delivery than Foreman's, so that arguably bumps his power down a peg.
Jersey Joe Walcott stated that Marciano had more one punch power than Louis, and he said it while he was sitting next to Joe.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #23
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't disagree with your assessment ,though I would include timing, but how did you arrive at these numbers?
Timing is another aspect altogether and not so purely physical as speed and power, however, technique is the big one. Technique turns a light puncher into a heavy puncher.

What's wrong with those numbers?
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Timing is another aspect altogether and not so purely physical as speed and power, however, technique is the big one. Technique turns a light puncher into a heavy puncher.

What's wrong with those numbers?
On what are they based?
Did you just catch them out of the air?
I don't think you can define what makes a puncher.
Ring magazine tried ,they picked their choices and ,confidently wrote down a lot of waffle about muscles and leverage ,fact is punchers come in all shapes and sizes and no one really knows why,imo.

You have the technique of a Louis,an Arguello,the bludgeoning strength of a Foreman, the wildman swinging from the floor of a Ketchel, or a Jenkins, the precision,of a Fitz, or a Langford.
The skinny bangers who drop them for dead, like Wilde, Foster,Saddler.
The powerhouses, like Liston,Williams Shavers, Baer, all of them contradict each other.
Why did Julian Jackson hit so hard, ditto Lausse, McLellan,? How come Fitz and Choynski could leave you flat out like a dead mackeral ? Whereas hulks like Jeffries rarely did?
Truth is we don't know.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
On what are they based?
Did you just catch them out of the air?
I don't think you can define what makes a puncher.
Ring magazine tried ,they picked their choices and ,confidently wrote down a lot of waffle about muscles and leverage ,fact is punchers come in all shapes and sizes and no one really knows why,imo.

You have the technique of a Louis,an Arguello,the bludgeoning strength of a Foreman, the wildman swinging from the floor of a Ketchel, or a Jenkins, the precision,of a Fitz, or a Langford.
The skinny bangers who drop them for dead, like Wilde, Foster,Saddler.
The powerhouses, like Liston,Williams Shavers, Baer, all of them contradict each other.
Why did Julian Jackson hit so hard, ditto Lausse, McLellan,? How come Fitz and Choynski could leave you flat out like a dead mackeral ? Whereas hulks like Jeffries rarely did?
Truth is we don't know.
Did you think I was asserting my claims with conviction backed up by scientific evidence?

Of course everything we write in these scenarios are estimates. That's obvious.

But besides that, I wasn't trying to quantify either of them in terms of 'how good a puncher' they were. Merely strength and speed, the latter of which is quite visual and evidenced on film, the former, less so but still to some degree. We can clearly see that Louis had some quick hands for his size, and we can probably guess that Foreman was stronger. He's quite blatantly slower on camera, probably average or below average for a heavyweight in the speed department.

However, I believe we can understand the differences between punchers with a little bit of knowledge on how power is produced, leverage, how punches affect the brain and the general mechanics of the human body.

P.S. - the RING punchers list was okay at times, but grossly inconsistent.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Did you think I was asserting my claims with conviction backed up by scientific evidence?

Of course everything we write in these scenarios are estimates. That's obvious.

But besides that, I wasn't trying to quantify either of them in terms of 'how good a puncher' they were. Merely strength and speed, the latter of which is quite visual and evidenced on film, the former, less so but still to some degree. We can clearly see that Louis had some quick hands for his size, and we can probably guess that Foreman was stronger. He's quite blatantly slower on camera, probably average or below average for a heavyweight in the speed department.

However, I believe we can understand the differences between punchers with a little bit of knowledge on how power is produced, leverage, how punches affect the brain and the general mechanics of the human body.

P.S. - the RING punchers list was okay at times, but grossly inconsistent.
I found their explanations unconvincing ,and contradictory.
I met Reg Gutteridge a couple of times, he was a nice guy,and interesting to talk to at ringside,but some of the selections, in his book the" Big Punchers " baffled me, Cerdan,Hagler, Downes, Charnley?
I think its a mystery why some have awesome power ,just as why some can take thunderbolt shots, and some fall, when you land a jab square on them.
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #27
sirhenrycooper6

vCash:

it is the fact ,
foreman did punch harder and had moar strength and stability .
Louis did have better speed and accuracy ,
but not comparable to the brutal raw power ,
of Foreman .
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
Boucher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhenrycooper6 View Post
it is the fact ,
foreman did punch harder and had moar strength and stability .
Louis did have better speed and accuracy ,
but not comparable to the brutal raw power ,
of Foreman .
That 's it then ,glad it's sorted
Boucher is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
I found their explanations unconvincing ,and contradictory.
I met Reg Gutteridge a couple of times, he was a nice guy,and interesting to talk to at ringside,but some of the selections, in his book the" Big Punchers " baffled me, Cerdan,Hagler, Downes, Charnley?
I think its a mystery why some have awesome power ,just as why some can take thunderbolt shots, and some fall, when you land a jab square on them.
Ah, you own 'Big Punchers' too

Good book, but yes, as you said, some of the selections were strange. Hagler wasn't a bad choice, I mean, at the time of writing he was knocking everybody out. While not a great hitter alongside Louis, he was a big banger in his own era.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #30
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I believe Louis has become underrated as a puncher by a few because he did everything so damn well while the others did not .. almost like giving the other guy a round because he only lost it buy a bit instead of a ton ... Louis , to me, was as dangerous a puncher as I've ever seen on film ... He destroyed guys with iron chins like Schmeling , the Baer Brothers and Galento ... see the shots he pulverized gigantic Abe Simon with and watch the huge man cringe with pain ... Foreman was the physically stronger man but then again I'd pick Foreman , naturally, over any heavyweight in strength ...

Maybe Chuvalo said it best when comparing Foreman w Frazier power wise ... put Louis in as a combination of the best of both ...

Funny hearing Frazier comparing Foreman and Ali in the ring ... on guy talks, jabs and runs while the other guy hits like a sledge hammer ... sound effect thrown in ...

Best single shot I may lean to Foreman by a hair but Louis was by far the better puncher .. he'd throw and land more hard shots ...
he grant is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum