Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Re-reading "Legacy of Ashes"-- Someone has to, right Wige?
Posts: 2,293
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Exactly hes acting like if those Americans in general are not more highly regarded... When in fact they are and not just by Americans but by the general world boxing public.... Jones,Toney,Hopkins are All time greats..Nunn great temporarily, G-Man one of the most dangerous punchers ever. Eubank,Benn,Kalamby are bordering HOF, Graham and Watson are not or ever will be considered for the IBHOF.

PS Hoopsman you are so right about them being hung up on comparisons, as i never even thought of these fighters nationalities when making the comparisons, i ididnt realize that until the Euro up there^ brought it to my attention.
Word, bro.

Thus far, your assessment of Sergio's chances against the "iron" of the 1990s remains the most accurate and defensible on this particular thread and it ain't even close.
hoopsman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 30,425
vCash: 233
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Indio View Post
How would he do against these guys:

Roy Jones
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Mike Mcallum
Chris Eubank
Nigel Benn
Michael Watson
Michael Nunn
Gerald Mclellan
Sumbu Kalambay
Bomber Graham
Julian Jackson
what a great list
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,358
vCash: 107
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Sergio is a great fighter, but loses to RJ for sure, possibly Toney, and possibly McCullum. The rest tend to get overrated, including Calzaghe. Hopkins that fought Mercado and RJ is not the defensive counterpunching versatile genius he became at the turn of the millenium and many people seem to forget or not know that.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #20
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Ok its gonna take too long to dissect all of them so ill just say win,Lose or pickem on these.

Jones beats Martinez probably by ko
Toney this is almost pickem but ill go with Toney
Hopkins Bhop wins a close decision
Mccallum This is a pickem, draw or split decision for either guy.
Eubank very competetive fight but Martinez does more and wins close but convincing decision

Benn Martinez survives early kd and scare and comesback to stop Benn in the mid rounds

Watson Martinez wins this in exciting match late stoppage
Nunn Nunn fights a safety first fight after tasting Martinez power early and wins a decision

Mccellan- More times the bigger Mccellan takes out by the midrounds, however i can see Martinez surviving the storm and getting G-Man late or winning a decision

Kalamby- Very close win for Martinez judges like his harder punching in a fight that could have gone either way.

Graham- Graham looks great takes the early rounds, by mid rounds Martinez is doing well then stops Graham late.

Jackson- Pickem... Either Man looks brilliant in win... Jackson by brutal Ko or Martinez puts on clinic then scores big ko.
By saying "getting Gman late" then saying OR "by decision" it sounds like you're saying you think he could stop Mclellan??

So Gerald could take the best shots from Jackson, Benn, and even Hearns when Gerald was only a teenager without ever getting hurt, yet you think ****ing Sergio Martinez could stop him. It's official, Martinez's overratedness has reached gold status.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Sergio is a great fighter, but loses to RJ for sure, possibly Toney, and possibly McCullum. The rest tend to get overrated, including Calzaghe. Hopkins that fought Mercado and RJ is not the defensive counterpunching versatile genius he became at the turn of the millenium and many people seem to forget or not know that.
Ya people saying Hopkins wins but then say Mccallum is 50/50 or even loses baffles the hell out of me. Mccallum's skills >>>>>> Hopkins
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #22
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The Hood
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 75
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

How the **** does martinez beat a prime hopkins when calzaghe got a split decision on an old fart hopkins, basically won on activity and didnt connect very cleanly all night.

Hopkins that fought echols kicks martinez' ass.


Come to think of it, isnt Martinez' big claim to fame beating Pavlik who old fart Hopkins beat first? But martinez beats hopkins?
elTerrible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #23
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,358
vCash: 107
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Ya people saying Hopkins wins but then say Mccallum is 50/50 or even loses baffles the hell out of me. Mccallum's skills >>>>>> Hopkins
Hopkins from the 90's was an aggressive boxer/puncher nothing like the counterpuncher defensive fighter we know of today. Almost like comparing Sergio that Margarito walked over to the Sergio of today. Mccallum in his prime was one of the most underrated fighters ever.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Martinez didn't impress me that much in his fight with a true middleweight in Pavlik. He loses to most on that list, if not all. Maybe he gets a couple wins. Best fighter he could possibly beat - Toney (when Toney has an really off-night/shitty performance). Otherwise, Toney beats him decisively. I like Sergio, but I'm sick of hearing how he'd stack up well against some ATGs. He wouldn't.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
Hopkins from the 90's was an aggressive boxer/puncher nothing like the counterpuncher defensive fighter we know of today. Almost like comparing Sergio that Margarito walked over to the Sergio of today. Mccallum in his prime was one of the most underrated fighters ever.
Agree on both counts. But even the Hopkins with his high ring IQ that we know from his later career is still not as well rounded (certinaly on offense) and intelligent a fighter as Mccallum.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #26
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTerrible View Post
How the **** does martinez beat a prime hopkins when calzaghe got a split decision on an old fart hopkins, basically won on activity and didnt connect very cleanly all night.

Hopkins that fought echols kicks martinez' ass.


Come to think of it, isnt Martinez' big claim to fame beating Pavlik who old fart Hopkins beat first? But martinez beats hopkins?
Yet Hokins got what are arguably his two best wins just before and after his Calzaghe fight...hater.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #27
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,358
vCash: 107
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

I'm not going to hype Martinez, but I'm not going to discredit they guy either. It's been awhile since Manny came along that we haven't got a fighter as dominant and exciting as Martinez. Of course, Nonito also is on his way to become a household name so it's normal for these great modern day fighters to get hyped to a degree. Some will live up to the hype, others won't. We'll see.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #28
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchivito View Post
I'm not going to hype Martinez, but I'm not going to discredit they guy either. It's been awhile since Manny came along that we haven't got a fighter as dominant and exciting as Martinez. Of course, Nonito also is on his way to become a household name so it's normal for these great modern day fighters to get hyped to a degree. Some will live up to the hype, others won't. We'll see.
I really like Martinez it's just frustrating because you want to see how good he really is. If he retires in the next 1-2 years and resume looks like

Williams
Pavlik
Dzinziruk
Lee
Chavez/Zbik
Angulo

and consists of 154lb fights and non elite 160 lb fights it would be a let down. I just want to see him fight the toughest MW fighters e.g: Pirog, Golovkin, N'jikam, Lemieux (after he beats Rubio and Chavez/Zbik) Maybe Korobov after Lemieux. If he wants to get a payday by fighting someone like Cotto in between a couple of those other guys okay. Fight 2 or 3 top MW's though.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #29
kalunya5964
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,131
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Indio View Post
How would he do against these guys:

Roy Jones
James Toney
Bernard Hopkins
Mike Mcallum
Chris Eubank
Nigel Benn
Michael Watson
Michael Nunn
Gerald Mclellan
Sumbu Kalambay
Bomber Graham
Julian Jackson
Roy, Toney, Maclellan and Jackson beat him by KO while Hopkins and Nunn UD him. The rest are 50-50 but I favor him over Mcallum, Benn, Kalambay and Graham.
kalunya5964 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #30
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,358
vCash: 107
Default Re: Martinez against the 90's middles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
I really like Martinez it's just frustrating because you want to see how good he really is. If he retires in the next 1-2 years and resume looks like

Williams
Pavlik
Dzinziruk
Lee
Chavez/Zbik
Angulo

and consists of 154lb fights and non elite 160 lb fights it would be a let down. I just want to see him fight the toughest MW fighters e.g: Pirog, Golovkin, N'jikam, Lemieux (after he beats Rubio and Chavez/Zbik)
Yes, that is a realistic scenerio and even though it's not the best resume, it is a likely one. I'm a big fan of Golovkin I hope he becomes as successful in the pros as he was in the amateurs. The world is also waiting for Pirog. Lee, Chavez, Zbik, those are pretty predictable. Pirog, Golovkin, Angulo, Lara, and Lemieux all have a chance, a slim one, but can compete on a Paul Williams level if not higher. I think Pirog is the most dangerous fight for Sergio even though Pirog only has the win over Jacobs, but that is the one the fans want to see. I honestly don't see anyone 160 or lower beating Sergio.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013