Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157
Default So which fighters will make the leap from SF to UFC right away?

Thoughts?
sugarngold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: So which fighters will make the leap from SF to UFC right away?

Depends...if K-1 is really over, IMO everyone that can get in the UFC will... !

Wich means not Barnett and not Dailey
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
will4009
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Jason Miller, hasnt got a fight lined up and has tryed for the last 6 months to fight diaz but diaz wont fight him at 185. think his contract is almost up? plus he can talk a fight and the ufc like guys that know how to promote themselves and build up a fight.
will4009 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
jrow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

fedor....no just kidding....but on a serious note i would say maybe someone like a robbie lawler danas always been high on him put him up against belcher,akiyama,leben,stann slug fest type fights fans love
jrow is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

I know he said he might be retiring but i would love to see fedor fight in the ufc. I don't care if he fight couture or mir. Just want to see fedor fights in the ufc.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Vitor Belfort
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrow View Post
fedor....no just kidding....but on a serious note i would say maybe someone like a robbie lawler danas always been high on him put him up against belcher,akiyama,leben,stann slug fest type fights fans love
Hell yeah lawler is excting to watch. I really want to see him fight tiago alves. I know alves is a welterweight but dude is freaking huge. He could fight @ 185. I like to see him fight lawler.
Vitor Belfort is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

I don't think that's how it's going to work. I reckon their contracts will have to expire first, but I could be wrong.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Overeem depends on the K1 situation , but him Fedor and Silva you would think would be a given to move across (im not sure what M1's take on this would be and potential clauses involved in Fedor fighting in the UFC)

Diaz , Daley and Henderson will not move clearly , Melendez will more likely stay with SF too , i actually think barring the HW's the UFC will have there eye on nobody from SF , Diaz is anti UFC and likes flitting between the States and Japan , and is quite happy building up a solid reputation based on knocking off B level WW's , Daley's out as is Henderson , Melendez is almost in the same bracket as Diaz in that he is happy at SF and seems to be a good ticket seller for that promotion .

I actually see it going the other way TBH , i see more UFC fringe level fighters moving to SF , in all divisions barring HW , incidentlally the UFC's HW division is the one division lacking real depth with real talent , well they have access to that talent now and can complete that division with Fedor , Overeem and Silva , maybe even Barnett if he can look good in the coming GP

If the UFC have any sense they will offload more fighters to SF , and stack there cards with a bit more quality and strength in depth . And use it as a sister organisation for fringe talent and for new up and coming starts of the future . A bit like the WEC during the days they had decent divisions outside of BW & FW

All this BTW would have to be implemented after the Grand Priz , so its still a way down the line , but one would think Dana White is already lining up the winner of that GP against the current UFC champion at that time (Velasquez or JDS one would think) , even though it was agree'd that the winner (if not Overeem) would face Overeem for the title .
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 888

They should offload a lot of lightweight fighters to SF for sure. There's some guys with names that have been on losing streaks that could help the SF brand that aren't much use to the UFC at this point like Joe Stevenson.
Ubersteve is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I imagine the guys that would be cut from UFc will be offered to Coker. I think all the top fighters will eventually transition over, what's left will act as a feeder company for UFC. The titles need to go really, once all the belts get unified, do away with the Strikeforce versions.

People I really want to see in UFC. Everyone in the Grand Prix that is viable (I.e not Fedor, Barnett, and probably leave Arlovski behind, I'm not sold on Brett Rogers but he could fight the likes of Mitrione, Schaub, Struve etc etc if nothing else) Mayhem Miller, Robbie Lawler, Jacare, Manhoef (could have some quality slugfests!) Hendo, Daley (surely he can be given another shot if he beats Nick!) Nick Diaz, Melendez, **** me, there's loadsa guys who could make it interesting.

Lawal, Gracie, Mousasi and Feijao would no doubt give Jon Jones/Shogun more of a gauntlet to run

Let's hope the integration of the top guys doesn't take too long.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

The UFC don't have the room to start bringing names to the company yet. I think that's why they're holding off. It's their property though, right? So they can do whatever they want, whenever they want?

The more you think about it, they really are using Strikeforce.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
The UFC don't have the room to start bringing names to the company yet. I think that's why they're holding off. It's their property though, right? So they can do whatever they want, whenever they want?

The more you think about it, they really are using Strikeforce.
I don't have to think about that's exactly what they are doing, SF has been slowly assembling a good stable of fighters and Dana wants to bring them in and have all the best fighters in the UFC.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

If Zuffa is smart - they will keep Strikeforce around as a feeder org in the same way Vince uses OVW for the WWE.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
If Zuffa is smart - they will keep Strikeforce around as a feeder org in the same way Vince uses OVW for the WWE.
Apparently it's business as usuall until the contracts runout, so I guess it will slowly happen depending on what kind of contracts and how long they are.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
OVW's more for development though. There's no way the UFC will keep SF as it makes no economic sense. Obviously it would have been preferable if PRIDE WEC WFA and SF were all still operating under the Zuffa umbrella. But the reality is MMA as a sport just isn't big enough for that yet and the profit margins and money aren't there when they're run by a Mafia Cartel family.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum